Your Favorite Theatrical Experience

Discussion in 'General' started by SaviniFan, Oct 4, 2005.

1. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

For me it was a drive-in double feature of the Thing and Halloween 2. My buddy and I got in with his aunt and were about 10 at the time. The Thing kicked ass, but didn't scare us. For Halloween 2 we tried to keep going to watch the movie outside of the car, but were getting scared shitless so we kept retreating to the sanctuary of the car! I sure miss those drive-in days. A close second would be a showing of fast Times at Ridgemont High with my grandfather when I was also 10 or 11 while my parents were away on vacation. He claimed to hate it, but was chortling throughout and I don't think he minded the nude scenes either. My parents caught it in the burgeoning days of home video a year or two later and couldn't believe that I had seen it-they were a little pissed. At the risk of sounding sappy, my grandfather was the best guy I have ever known-he took me to a LOT of movies as a kid, including many pieces of shit that he didn't have to sit through, like Parasite (in 3-D!), Mortuary, and countless others. he even tired to get me into Evil dead, but the cocksuckers wouldn't let me in even with him! We also saw a lot of Bronson and Eastwood movies, which were more enjoyable for him and I loved as well. RIP, gramp-and thanks.

2. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Cool story! I remember The Thing at the cinema. I saw it on a double bill with Humongous (which nobody cared for at the time). The Thing had the audience going wild and two girls ran up the aisle and out the door from the theater during the scene where a character suffers a heart attack and they're trying to revive him. Classic stuff! Those girls never came back!

3. pacinofan

pacinofan Member

I can remember my Dad taking me to a lot of 80's classics when I was too youing to go myself. Stuff like Terminatoir, Cronenberg's "The Fly" and Evil Dead II, Texas Chainsaw Massacre II, NOES: Dream Warriors. When ever my friends and I wanted to see an "R" rated horror flick, we knew my Dad would take us. I also remember going to the drive-in w/ Dad to see Friday the 13th V: New Beginning.

4. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

My favourite movie theatre experience? Superman back in 1978. My little brother and I and two of our friends went to see it. Great movie, fun for all. Well we get to the scene when Supe finally finds Lois Lane after the big earthquake but its too late. Heavy scene, Supe's holding Lois' lifeless body in his arms, his eyes welling with tears, his lips quivering. Well, just before he screams his big "NOOOOOOOO!" someone in the audience lets loose with a tremendous baked bean fart. I mean, it was loud! The whole theatre erupted in laughter and when you're a kid, there's nothing funnier than that. We still talk about it to this day and my kids love hearing that story. In fact, whenever we watch it, I can't resist doing the same thing at that moment. Even my kids join in. Ahhh, farts. Is there anything they can't do?

5. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh that's great! I read this this morning and nearly spit out my cereal from laughing so hard. What timing that person had! :banana:

6. Peoples Icon

Peoples Icon Guest

Return of the Jedi When it was rereleased!

Myself and two friends went and saw The Return Of the Jedi Special Edition and it was just us and one other guy. Towards the end of the film when Luke was with the Emperor and Vader we just got up and started acting out the scene word for word. It was awesome. I am sure the guy was pissed off but we didnt care. A small experience I had was when I saw Mission Impossible 1. I was the only one in the theater and felt like they showed the movie just for me. That was great. My third and final experience was just recently at Star Wars Revenge of The Sith. My mother, sister and three friends of mine waited in line to see this. Their were a bunch of people waiting as well and I had to watch a few Star Wars geeks act out some lightsaber duels. Anyway when it was time to go into the theater the place had such poor crowd control that my mother was punched in the back of the head a few times which hurt her to the point where she had to go to the hospital the next day. We did wind up calling the cops when we were at the theater but could not find the kid that did it to her. I looked for the little bastard myself but he must have fled because he was no where to be found. The cops said they were investigating the incident but nothing ever happened. I was not very impressed with the way the theater had handled the whole ordeal. The manager acted like she did not even care. Lets just say that ruined the night for everyone and pretty much tarnished Revenge of The Sith for me because I will remember that incident everytime I watch that damn movie.

7. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Venice FIlm Festival: The film: The Others.
    A cinema of 1500 people, knowing why they are here, with full silence at the right moments, screams of horror and laughing, just to "exorcise" the damn thing.
    If every screening was like this.

8. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Damage that was a great story. :lol:

9. 4Gotten1

4Gotten1 Guest

Someone should start a thread on fart stories. We all have them, and they're almost always quite funny!

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Mystery Science Theater 3000 was probably my best experience, I'd never heard an audience consistently laugh as much as they did. It was also an amazingly respectful crowd, I can't recall any specific shouts at the screen although I recall it happened a couple of times. It's also the ONLY time I've seen an entire audience stay for the full length of the credits.

Evil Dead II is probably my next favorite, the audience really got into that one and many lines were quoted by the crowd as this was a re-release. I don't think I've ever heard the word "work shed" said by so many people at the same time before or since. :D

11. Frankenstorm

Frankenstorm Guest

This is a brilliant thread if you haven't checked it out. I'm hoping others are as interested in reviving it as I am cuz I can't get enough of these stories.

I've got a couple of theater-going experiences I'd like to share if the thread picks up again but the first one that always comes to mind is Re-Animator. Saw it upon its release in a packed house. The scene where the Dr.'s head is about to "go down" on Barbara Crampton, when his tongue came out, there was a crescendo of screams from every girl in the theater which then caused every guy to laugh hysterically. One of my all-time favorite movie moments, horror or otherwise!

12. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

I would have to rate CREEPSHOW as my favorite theatrical experience.
    In 1982 there was an ad in the paper that said if you show up in a costume you get in for free. So I am this 12 year old kid and me and a friend get dressed up in costumes and get dropped off at the theater by my mom. Of course there are older teenagers and adults and NOBODY else is wearing a costume, so everyone is laughing at us. The movie was Rated R, so we couldn't get in without my mom walking us to the ticket counter to buy the tickets, thankfully she left. As we walked into the lobby there was a photographer from the newspaper and he took our picture. When the film began and I heard the music and saw the color and comic book feel, I was absolutely blown away. I still credit Creepshow as the first movie where I was aware of the soundtrack, and to this day remains my all time favorite. That Creepshow experience changed my life, and made me the horror fanatic that i am today.

13. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

There used to be a theater in Norfolk,Va. called the Circle 6,it was one of the first multiplexes in the country and was a flagship AMC theater for years.As time passed the neighborhood it was in became run down,a high crime area and the theater turned into a bit of a grindhouse.All six screens would be running horror ficks,cheap actioners and semi-smutty comedies,in other words it was an ideal place to go if you were an exploitation fan.My friends and I haunted this place pretty regularly and they showed some wild ones,DEMONS,DEAD ALIVE,Euro shoot 'em ups like CODENAME :WILD GEESE,the full spectrum of down market films.The day before A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 4 opened they ran a marathon of all of the ELM STREET's ,four movies for the cost of one,topped off with a midnight screening of the new part 4.Well we were THERE,we slipped in with our jackets stuffed with WENDY'S burgers and had a blast.That was definitely a ''talk to the screen" audience,but it was good natured.Some punks tried to hastle us in the parking lot later but in the end no punches were thrown.Great night.

14. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

GFW in the 'Wood

Easily my best theatrical experience was the premiere of Godzilla: Final Wars at Grauman's Chinese Theater in Hollywood. We even got to hang out on the red carpet to meet the cast, crew, and the big G himself!

gfw_1.jpg gfw_2.jpg

Some other memorable ones:

Pet Sematary 2 was the first movie I saw that got a standing ovation at the end.

I took my Freddy glove with me to see Freddy's Dead. At an opportune moment, I used it scare some girls sitting in front of me. The whole theater loved it.

During Jason Goes to Hell, the top of the frame was cut off for the scene in the diner parking lot. The crowd started chanting "We want head!"

Seeing a horror flick at the local dollar show can be fun if there are a lot of black people in the audience. (They often talk to the screen, and the ladies don't hold back the screams.) Bones went over well.

