Year by Year: Your Top Five based on IMDb Votes - 2003

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Hellbilly, Jul 21, 2013.

?

Pick five: 2003

1. A Tale of Two Sisters

27.8%
  2. Gozu

9.3%
  3. High Tension (Haute tension)

72.2%
  4. Dead End

11.1%
  5. Final Destination 2

50.0%
  6. One Missed Call

9.3%
  7. Ju-on: The Grudge 2

7.4%
  8. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

40.7%
  9. Willard

13.0%
  10. Wrong Turn

61.1%
  11. Beyond Re-Animator

27.8%
  12. House of 1000 Corpses

38.9%
  13. Freddy vs. Jason

48.1%
  14. Gothika

1.9%
  15. The Gathering

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Undead

7.4%
  17. Dreamcatcher

1.9%
  18. Jeepers Creepers II

20.4%
  19. Darkness Falls

7.4%
  20. House of the Dead

5.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

You're more or less correct. I've seen Demon Knight many times, but Bordello only...twice? I think. It may very well have been a decade since I saw Bordello, and probably 5 or 6 years since I saw Demon Knight. And yes, I couldn't really care less if special effects are lame or not. The Transformers films have amazing special effects - the point being that it doesn't really say anything about a film's quality, one way or the other, as far as I'm concerned.

I can't go into a lengthy dissertation on what Bordello's strengths and weaknesses are. To be honest, considering the question was about the quality of horror films made in 1995 (despite this being the 2003 thread), I'm a little confused as to why you brought up Bordello in the first place. Unless it was just to be confrontational.

Regardless, I remember not caring for Bordello as much as Demon Knight when I first saw it. I rewatched it in university to see if my feelings had changed, and they hadn't. My limited memory is that it was trying to be funnier than Demon Knight was, but that the jokes weren't particularly successful. That Dennis Millar wasn't particularly funny or likable. And that Erica Eleniak and Corey Feldman just weren't that entertaining or compelling to watch. Angie Everhart, on the other hand, I recall liking. It's not that I think the movie is terrible, just a disappointment after Demon Knight.

Now again, I can't cite chapter and verse to give you concrete examples for any of this, but that's what I remember thinking. Also, beyond what the title conveys, I can recall precious little about what the story was in Bordello. Demon Knight, on the other hand, had a story that I really enjoyed. The plot was structured well, there were plenty of surprises built into it, and I loved how it progressively escalated the stakes. First it was one guy chasing the other, then it was a siege on a hotel full of people, and then it became a battle for the future of the human race. I also liked the scope of the story, how it tied in references to the first world war, and the whole revisionist Christianity angle (before The Davinci code put that in vogue). It also had great actors playing great characters - William Sadler, Jada Pinkett, Billy Zane, Thomas Haden Church, CCH Pounder. And Dick Miller, for Christ's sake! That's a fantastic cast. And there were really well-established relationships between the characters as well. Allegiances, old grudges, double-crosses, fatal flaws, corruption, betrayal...it just had a lot of interesting dynamics going on. It had a great soundtrack, too (one of the first CDs I ever bought, and one of the few I've still held on to). It's just a really enjoyable movie. From 1995.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  2. rhett

rhett Administrator

A lot of good horror here, and from a lot of different sub-genres and countries, that's when you know the genre was thriving.

My picks:

High Tension (might be my favorite horror film this decade - just adore the style, gore, performances and throwback to the slashers of yore. Shame Aja hasn't really lived up to his debut)
    Freddy vs. Jason (still seemed too good to be true when I sat down to watch this in theaters in 2003)
    Final Destination 2 (Ellis stages some epic deaths, maybe it's mired in a bit too much plot, but still one of the series high-points)
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (bringing the old DP back to shoot this was the best decision they could have made. Great visual style transcends what's often a wrote Hollywood remake)
    Wrong Turn (RIP Stan Winston)

3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

A Tale of Two Sisters
    House of 1,000 Corpses
    High Tension
    Ju-On: The Grudge 2
    Wrong Turn

4. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

That's how I felt upon re-visiting.

5. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I must have took your quote from the 1995 thread and posted it here by mistake. If I have anything else to say, I'll post it in the '95 thread.