Your first experience with Wes Craven's New Nightmare

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

The box set is pretty cheap now, $35 on amazon. Much cheaper than the 3 weeks worth of lunch money and allowance I saved so I could buy it. That was starvation well invested, though.:D

On the topic of New Nightmare, though, it is pretty well-engraved in my childhood memories. My first experience was when it first came out on home video. It was either 1994 or early 1995. Regardless, I was in second grade and my brother and his friends rented it (this was about a year before I accidentally stumbled upon Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter on UPN one Saturday afternoon and I went on an all-out horror binge for the rest of grade school, much to my mother's bewilderment and concern) and I sat down with him, his friends, and my mother while they were in the middle of watching it. The second he started clawing at the baby sitter and dragging her ass all over the ceiling, my mom sent me to my room. I guess that might have been what planted the seed or primed the pump, but seeing F13: The Final Chapter is what got the engine running and shoved me headfirst into horror.

2. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

I remember I was a sophomore in high school and it opened the day of my homecoming formal so I took my girlfriend at the time that afternoon to see it because I had to go opening day. After the movie we parted ways, got ready for our dance and reconviened an hour or so later for the dance.

3. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I got into the NOES series when I was in the 6th grade. Since New Nightmare was the newest, it was the second one I saw after the first. I liked it, but didn't realize until I was in high school how amazing it was.

4. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Cartoonish? Odd, because I felt the complete opposite. I thought Krueger was the darkest and most evil he had been since the first and second films.

5. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

My first experience with 'New Nightmare' was when it first was released in the theatre, I was 8 years old at the time and was scared shitless of Freddy Krueger. My fear of Freddy started when I was 5 years old and watched "Freddy's Dead" at a sleepover with my cousins at my auntie's place at the time. After watching that, I was afraid of Q-tips for many years (still used them obviously, just very very careful) and had to sleep with the blinds closed in case Wicked Witch Freddy would fly by on a broom stick. Freddy was the one iconic horror character I always remembered seeing and hearing about as a kid, and of course had a sick fascination with him, even if I was frightened by him. Anyway, back to topic; I remember looking through the comics/magazine section at a local Pharmasave and they had the Fangoria 'New Nightmare' special on the rack. Of course I picked it up and very cautiously perused through the pages (I would later purchase a copy at a local used comic shop a few years later). The one picture of the nurse getting stabbed by Freddy on the ceiling really stuck with me. So that was my first taste of 'New Nightmare', but I didn't actually see the film until probably grade 5 or 6 when I started getting into horror films, and also started to not be a wimp who was scared of them. Long story but an iconic moment in my life in the horror genre, since it's Freddy who scared the bejesus out of me and planted that seed early.

But yes, I love 'New Nightmare'. Easily the best Nightmare film after the original, and a true original masterpiece of the horror genre. One of the few sequels that's on par with the original, very smart, well written, and pretty scary.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  6. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Honestly I've only seen it once,in the theater on opening weekend.It was a full house.The theater I saw it in was THX equipped and the sound and picture were excellent.
    I loved the idea of it and thought it had some good elements but it really didn't work for me.The film just didn't get me going,it held my interest but never really gave me a jolt.While I didn't dislike it (as I had PT. 5 which I thought was underdeveloped) it just never rated highly with me.Perhaps it was the fact that Freddy had become such an iconic character at the time that this crossover from the "REEL to REAL" concept was hard for me to fully embrace.At the time I felt that if Craven had used a fictional film series(and villain) in the picture (to invoke the idea of the ELM STREET films)and then unleashed a genuine evil force from it on his characters (sort of like what was done with the book dwelling killer from I,MADMAN) I might have been able to get more scares out of it.Freddy was so oversaturated at the time that even with the clever set up it was hard for me to find him frightening.
    It was a polished production though,even got an Independent Spirit Award nomination.

I should revisit it sometime,after all the time that has passed it might work better for me.

7. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

Saw it when it first came to Home Video. I REALLY disliked it. I honestly didn't really "get" what was going on (I was in my early teens at the time, and the whole "Freddy coming into the real world" thing was really hard for me to follow the first time I saw it) in the plot, i thought Freddy's make-up was awful, and I thought the dream world at the end sucked.

Now, years later, i REALLY dig the plot and the set-up, but the end dreamworld bit still comes off as weak to me, I'm still not the biggest fan of Freddy's look, and some of the effects work (The horrible comp job on the "running in traffic" scene, the Tongue fight, etc.) really don't sit the best with me. Like I said, i think that it's a fun film and that it's really well written, I just don't think it competes with the original. Better than most of the sequels, though

8. gore

gore Guest

I pretty much thought the same thing as in your first paragraph when I first saw it. And still do.

9. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I saw part of it on TNT's Monstervision and didn't think it was very scary or interesting. Parts of it are. But mostly, it's just technically proficient.

It is quite smart though.

10. Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee Member

I saw it opening weekend. I thought it had some good ideas but ultimately it just missed the mark for me. A for effort, C+ for execution.

11. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I first saw it opening weekend with a group of my friends for my birthday. We were in 7th grade and thought it was awesome.

Then I tried rewatching it a couple years ago and found it to be unwatchable. It's a total mess with a dumb storyline and bad acting (Bob Shaye?!?). I like that Craven tried to go outside the box, but don't shit in the box. I've pretty much written it off as a loss at this point.

12. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I really didn't like it. It was an interesting set-up, and I was glad to see Heather Langenkamp back (the original movie is the only one of these I like).

What really bothered me about it though was:
    Freddy was invincible at the beginning, and by the end he was weak as a drunk clown. I get why (I think), but it just didn't work for me. This is the problem I have with a lot of slasher films - the killer is nearly omnipotent while mysterious, but could then be easily overpowered by a spoon-wielding infant by the end.

13. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

I saw it on TV and I loved it. When I was 11, it scared the crap out of me (the bit where Freddy carves up the chick in the hospital in particular) but when I was older I really appreciated the story Craven had going for it.

The script was well-done and it was a great relief to see Heather Langenkamp back in a NOES film -- it almost always feels like a genuine Nightmare film when Nancy (or the actress playing a fictional version of herself) shows up. Don't know why, I just like her when she's the one fighting Freddy and not some other random character.