Your Favorite Theatrical Experience

Discussion in 'General' started by SaviniFan, Oct 4, 2005.

1. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Just remembered another fun one, Heavy Metal midnight show at the mall. Had to be like 97 or 98, as I had just started my "rebel" phase and snuck some MD 20/20 in. Then I ran into a guy I always saw hanging downtown, and we blazed a joint in the theater entranceway as it was starting. Dude turned into a good friend, but I lost contact with him when he went to prison a few years later. :(
    Best part was an usher came in right when we were done and back in our seats (back row of course). He smelled it and knew we did it, but couldn't prove it. Soon as he left, out pops the Dog! Rest if movie was blast, almost like a Rocky Horror showing with the crowd cheering and howling, just no rice and shit. :D

2. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

Back in Bismarck, I had a friend who was a manager at the theatre and we'd get to go in after hours and preview the upcoming films. They ussually weren't the greatest films, but we'd get so fucking drunk and stoned in the theatre which definitely adds to the experience. I remember Mothman Prophecies being probably the best I saw from those times.

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within - tripping on shrooms

The Fly/Total Recall (Midnight Double Feature) - audience was great

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective - Opening Night - my friend and I were the only two in the theatre, the next week we went again and there was about 15 people, the next week it was completely packed

3. Atmims

Atmims Guest

It's a Carmike Cinema theater, that's all we have around here.

4. 4Gotten1

4Gotten1 Guest

I was just a scrawny kid, and about five of us snuck into Last Tango in Paris, with Marlon Brando. With all of the controversy surrounding the film, we were quite excited to be able to see what all the hoopla was about. Although I was less titillated than I'd expected to be, it was still a blast to have gotten away with it, as all of the ushers knew us and we were constantly getting booted out of the theatres for buying a ticket for one film, but sneaking in and watching another. We did this with Carrie too, but got booted after about 30 minutes. Needless to say, we were devastated.

5. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

My most memorable one was being locked in a Theater with a couple of friends and other people after a late night showing of Fright Night II. We were trapped for at least 45 minutes. First we yelled, then we banged against the doors and after a while a few of us couldn't help but laugh, because it seemed so ridiculous. We were about to give up... that's when the ticket lady came running and unlocked the doors apologizing like crazy. Fun times :D

6. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I once got booted from the theater during DON'T GO IN THE HOUSE for being underage (12) and having bought a ticket to FOX AND THE HOUND instead. They were checking tickets during the "beach" sequence (the best part). The usher was all pissy with me and scolded me for being too young for an "R" rated movie. Get this: this SAME GIRL sold me a ticket the following Saturday for AMERICAN WEREWOLF/ESCAPE FROM N.Y. without batting an eyelash. Years later, I'd be close friends with her twin sister. Small, small world.

7. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

When I saw INVASION USA at a young age. My friends and I coudn't get in at first, then I was brave enough to ask some nice couple about 5 minutes before start time, If they would say we were with them. they did, and we got in. Pretty good considering the teller just 20 min. before denied us access. saying we were not of age.

And as far as a good crowd, The best crowd EVER I encountered was at RUMBLE IN THE BRONX. My friends and I saw it at a PACKED house in one of those giant Lowes screen rooms. 1000 and over seat types. I kept saying before the movie started "since when is everybody a Jackie Chan" fan like us. This crowd was cheering, "I shit you not" after EVERY fight scene. There was loads of ooohs and aaahs after each stunt. Even the bloopers at the end, people got a kick out of.

8. slinker

slinker Un-Holy Force.

Definately watching Mulholland Drive, went into the theatre in the day time when i was off work...no bugger would come with me so i headed alone. Felt really really ill during the adverts beforehand and so thought i was gonna run to the bathroom and honk ( been feeling ill all morning before ) but then the film started and from the opening music and credits i was just totally mesmorized...literally with my mouth open and drool landing on my lap hardly breathing, taking it all in....by the time it had finished i was in this weird Lynchian trance and didnt even realise, snapped out of it and then realised i didnt feel sick at all. Who needs medicine when you have cinema at its greatest ? and yes Mulholland Drive has been my favorite film since :) never before has a movie affected me quite like that. :cool:

9. Didn't we do a thread like this once before? i swore there was one just like this? Damn it all to heck, i ain't gonna search for it.

My best experience when i was a kid would have to be the Fly II. i went to a pretty ghetto theatre & people were just really yelling at the screen 7 jumping from their seats during some 'scare" scenes. Made the experience a little more enjoyable oddly enough.

Most recently (and don't make fun) it would've had to have been The Polar Express in IMAX...man, talk about sucking you into the movie. The 3D effects, combined with the deafening sound and added for spice the Gigantic 5-story screen plus the genuine feel for the holidays...I had to see it TWICE (once with the wife, and again to take my son, he deserved the experience). i think its being re-released in IMAX THIS holiday season...might get a 3rd viewing in IMAX (the DVD will NOT do it justice). THIS is what a movie experience should be like!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2005
  10. kyouki

kyouki Guest

I have really only two memorable movie experiences:

When I was a young kid I went to see Batman with my brother and mother... I was in awe the whole time. From Danny Elfman's score and the memorable opening (that seemingly every superhero movie has copied since) to the fact that Batman was being played by Beetlejuice for god's sake to the creepy ending this was pure movie magic for me. At the end of the movie everyone in the theater stood up and cheered! Standing ovation for Batman!

