Your favorite slasher series?

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Dave, Oct 15, 2000.

1. Dave

Dave Pimp

My personal favorite: Halloween

I love it and all the sequels, except for Part 3. While Part 3 is a decent movie in its own right, I want Michael damnit! He's the main reason I love Halloween so much. I think the mask it absolutely perfect (and yes, I realize the sequels never got the mask right).

What really pisses me off is that they took Jamie out of H20. Now they're creating a new Halloween movie and rumor is that it wasn't really Michael in H20, which is how they're even creating a sequel. ARGH!!!

But hey, I'll still be there opening night...

[​IMG]

------------------
    David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
    Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com

2. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

I have to agree with you Dave, Halloween is my favorite slasher series, however, I really enjoyed Halloween 3. I consider 3 more of a stand alone film rather than include it as a sequel.

3. HELLION

HELLION Guest

I prefer FRIDAY THE 13TH and TEXAS CHAINSAW. Jason and Leatherface are much more frightening figures. [​IMG]

------------------
    Positively the MOST horrifying signature ever made!

4. Django

Django Guest

Freddy is king but I can't really call him a slasher and feel good about it. He has a different approach that a convention slasher icon. Same goes for Pinhead and the gang.

Jason is my favorite character but the Friday the 13ths are not my favorite slasher films. Leatherface is cool but I like part 2 the best and that's thanks to Dennis Hopper.

So as a pure slasher movie series goes, mine would also be The Shape/Michael Myers as I liked more of the Halloween movies than any of the others.

I even like Halloween 6...

5. AceRimRat

AceRimRat Guest

I like Halloween, as well as parts 2 and 4, though I'm not a big fan of 5 (the 1-2-4-5 core of the series).

I like Elm Street as well as parts 3 and 4 and to a lesser degree, 5 (the 1-3-4-5 core of the series).

But as far as pure favoritism goes, I gotta go with the Friday the 13th movies. They're stupid, they're gratuitous and they make absolutely no sense, but they're fun and reliable. You know what you're going to get, and it still makes you jump.

Just my 2 cents. [​IMG]

6. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

I'm a big Friday the 13th nut!!! My favorite Fridays are: #4, 6, 1, 7, 3, 2, 9, 8, and 5.

Blood, tits, and ass = entertainment!!!

------------------
    "Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

7. DopeChamberX

DopeChamberX Guest

Definately Halloween, I can't wait for #8! At http://www.cinescape.com/movies/

they give a plot synopsis, which hopefully is true. If it is maybe this series will finally end on a good note. Michael Myers Rules!! [​IMG]

------------------
    "It's not who you come with, it's who you take home." - Prom Night 4

"...find something you love doing and do it for the rest of your life..." - Rushmore

[This message has been edited by DopeChamberX (edited 10-16-2000).]

8. evileye

evileye Member

FRIDAY THE 13TH for me, but I have my cut-off point.

The series had a seriously spooky atmosphere and great soundtrack. Betsy Plamer was suitable bonkers and Jason was a rare breed of masked killer: scary and threatening.... he actually hauled ass and attacked while so many of the others shamble zombie-like around.

Sadly, by part 6, the formula was wearing thin and they decided to pull a Freddy by making him a jokey zombie (although part 6 was well made at least).

Starting at 7, I lost interest pretty quick.

I say they get their heads out of their asses and take a page from HALLOWEEN H20, making a SCREAM-like slasher flick picking up where part 4 left off.

Hell, I say let Steve Miner helm it. It would make a great companion piece with H20! At least it would sell to a broader audience than the surely doomed JASON X will.

9. Vdlman

Vdlman Guest

For me it's definitely Friday the 13th. It has always been a series of films that I never get tired of watching.

Here are my favorites in order:

1.) 1
    2.) 2
    3.) 5
    4.) 6
    5.) 4
    6.) 3
    7.) 9
    8.) 7
    9.) 8

10. suttercane

suttercane Guest

If Halloween's 5 or 6 had been like part 1 or 2 Halloween would be my favorite series. But theyre not. Parts 5 and 6 are turds. So when I look at the overall picture I see F13 has the clear winner. I cant place them in order because theyre not all out on DVD yet. After seeing them all in widescreen and crystal(lake) picture I can do that.