Last summer, I saw Creature from the Black Lagoon in 3-D. Sitting right behind me were two little girls, who talked through the whole thing. I didn't mind, because they were really into it. Some examples:

When the female lead lights up: "Ohh, she's smoking!" :eek:

When a guy grabs a rifle: "He has a gun." "I want a gun!" :fire:

When the Gillman carries off the heroine: "He wants to kiss her." "He wants to love on her." :eek:

15. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

One of my favorites was the recent Friday the 13th remake. Opening night, packed with mostly older fans of the franchise (with their kids), plus some teenybopper kids and high-school students who snuck in.

Some of the funniest sections was when America Olivo pops her top in the pre-credit sequence I can clearly remember a chick in the back saying "Oh. My. God." at that bit (and there were some scattered snickers when Willa Ford gets it and her tits are shown). And another was when Jason started killing in earnest (right around when Jason throws the ax and gets Arlen Scarpetta in the back) -- the older fans started cheering/hooting every time Jason killed somebody and/or was in pursuit. Speaking of which, after Jason kills Julianna Guill's character, one older woman cracked "Now she's horny."

And then at the very end where Jason pops out of the lake and onto the pier, the crowd erupted in cheers, laughter and applause. Ah, memories.

16. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

Great stories!

Mine would have to be the time my Dad took my older sister and I to see Robocop. That flick was released in 1987, which means I would've been seven years old (!) when it came out, with her being close to nine. I absolutely loved it, but the clearest memory I have is when dude got hit with the toxic waste and started to melt, my sister started to feel a bit queasy while my Dad and I just laughed and laughed. When he got hit by the car and splattered, we lost it! God, we talked about that scene for weeks afterwards and how much it disgusted my sister. Such a fun movie.

To top it off, we even stopped off at KFC on the way home.

The fact that my Dad had no problem with me watching violent flicks at such a young age was really cool, it was just treated as over-the-top fun (especially in a Paul Verhoeven flick) and it ended up being one of my favorite childhood memories.

17. Frankenstorm

Frankenstorm Guest

For my 12th birthday my brother took me to our neighborhood theater to see a double feature of SQUIRM and THE DEVIL WITHIN HER (AKA I DON'T WANT TO BE BORN). I made it through SQUIRM but by the time THE DEVIL WITHIN HER started I had had enough. I remember the opening scene of the doctor looking quizzically over Joan Collins as she's trying to give birth and him saying "it's as if it doesn't want to be born". At that point I begged him to get me the hell out of there, which he did.

18. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

TCM (original)
    It is a festival in an old theater, five screenings a day, with tons of horror films from the 70s. A lot of the films are bad and the audience hasn't got a clue about what they are about to see. So TCM starts, they are silent, they start laughing with the lead characters, tearing the movie to shreds....and then Leatherface appears. And they all shut up and stay silent until the end. The movie ITSELF had its revenge.

19. Frankenstorm

Frankenstorm Guest

That is sweet.

Reminded me of seeing THE EXORCIST director's cut or whatever they called it. In the original, only two times do you see the face of the demon: once during Father Karras' nightmare and at the end when Regan sits up in bed. That face always effed me up.

Anyway, in the new cut Friedkin threw in that face a couple more times, like when Ellen Burstyn walks in the house and the lights flicker, you see the face in the stove exhaust hood. Well the crowd had been pretty boisterous but when that face appeared, I heard a girl behind me literally gasp and say to her companion "did you see that face?" Her voice was quivering and she sounded like she was going to cry. It was cool to know that half-second glimpse of a demonic face screwed up someone else like it had me.

20. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

when i saw Disturbia with a friend on opening night. it was a theater filled with 17-18 year olds. so much audience participation...i loved it. when the movie got scary my friend hid under the seats, and the girls behind us were screaming. "Oh SHIT!! OH SHIT DONT GO IN THERE!!" they did that the whole movie. there were these two guys infront of us that kept yelling at the girls to shut up. people were throwing stuff at the screen, talking to it. there was so much screaming and laughing. i loved every minute of it.

My dad took me to see Friday the 13th (remake) that was fun too. buy the time the lines "your tits are stupendous" and "you got perfect nipple placement" came around, the whole audience were laughing their asses of, including my dad and myself, and when Trent screamed like a girl my dad said "What a pussy" under his breath.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009