Your Favorite Stand-Up Comedian

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by SaviniFan, Jan 9, 2007.

?

Top Stand-Up Comedian

1. Richard Pryor

10.3%
  2. George Carlin

19.0%
  3. Red Foxx

1.7%
  4. Eddie Murphy

5.2%
  5. Bill Cosby

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Andrew Dice-Clay

8.6%
  7. Bill Hicks

1.7%
  8. Chris Rock

5.2%
  9. Dave Chappelle

3.4%
  10. Howie Mandell

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Robin Williams

1.7%
  12. Sam Kinison

6.9%
  13. Jim Gaffigan

1.7%
  14. Gallagher

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Louie Anderson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Rodney Dangerfield

1.7%
  17. Jeff Foxworthy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Andy Kaufman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Denis Leary

1.7%
  20. Other

31.0%
  1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The irony here is that someone is taking this thread waaaaaaayyyyy too seriously. :)

2. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

No, it's not a serious thread. I've already said I did it for fun. If someone wants to question the choices I put up then whatever. What I don't appreciate is someone nonchalantly making references to a thread that contains political differences and aiming them towards me. It's unnecessary and out of place in this thread.

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--So you brought it up because?--

While I can appreciate you might think this is "baiting", or some effort to spark a "political" debate - let me set your mind at rest - it was an attempt at neither.

Rather, it was a mention - in a thread on comedians no less - that I found great, and very real, humor within this thread. It did indeed make me laugh-out-loud. Really, honestly. So I mentioned it, because others might find it funny too. I'm sure if you think about it, you'll see the funny side.

Honestly, not an insult, more observational humor. I can assure you I have no intention other than that. Honestly.

;)

4. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    Damon Wayans or Jamie Foxx would be my favorites.

My favorite from this list is George Carlin.

I also like Paul Mooney.

5. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Actually, I myself don't really know what you're getting at there - with the "bunch of other Americans" comment. It seems very, very logical to me that an American would only select American and/or English-speaking comedians in a poll like this. A comedian's humor is obviously very language-based so if you can't understand them, then of course they are not funny to you. So when you say "without a need to see anywhere else", I can't help but think you're being unfair. If he doesn't understand a language, then of course he has no need to name a comedian he can't understand in his own poll.

Also, very few comedians reach worldwide stardom so people who live outside Europe (or, indeed, people outside the UK or whatever the country is) aren't very likely to have ever heard of someone like Eddie Izzard or other top-notch comedians.

So where you see humor, dwatts, I only see pure logic. That said, I do see a (total) lack of women on that list, but a few have already been mentioned so I don't have a problem with any of this at all.

6. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I've never really been a fan of stand-up. I much prefer sketch comedy.

7. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I enjoy good stand-up, but I also prefer sketch comedy. SNL for instance has it's highs and lows, but when it hits it's classic.

8. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well, this'll be my last post on the topic, since I simply mentioned something I found funny - if you didn't, well so what? Savinifan seems to have thought I was somehow attacking him, I wanted to make clear I wasn't, and that I never intended to.

Anyway, by way of a last comment - when you say you see "only pure logic", I can only laugh again. You started by writing " I myself don't really know what you're getting at there", so on an admission that you didn't understand, you then go and spin some "pure logic". How about, you simply don't understand, and therefore - well - don't understand? :D

As for the language comment, well that made me laugh again. There are countries abroad that speak English you know. :lol:

Seriously, I'll let people take whatever spin they want. I have clearly stated my intent - which was to note what I found to be a very funny observation. If you don't get it, or don't find it funny, well that simply reinforces the essence of this thread - we all find different things amusing.

No more from me on this, these things tend to get out of hand unecessarily. ;)

ps: Eddie Izzard has been in some great Hollywood films, so you might want to check him out. He's fricking brilliant in Mystery Men for starters.

9. dwatts

dwatts New Member

ON TOPIC: I love good stand up. It's the bare bones comedian, having to weave their tales and make us laugh without help of props and other actors. On the other hand, bad stand up is really really bad - you gotta squirm in your seat as someone cracks joke after joke and no-one laughs.....

But yeah, stand-up is terrific.

Back in the 70's Billy Connolly was a brilliant stand up, but now he's just mildly amusing with occasional really really bad.