11. creaturekid

creaturekid Guest

I think the Halloween movies have stood the test of time better than any of the other series. I can still watch most of them today and enjoy them, even though as the series goes on it decreases in quality. Part 2 is just one of the best sequels ever made, and I actually really liked 3 as a movie on its own (as I understand it, Carpenter wanted to end the Michael Myers story with part 2 and make the series continue in stand-alone installments, like part 3, but I guess Moustapha Akkad had other ideas). 4 and 5 are okay, 6 was decent (I finally saw the Producer's Cut, which gave me a little more respect for the film--I actually probably like it more than part 5 now), and H20 was....well, at least it was another Halloween movie on the big screen (but damn, Michael sucked in that movie. I'm glad they're making another one, so at least MAYBE this time they'll do him right). The first ten minutes of H20 where just awesome, but after that it went no where. I dug the music and the part with Jamie Lee Curtis stalking Michael, but overall it just blew.

12. TTCFAN

TTCFAN Guest

I really liked Halloween 6, why is everyone so against this movie. First of all, it had great atmosphere..watch this movie again and just focus on that. Also, Micheal Myers was more violent in this one, which, in my opinion, made him scarier. I don't know, I like this one, It's not the best, but It's pretty damn entertaining.

13. rhett

rhett Administrator

Out of the 'big three' in the Slasher genre (Michael, Jason, Freddy), I hold somewhat of a mixed stance. As far as a single movie, Halloween is leaps and bounds better than any other of the slashers mentioned, but as far as series go, I am leaning towards F13. Parts 4,3,2,6 and 5 are definite favorites of mine. I personally feel that the original F13 wasn't all that good. Having Betsy Palmer as the killer just ruined all the suspense for me and it is just too tough for me to swallow. Jason, to me, seems a much better and scarier killer than his mom. Don't get me wrong, I still like Part 1 but I like the 'campy' feel the sequels gave. They didn't take themselves as serious as the first did, and as a result I think they were better.

------------------
    "i spent eight years trying to reach him, and then another seven trying to keep him locked up for i realized what was living behind that boy's eyes was purely and simply...evil." - Dr. Loomis, Halloween

14. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

IMHO, Halloween is the best series as I felt that the general standards of each film were better than its rivals. The Friday the 13th series seemed too inconsistent. Part 2 was my favourite - it really frightened me on my first viewing (i.e. when it was originally released on rental on VHS) but I found that by Part 5, the series had lost its way. Having said that, I'm looking forward to "re-discovering" the pleasures of the Jason movies, perhaps with the eventual release of a box set (an uncut box set would be unbelievable). I wish the new Jason film great success as there's a sense of nostalgia seeing a new Jason flick, if you know what I mean.

15. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

This is interesting because each of the big 3 (Halloween, NOES, F13) have their own strong and weak points. Halloween is the best slasher movie ever and the series had a strong sense of continuity (until H20). But the first is the only great movie in the series with half being ok and half being terrible. NOES had 3 great movies (1, 3, 7) and then a couple of ok ones and a couple of terrible ones, but does maintain a continuity. F13 had the worst first movie of the series (though it still was good) but ended up with the best series because there were more great and good entries in this series than in the other two. What's interesting about this is the F13 series is the one where the only recurring character (save Tommy Jarvis) is the killer and there isn't a through story like in NOES and Halloween.

16. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I gotta go with Friday The 13th because my man Jason is amazing. That's all.

17. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Jason and Friday the 13th all the way. He wipes the FLOOR with all those other sissy boy killers without even breaking a sweat. Even in space he was better than anyone else.

You get in, you kill, you get out. Don't get emotionally attached or excessively verbose or hang out with bad influences like those pesky druids. Seriously, Jason is a role model for the ages.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2007
  18. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I cant decide!!!!!! they all are great- probably depend what mood im in and I could choose any one of the 3

19. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

Yep, Friday The 13th easily. I'd much rather watch the crappier F13th sequels than the crappier Halloween or crappier NOES sequels.

20. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Does anyone think another true slasher the likes of these will ever explode into a long series? been a long time and a fourth has never come about