Your Favorite Shinya Tsukamoto Film?

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Ashen Jackal, May 6, 2015.

1. Ashen Jackal

Ashen Jackal New Member

I noticed Bullet Ballet was listed in the description of this section. So, lets party! What is your favorite Shinya Tsukamoto film? I'd have to go with Tetsuo: The Iron Man. I feel that it was his most raw film. It is layers within layers of grinding metal and rage. Most people don't understand what they've just seen, but Truly it was love at first sight for me.
    [​IMG]
    So, you choose now!

2. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I've only seen 4 Shinya films: Tetsuo (which I didn't like), Hiruko, Sakuya, and Ichi the Killer. Hiruko is my favorite followed by Ichi.

3. Ashen Jackal

Ashen Jackal New Member

Didn't like Tetsuo, huh. :p Not really surprising. XD Most people don't have the stomach to sift through such a film, yet it was that film that made him a famous Cult film director in Japan. I really liked Ichi the killer overall, but I felt its end was a little flat. As for Hiruko the Goblin, I have yet to get my hands on a copy, but since you like it best maybe I should try a little harder to obtain it :)

4. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Member

Gemini, a perverse story of two twin brothers. It's one of my favorite Japanese horror films. I realize I have to watch more Tsukamoto. I have only seen Tetsuo 1 and 3, Haze, Nightmare Detective and some of the movies he stars in.

5. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I am a HUGE fan of this guys stuff. Tetsuo and Tetsuo II: The Body Hammer were pivotal films for me. Though, I have to say that A Snake of June is probably the one that I would say is his best.

The biggest problem with getting into his work as a director is that he very honestly does do a lot of work for hire. So films like Gemini and Hiroku, while very enjoyable, do end up lacking that personal stamp of weirdness that really makes his best stuff shine. To really see him at his best, try to look for the films where he is credited as the only writer.

As far as the films he's acted in only, Marebito is probably my favorite there.

And, just a reminder, he only acted in Ichi. That one was directed Takashi Miike.