Your first experience with Wes Craven's New Nightmare

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I consider this to be the best of the "Elm Street" films, but I didn't always feel this way. I first saw the film via a VHS tape that my grandparents got me for the Christmas of, I believe it was '95. I had seen a trailer here and there on TV, but beyond that, I hadn't heard anything about the film. I was quite excited to see it, however, as I was a fan of the series. Suffice to say, when I popped the tape into the VCR, I was soon confused as to what I was seeing. I didn't hate the film, mind you. It just left me wondering what I had watched. The complete 180 compared to the rest of the series left me dumbfounded at the time.

I kept the tape, and as the years passed, my fondness for the film grew and grew, as did my understanding of the storyline. On a similar note, my love for some of the more juvenile entries in the series waned considerably. They're the type of movies I'd say you grow out of, but New Nightmare is the opposite. Still, I remember that original viewing with a sense of nostalgia despite my initial reaction.

Anyway, I was wondering about the experiences others had with the film on their initial viewing. There wasn't as much info or ways of getting it back in the mid 90's, so I was curious if anyone went into the film completely fresh like I did and if you have any stories to share about seeing it for the first time. Do tell.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2009
  2. Stige

Stige Active Member

I thought it was and is great , second favorite after part one

3. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I recall New Line's marketing to be quite confusing at the time. I wasn't for sure if Freddy was in it or not. I didn't get a chance to check it out until a few years later. I remember liking it quite a bit when I finally did see it.

4. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Great flick. No one wanted to see it in the theater since Freddy was out of vogue so I saw it myself and loved it.

5. Copyboy

Copyboy Member

I skipped this in the theater since parts 5 and 6 were so stinky, but rented it when it was released on VHS and loved it. I thought it was a totally original and amazing concept. But then I watched it again a few years later and wasn't so fond of it. I haven't seen it since but should probably check it out again.

6. Spacevis

Spacevis There's some Dettol in the jeep!

Great post sunshine, I like the way you described the way you experienced the film rather than just watched it. I think watching a film, with multiple viewings, can be an experience which is often what people mean when they say "it grows on you".

I've only seen New Nightmare once and was very irritated by Miko Hughes performance. He had the same effect on me in Mercury Rising. That ruined it a little for me. However, the story is very original and that kept me watching. Maybe I should watch it again, maybe it'll grow on me the way NOES 2 grew on me :)

That said, I don't hate Miko Hughes, because he taught me a very wise lesson in another movie:

boys have a penis, girls have a vagina

So you see, it's never all that black and white.

7. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

Saw it when my sister rented it when it came out on video, remember thinking it was clever but I hadn't even really seen the first movie at that point so I didn't get it as well as I should have.

You know what's REALLY weird? I've only seen part 1, Freddy's Dead (when it first came out on video) and New Nightmare. I own the box set but haven't gotten around to watching the others yet. I was too scared to watch horror flicks when these were REALLY popular, so I kinda missed the boat. Weird, though.

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It's overlit and I hate the kid.

9. geeare

geeare Guest

saw it in the theatre opening weekend and loved it.

10. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I haven't seen it since it was in the theatre and really don't remember much about it. For that matter, other than the original and Part 3, I don't remember a lot of the series. One of these days, I'll pick up that box set. I have all of the F13, Halloween, Evil Dead, Romero zombie and TCM films, but sadly none of the Nightmare series, except a VHS of the first one.

11. zombiecraig

zombiecraig New Member

Here's the breakdown:

The first time I watched it, I thought it was okay, but was surprised at how decent it was.

The second time I watched it, I enjoyed it even more.

The third time I watched it, I absolutely couldn't stand the child actor. I couldn't get past that, and now I really dislike the film.

The fourth time? Ugh! Maybe in a few years I'll give it another try.

12. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

I've never really liked this one. I too hated the child actor and thought he shitted up every scene he was in.

Another thing that bothered me is that

when they entered the dream world at the end of the film, it looked like a fun ride at Universal Studios. There was no sense of terror or dread, it just felt like a tired Freddy was trying to kill a kid in an amusement park ride. Might be the overlit comment that someone had said before

This movie would have probably worked better today with its loose "reality horror" undertones rather than a cartoonish Krueger.

13. Fall Break

Fall Break Member

I remember seeing a preview during SNL back in 94 and I was thinking, is this really a Nightmare movie and I can't believe it comes out in 6 days. I didn't even know it was coming out but man was it kick ass. When Freddy jump out of the closet I jumped big time.

14. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Saw it in the theater when it came out. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It turned around the quality of the series imo. The last couple of entries where getting a little to silly.

15. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

When it came out in theaters I was out of horror. Thought it was kiddy stuff and the trailers made me laugh. First time I watched it was a couple years ago when I picked up the boxset and loved it. One of the best movies of the franchise just behind probably the first one and part 3.

I do have some problems with it though, like others mentioned, the kid is rather annoying, and the end scene like Juggalo said felt like an amusement ride. They build the film up so well, and then when they end up there it just didn't pay off. It shouldn't have been dark and scary, not a fun ride. And actually for that matter, I didn't really like the look of Freddy. His face just seemed like a cheap rubber mask to me. Since they were going for a realistic take on the franchise, I would have liked to see his face look like it really would had you had your face burned off. Skin melted and hinging off, ect. Hopefully if they do a remake, they go that route, and make it less rubber, more melted flesh.

16. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Had a great time - saw this opening weekend with a really rowdy, hoodlum-ish crowd at a theater in Colma, California. At the time it was one of the few with DTS sound. The film was great - everyone was really into it. The opening sequence and then the rumbling of the earthquakes really stood out. They rocked! The only downside was the hoodlums around us. We were scared of them more than the movie.

17. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

That about sums up the first time for me. I do recall finally grabbing it at Hollywood (VHS days of course) and thinking I'm finally gonna see it, pretty sure something or someone tipped me off to it really being a Freddy flick just before.
    It wasn't what I expected at all, but that turned out to be a good surprise. I haven't watched it in a while now, but did a few years ago and still loved it. One of the better "smart" horror films.

18. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

First time I saw this film was in 2002 when I was 9.

I was slightly obsessed with Nightmare at the time and with Heather Langenkamp, but nonetheless I thought the film was very good and looking back on it now I really see that the plot was somewhat unique for the time.

I only really began to appreciate the film when I bought it in 2005
    I very much like it...

19. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Honestly I fell asleep watching New Nightmare in the theater. I can appreciate the film now after repeated viewings. Not the best or worst of the sequels in this series. I was glad to see Heather Langenkamp and John Saxon back.

20. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Had it in my dvd set for years, yet did not watch it until less than a year ago (at 33 yrs old, as I am now).

From the time this film was released, the whole Nightmare series already ran its course. I appreciate the fresh concept, but I was jaded by the time this was released. 90's era horror did not really interest me, hence a hibernation period excluding this from my diminished movie going interest at the time. Now there are some really good films over the past 10 years, so out with the old...

Not a bad film, but I still get a better feeling watching the original and Dream Warriors.