Your first experience with Cheese (in movies)

Discussion in 'General' started by Hellbilly, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

It took me a while to enjoy cheesy movies. It's not like I've never been exposed to cheese in cinema before but when I rented a movie on tape and it turned out to be bad - I was always disappointed and called it a piece of shit. My change of mind came one day when I was watching a film with my brother-in-law who was an action/martial arts nut. So we sat there one Saturday afternoon watching this:

[​IMG]

It was campy and cheap alright so I began to comment pointing out bad lines and stuff. Still not sure what came over me but when things started to get worse I couldn't help but make fun of it. The more I put that film down the more I laughed. Soon enough I was suffering from laughing fits and couldn't stop. About halfway through the movie my brother-in-law left pissed (not without telling me what a jerk I am) because I spoiled his beloved action flick :D Still feel kinda bad about this thinking back but damn, I couldn't help myself.
    Shorty after that incident my search for cheese began ... and it's not like I had to look very hard because basically exploitation & cheese goes hand in hand.
    So, how was your first experience with cheese in movies? Love it, hate it? How much cheese can you take?

2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Man, I don't recall my first.

A favorite for me though - and it's criminal that it's not on DVD - has always been "Headless Eyes". Just about everything is wrong with is, and the actors actually seemed rather earnest, given they are in a poop-fest.

I had the VHS, and I'd put it on doing "bad movie evenings" I'd do annually at my house in Virginia. There was nothing quite like being there when unsuspecting people saw it for the first time. After the last time I showed it, I went to work the following day to find someone had bought me a teaspoon in a nice velvet pouch - just left it on my desk :D

I tend to only watch cheese within the horror genre, but I could be tempted by really tasty cheese in say, the action arena.

3. wizzer

wizzer get outta here ewe

i'm not exactly sure what qualifies as cheese and i've said before i'm not the biggest horror fan but am trying harder. i have found that the horror movies i like the best are the ones with sub-par acting and cheap effective creatures and gore portrayed on screen so it makes me laugh. i've been trying to watch alot of full moon pictures but off the top of my head, i'd say Terrorvision is pretty cheesy and i like it alot. i'm looking for more cheesy shit but i don't want anything shot on video.

also, i just re-watched for your height only and it is very cheesy and funny as hell. (but not horror)

4. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

As far as cheese goes, I was aware of it, but never really taken in by it back in the day, I never saw movies for the cheese as much as I would now because of one movie, Doom Asylum.

Doom Asylum is the cheesiest slasher that has ever and will ever exist. Shame it's not on DVD yet, but Image has been releasing Academy titles, so it could be just around the corner.

Following Doom Asylum, my next jump into cheese was Witchtrap, my second cheese fav!

5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

-- i'm looking for more cheesy shit but i don't want anything shot on video.--

Something Weird Video is your friend. ;)

6. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

I can't remember the first, but sittin here thinking hard enough and recalling shit when I see it now... "Planet of Dinosaurs" is pure cheese. It looked good to my 6 yr old eyes then when I saw it in the 80's... but seeing it recently... Whoah! wrap that cheese up and chuck it out. :)

7. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

I remamber seeing Class Of Nuke 'Em High and The Toxic Avenger when I was like 4 or 5, and I've been renting shitty movies my entire life. I don't remember most of them though and I'm probably the better for it.

8. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I guess some of the 60's Gamera films were among my first cheese fests,I especially liked the one where the two space vamps (one with a dubbed southern accent) kidnapped a couple of incredibly annoying kids and planned to eat their brains.Quality stuff ! I'm now especially fond of bad martial arts scenes in movies.I really enjoy good M.A. films,but I love the ones where they try to pass off someone who knows squat about fighting as a "lethal weapon",ala Halle Berry in CATWOMAN,wow,she's a MASTER !

9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

From all the cheesey flicks I used to watch late night on HBO, Cinemax and others when I was younger...it's virtually impossible for me to remember the first!

10. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

I don't remember those Troma flicks as being cheesy when I was 4 or 5. I just remember them being scary. I don't know when I actually started making fun of piss poor productions, probably in 3rd grade. That is when I started to really rent a lot of movies.

11. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

my first had to be the awsomely cheesy splatterfest PIECES

12. y2doublet

y2doublet Toxic Crusader

The first movie that even in my young age struck me as cheese must've been Howard the Duck. You know I was totally into the movie but somewhere inside me I knew that this was cinematically crap on so many levels.

13. Jamm

Jamm J'aime les cadavres

Like most, it's been so long I don't think I could remember the first cheesy film I fell in love with. At least not one that I remember as cheesy the first time I watched it. But, you all know my love for Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things has no end. Kinda like betterdan's love for Scissor Sisters.

Lately I've been moving away from watching the deliberately bad movies. My spouse still loves them though. And he will purposely rent Troma and Brain Damage Films releases. Both have some of the stinkiest cheese in the business!!!

14. Criswell

Criswell New Member

mmmmmmm Tough.

But like many others from the 80's....Plan 9 and robot Monster crystalised the concept.

Of course there were always cheesy films.........Vampire and the Ballarina, Most Toho films, 40's Republic films, but those two gave you the guildlines as to what to look for.

15. wizzer

wizzer get outta here ewe

just popped it in right now!

i love that girl on the skateboard hitting that big huge mirror for no reason right at the begining.

16. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Flesh Eating Mothers

17. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

:lol:

I HATED Headless Eyes the first time I watched it, but then I rented it again and actually thought it was quite creepy and, of course, very very cheesy. Where is Something Weird Video when you need them? :D

I think the first blatant offering of cheese that I can clearly remember is Breeders (1986). Is it any coincidence that Wizard Video put out both Breeders and Headless Eyes? I doubt it... they were the kings of cheese in the 80's, IMO.

18. tyuun

tyuun New Member

My first was definitly Toxic Avenger part 1. Not sure of my age but USA Network was showing the first 3 back to back one sunday and I was staying at my Grandmoms house. I found the 1st one (at the time) to be really disturbing but I couldn't stop watching it. I remember I had to rake her leaves in the front yard but I didn't get very far because I wanted to go back and watch it. Since then there have been tons and tons of complete crap. Little side note: one night a friend and me went to the corner movie rental place and asked the guy what a good cheesy movie was we could rent. He said "You want to see cheese? How about a girl getting fucked by a tree?" Hell yeah!! Sounds great! So he shows us over to the horror section and picks up Evil Dead. Well dispite the fact that he said it was cheese, it turned out to be the night I realized what GOOD horror movies were all about.

19. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Super Fuzz. My earliest memory in the theater, that and Empire Strikes Back.

Super Fuzz is still one of my top 20.