Your Favorite Kind Of Horror Film

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by SaviniFan, Jan 11, 2006.

?

What Is Your Favorite Kind Of Horror?

1. Giallo

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  2. Slasher

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  3. Exploitation

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  4. Monster

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  5. Nature Gone Wild

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  6. Gory

5 vote(s)
    9.8%
  7. Mondo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Sci-Fi Horror

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  9. Based On A True Story

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  10. Other

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
  1. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Exactly.

2. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

Its hard to choose

3. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Definitely gory. :evil:

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I'm a monster man. The term "monster" covers a lot of ground and is open to interpretation. Vampires, Werewolves, Kaiju, Ghosts, demons, The Tall Man, Rampaging Robots, Aliens, Mutations, zombies, etc, etc, etc, pretty much everything and everyone not 100% human is a monster as far as I'm concerned (natural forms of animal and plant life excluded). That goes for notorious superhuman slashers like Michael Myers (in particular Halloween 4-6, The Thorn Trilogy) and Jason Voorhees (from F13 part 6 on) as well.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  5. Coverdale

Coverdale Guest

I picked gialli.

What? No one picked mondo?

6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

1) Monster
    2) Exploitation
    3) Nature gone wild
    4) Giallo

7. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

Other. The horror movies that impress me, and affect me, the most are those that are primarily psychological. And by that, those that are most concerned with exploring the gradual changes in someone's reactions to a situation, rather than just parade a string of screaming victims across the screen. Those that focus on the systematic destruction of a decent person are the ones that disturb me the most. The rest of the movie focus I would consider secondary. Good examples IMO (and by no means an exhaustive list) are Dead Zone, The Thing (1982), Prince of Darkness, Frailty, The Fly, Dark Water, Jaws, The Last Man on Earth, Misery, Se7en, Cronos.

Second choice, and somewhat related, are movies that fundamentally alter the reality the characters are part of. Not just some killer / monster on the loose, but the very world (or the part the characters primarily occupy) is somehow shifted. Good examples are Quatermass and the Pit, Hellraiser, Phantasm, From Beyond, In the Mouth of Madness, Jacob's Ladder, Village of the Damned (1960).

Third choice, a good ghost / demon / gothic horror story. Just something about old school bump in the night, or morality undertoned (i.e. you'll pay for your sins, don't play God, etc) stories still appeal to me. Examples are The Asphyx, Burnt Offerings, The Exorcist, Night of the Demon, The Changeling, Faust, The Fog, The Devil's Backbone.

Fourth choice, a good monster story. The more bizarre the monster, the more bizarre its method of assault, the better. Slasher flicks don't do it for me - some nutjob running around with a knife, big deal. Odd thing is I don't think that is enough for most slasher flick fans, either, because they seem to flock most to slasher films where the killer is somehow inhumanly strong or resilient (in essence, turning the human into a superhuman monster). Good monster movie examples IMO are Island of Terror, The Blob, Night of the Living Dead, Deep Rising, Tremors, Alien.

Obviously there is a lot of overlap in the above. The more choices the movie picks from the above menu choices, odds are the more I'll like it (if it doesn't inherently suck from incompetent acting, directing, or writing).