Before that my mom had sent me off to see Return to Oz when it first came out thinking it would be just as innocent as the Wizard of Oz. Of course, anyone who has seen Return to Oz knows the rest of the story. ;) It wasn't an audience participation thing, but it was one of my best experiences because I was so shocked at how the movie wasn't at all what it had been advertised as.

I haven't had a pleasant movie-going experience since Batman (in 1989?)!!! That's ridiculous. :(

Nowadays when a friend does convince me to see a movie it's always ruined by the usual suspects (people having conversations, making "jokes" at the screen, judging the "gayness" of every character in the movie loudly to all in the theater, etc etc).

11. gojira69

gojira69 Guest

Ben - 1972 - San Rafael, CA

I have so many memorable Drive-in theater experiences, but my most memorable theatrical experience was in a walk-in.

It was in 1972. The Rafael Theater on 4th Street in San Rafael, California was showing "BEN". I took my younger brother to see it.

Well, I was 16 and a smart-ass and the movie was embarassing. So when it came to the scene where the little kid lip-synchs to Michael Jackson's song "BEN" and when he was done I start clapping furiously. That was all it took to tip this theater packed full of kids over the edge. Everyone laughed, clapped and shouted at the movie screen. It became mayhem in that theater for the rest of the film... candy, boxes, popcorn all being thrown at the screen and better yet at each other. Especially fun was going up on the balcony so as to get a better shot at people from above.

We'd hi-jacked the theater and no one tried to rope us in. It was 1972, a rat named Ben was on the screen and the theater was ours!

BobB

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2005
  12. gojira69

gojira69 Guest

13 Ghosts - 1960 - San Francisco

13 Ghosts is coming to town! I begged my mother to let me go. She told me she didn't want me to go because it would give me nightmares! I promised her I wouldn't. When the film finally came to the theater she had an older brother take me.

I was 4 and it was 1960 at the 4-Star Theater on 23rd and Clement in San Francisco (which is still in operation by the way). We walked the 4 blocks from our house to the theater.

Everytime there was a scary scene my brother told me to cover my eyes which I did. I "watched" the entire film in this manner and covered my eyes for any and all scenes where a ghost came on screen! I was petrified! Have you seen this movie recently? Its a hoot! How anyone could find any of it scary! But I guess if you cover your eyes your imagination can create terrors greater than those on the big screen...

And yes, I had nightmares.

BobB

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2005
  13. Two of my best:

The Blair Witch Project - It was around the time Heather was looking into the camera crying and saying "I'm so sorry....." or not long before it. These teenage girls in the audience were laughing and giggling. This guy in the audience said "Shut the fuck up, goddamit! We're trying to watch a fucking movie!" and they shut right up.

The Ring(Remake) - Right at the part, near the end where Samara crawls out of the tv towards that reporter friend of Rachel's friend. I swear, every woman or pretty much every woman, screamed at the top of their lungs. One guy grabbed his girl's arm during that, and she hit him.

14. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

The only real memorable experience I've had was watching Friday the 13th part 3 in 3-D at the NuArt in santa Monica. The crowd was really into it and it made the entire movie really fun to watch. Other than that watching Star Wars Episode 3 at a midnight show opening night was a lot of fun. Thats the kind of crowd you want when you're watching one of those films. Awesome.

15. Sam

Sam Member

All these good stories and I really don't have anything exciting to contribute. The only thing that really stands out is getting to see the Star Wars trilogy on the big screen in 97 or so, even though they weren't the "true" original versions. Still was quite moved to see them all opening night and in a theater. Other than that, probably seeing Office Space which at the time had no real press so a friend and I thought it'd just be a run of the mill no-brainer weekend flick, came out nearly pissing ourselves in laughter.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2005
  16. Tye

Tye New Member

Having the opportunity to see Suspiria in the theater a couple years back.
    No....not the greatest of stories but since it's my favorite horror film it made for a very memorable experience.

17. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

When I saw Friday the 13th Part 2, when it was originally Theatrically released, Me, my mom, and dorky Brother saw it. About 7 minutes in the movie, the music starts up, so you think something is going to happen. Alice goes to the window with a knife, and her Cat jumps inside through the window. I screamed, my mom screamed, and so did several other women in the audience screamed. I still remember it every time I watch Part 2

18. evildeadfan123

Another memorable experience, was when Me, My mom, and Brother went and saw The Brood, when it was originally released. We went to sit down, and some woman brought her baby in, probably no more than a year old, to see The Brood. The baby was crying through half the movie.

19. Wayne Manor

Wayne Manor New Member

What sequence was this in "Don't Go in the House"?

20. evildeadfan123

Another memorable experience is when American Werewolf In London came out. Our only theater at the time, Summit 4 Theaters had just opened. Me, my mom, and my brother went to see it. Including us, there was about 8 people in the whole theater. We waited about 25 minutes, and they still hadn't started the movie. One of the other people in the theater, got up and told the manager, and the movie started. They demolished the theater about 4 or 5 years ago. Couldn't compete with the Multiplex, and now we have a 16 Theater Multiplex. I pretty much watched movies from 1978-1986, at movie theaters. We would go every weekend and see at least one movie. We went to Brywood 6 Theaters, which is no longer around, 63rd Street Drive-In, which is no longer in operation, Blue Ridge Cinema, which is no longer around. I weekend, about 1980, we saw Star Wars and Alien on the same day and in between both movies, my mom left the lights on our 1978 Chevy Chevette, and at the time I was on crutches, and we went to Sambo's and ate lunch. I sure miss those days. I Mom raised me right. She saw the Original Psycho, when she was 15, and she told me she couldn't take a shower for weeks after the movie.