Of the Americans in the poll, they've pretty much all made me laugh at some point or another (people like Foxworthy was funny for 60 seconds, but talk about one-trick pony - he wasn't funny after that.)

I have a CD of Woody Allen doing stand up, and man he was funny.

10. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Umm ... well, I thought I was pretty clear, but obviously not. I'm going to humor myself by replying, since you've abandoned this thread.

As I thought was clear by what I wrote, of course I realize there are countries abroad that speak English. Of the big ones, I can think of comedians from the US and the UK. So I guess I'm guilty of the same sort of ignorance SaviniFan was. Maybe you can name some poll-worthy comedians from Australia or South-Africa or Malta or some other English-speaking region of the Earth?

Can anyone on this Forum? Well, of course those who LIVE there can, but this all goes back to what I said about comedians USUALLY not being world-famous stars. Their humor is language based AND it is also very often regionally based. A lot of comedians just don't work well outside their home countries.

And as for the logic and what I didn't understand: I didn't understand what you said, I thought what SaviniFan's poll was very logical. Therein lies the difference.

I don't really think you read what I wrote well enough. Maybe you didn't understand what I was trying to say, or maybe something got lost in my own translation from my native language to English. But you're not commenting on this again, so I guess we'll never know .. ;)

And yes I know Eddie Izzard. Not from Hollywood movies, though.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  11. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

Paddy McGuiness

12. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

David Cross

Second is Mitch Hedburg

13. Luna

Luna Guest

Oh, my god. How did I forget Dylan Moran and Ardal O'Hanlon?

14. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Sad none likes Lenny Bruce...

15. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

And of course, there's a lot of old school guys. Redd Foxx is on the list, people have mentioned the omission of Lenny Bruce. But what about guys like Henny Youngman or Don Rickles? And one of my favorites from that era is still hilarious, Pat Cooper. He's in the Aristocrats movie, and had one of my favorite lines

"She gives birth to a Shetland Pony, with my grandfather as the jockey...he came in third, paid $2.80"

16. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Atkinson.

17. My fav is probably John Leguizamo. He's made several specials which include, Spic-O-Rama, Sex-A-Holic and Mambo Mouth...its more of a latin-ripping thing...but homeboy is HILARIOUS on the stage!

Also George Lopez's Why You Crying is good too! Anything that make me cry laughing is tops in my book.

Lesser known comic I've seen more than once live is Bobby Collins. He used to do Mentos commercials and hosted Stand-Up Spotlight on VH1 right after Rosie O'Donnell left the show. This would've been in the late 80s! Friggin' Hilarious.

I also noticed Martin Lawrence wasn't on the list. Anyone ever seen You So Crazy? Friggin' funny shit! Much better than the follow-up Runandtelldat or whatever it was called!

18. Sam

Sam Member

Carlin's who really hooked me on the stand-up scene and has remained my favorite. He's had a great track record over his career and I find myself revisiting his shows a lot without growing too tired of them, particularly given his nature of bringing current social and world events of the time into his act. He generally has a great cohesion for each performance that keeps me entertained from start to finish like the other greats.

Cosby's great at making PG-rated themes funny and I love hearing about Eddie Murphy's family. Never really cared for Kinison; Hedberg's of course excellent. Dangerfield's a riot with memorable one liners. Foxworthy's recycles way too many jokes, but his high points (focusing on his family and rednecks vs. sophisticated people) can be hilarious. Hearing Chappelle talk about his struggling life growing up in DC is great and his mellowness adds a lot of flavor to his act. Hicks is excellent and Leary at one point did a pretty good job in his shoes. Gallagher has some decent material with the prop jokes, which Carrot Top's made a living ripping off. Chris Rock's got a lot of memorable race jokes. Never cared for Howie Mandel or Louie Anderson. Never really clicked with Kaufman. The Dice Man's funny in small servings but a whole show gets tedious. Saw Rowan Atkinson mentioned as well and I love his dry, physical humor. Rambling on, but I do like a lot of these folks.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  19. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

20. Tien21

Tien21 Guest

Way to not include any females. I prefer sketch comedy was well and I am huge fan of SNL. I watch every week, and even on its low nights there is usually something there to make me laugh. Maya Rudolph is my favorite sketch comedian, but sadly she is very underused anymore on SNL and it is likely her last season.