Your First "R" Rated Theatrical Horror Film

Discussion in 'General' started by SaviniFan, Apr 18, 2004.

1. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Hey everyone, was wondering what your first "R" rated horror movie you saw in theaters was and what age were you when you saw it. If you don't live in the USA, just respond with the appropriate rating for your country.

The first "R" rated horror film I saw in theaters was Scanners and I saw it on a double bill with Escape from New York. I was just 13 years old when I saw these at the theater and they let me in without an adult or checking my age.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2004
  2. puddytay

puddytay Guest

I can't even remember it might have been blair witch.

3. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Blair Witch for me, too. I think, thats the earliest one I remember. I think was still 11 at the time, (I remember it being out in the summer of 99, and my B-day is in October, so I wasn't quite 12 yet) My first R-rated movie, though, was Terminator 2 at the tender age of 4, after that, many more nights of R-rated purchases from the video store followed.

4. SilentScreams

SilentScreams Member

The first R rated horror film I saw was Nightmare On Elm Street and my parents took me to see Freddy's Dead in 91 so I was only 6. I guess I got into the genre real young. Being that I was only 6 I thought it was the greatest thing because of it being in 3D and all but now that I'm older I know better.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2004
  5. Dave

Dave Pimp

It might have been Freddy's Dead for me.

My first R rated movie that I ever saw was probably Halloween, which I saw on cable TV.

6. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

The first I remember seeing in the theater was Childs Play 2.

7. Mattster

Mattster Guest

Halloween 6

8. Surf Nazi

Surf Nazi Guest

I've NEVER seen an R rated movie in theaters. My parents have always been very conservative, religious, etc....and theaters piss me off anyways, I'd rather not be in a room full of dicks who are there to socialize rather than actually watch the fucking movie.

The last movie I saw in theaters was the original Jurassic Park

9. Luna

Luna Guest

Mine's a bit weird of course. Technically, the first movie I remember seeing in a theater is Dawn of the Dead, but it was unrated at the time and got an R rating in 1983, according to the IMDB. :rolleyes:

So I guess this means the first movie I saw in a theater that got an outright R rating would probably be The Amityville Horror. It might be Halloween, actually, but I don't remember seeing it in the theater so it doesn't really count. ;)

That's what happens when you see movies at such a young age... it all becomes one big blur. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2004
  10. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Hmmmm - I reckon it was Fearless Vampire Killers. I saw it around 1974. I caught a ton of films back then - Halloween during it's original showings, Friday the 13th, Prophecy, Dead Zone, Videodrome and on and on............

I'm so freaking OLD.

11. Luna

Luna Guest

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    Look at it this way... this means you got to see good movies in the theater, as opposed to the poor saps who are growing up today and seeing, say, "House of the Dead" and thinking it's the best movie they've ever seen. ;)

P.S. - I saw Videodrome in the theater too. :p

Disclaimer: I did not see House of the Dead and am just going by what I heard other people say about it, so don't jump on my shit if you loved it. Thank you.

12. As far as I can remember it was Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers.

13. onebyone

onebyone Guest

How dare you insult House of the Dead! It is THE.BEST.MOVIE.EVA! :p

Now that I got that out of the way, I think my answer is Psycho 2. It was like a big family event, the parents, the grandparents, aunts, uncles, and the youngsters. The rating didn't give anyone a second's pause; they were just SO EXCITED to see it. Yes, my family is weird.

14. KingJeff

KingJeff Guest

A double feature of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Hills Have Eyes at the local Drive-In when I was 4 or 5 (either summer of '78 or '79). My parents brought me and I never forgot the image of the cannibal biting the head off the bird.

The first R-rated movie that I asked to see in the theater was the first Nightmare on Elm St. The commercial on TV scared the hell out of me.

15. Luna

Luna Guest

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Out of curiosity... did we live in the same family? :nervous:

16. Dust Bunny

Dust Bunny New Member

Event Horizon when I was 16. It is an 18 cert in the UK (unlike the USA you have to be 18 to get in even if you have an adult with you). Lucky I am tall :)

17. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

Well, Australia's rating system's a little different. Our R is closer to your NC-17 (it's basically an NC-18). That said, the first 'R' movie I saw theatrically was 'Bad Taste' (I think I was a late-bloomer at 17).

At the time, the next classification down was 'M', which anyone's allowed to see legally, but is 'recommended' for Mature Adults. (A lot of movies that were R in the US came out as M here). So many movies fit into this category that there's no way in hell I could remember the first one I saw theatrically - I remember my parents taking me to see a lot of movies like 'Ghost Story' and 'Deadly Blessing' and 'The Amityville Horror' when I was well under 10 YO.

18. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

I think it was "Christine." Carpenter and King, not a bad pedigree for getting my cherry busted at the tender age of ten. I had already read most of King's books up to that point, too.

A while back, I tried to make a list of every movie I've seen in a theater and the theater I saw it in. Kind of an interesting thing to do. Most of the films that I saw as a kid were in an old single-screen theater in Kansas.

19. Andrew

Andrew Guest

The first one I saw without an adult ("sneaking in") was...SCREAM 3 :eek: ...I was 12 I think. As for with an adult, I have no idea. ALIEN RESSURECTION maybe?

As a side note, theater managers suck. I know you're supposed to be accompanied by an adult to an R-rated movie, but I've never really seen that enforced. Getting a ticket, however, is another story. So I got my mom to buy the ticket, we went in, and once we were sitting down this asshole comes up and says, "Do you have an ID?" I mean, I think if you can get a ticket, you should be able to see the movie. If a parent buys their child a ticket for an R-rated film, they are obviously okay with it. So because of this bastard I had to pay for another ticket, get my dad to come, sit with us until the last preview, and then leave. A huge pain.

20. mine was (or at least the earliest I can remember) was Wes Craven's New Nightmare the week it came out when I was 16.

I still every piece of advertising from the Toronto Sun from October '94 when it came out.