Your First "R" Rated Theatrical Horror Film

Discussion in 'General' started by SaviniFan, Apr 18, 2004.

1. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Nope, you are correct. In fact I believe it's PG-13.

2. SteveG

SteveG New Member

My first was Halloween II, my mom took me, and I think I was 13 or 14 at the time. I had seen Halloween on HBO and couldn't wait to see the sequel, far too young to get to the mall theatre without detection. While my mom hates horror movies today, I can recall her loving and jumping every minute of it :)

3. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

My first was Ghost Story by John Irvin, based on the book by Peter Straub. Scared me to death, but it really doesn't work now. Still like it, though.

4. satanservant

satanservant Guest

You guys are right it was pg. I could have swore it was R. Guess I'll have to rethink this. :confused: :eek:

5. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

My first R movie (at the theater) was Terminator.
    I also snuck into some other cannibal/zombie movie around the same time. It wasn't rated X, but it said in big red letters "NO ONE UNDER 17 ADMITTED, PERIOD!" I thought it was Dawn Of The Dead or Zombie, but I don't think it was as I remember a scene from the end that I haven't seen since.
    There was a guy and girl who both "survived", and one of them was sitting on a bench in a mall or park. The other came up and put their arm around them, then it was revealed that the one sitting was a zombie and took a bite out of the other, then the credits rolled. What was that?

6. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Sounds like HELL OF THE LIVING DEAD to me.

7. Swearboy

Swearboy New Member

The theatres where I grew up almost never got R rated movies let alone R rated horror movies. I believe my first R rated theatrical horror movie was A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child when I was 14.
    For non-horror it was Police Academy :D

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I gotta go with The Shining.

I think I had seen a couple of R-rated non-horror movies before that. Don't know why, but I remember seeing Semi-Tough (a lame Burt Reynolds football/new age movie).

My dad didn't like taking me to horror flicks, so then I just started hanging outside the theater, to walk in with groups of people seeing the movie. Remember, it says you have to be accompanied by an adult. Nowhere does it say you have to know them. Did that for The Final Conflict, and Halloween 2 I think. After that, I just walked in. No one ever checked. Only time I got hassled a little was for the re-release of Andy Warhol's Frankenstein.

9. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

You're fucking joking right? :eek:

10. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I'm betting bigdaddyhorse is talking about Don't Go Near the Park. If that's it I remember it being an extremely low budget flick with a very small role for the at the time young, Linnea Quiggly. I saw that on a double-bill with the excellent and soon to be released on DVD, Evilspeak.

11. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I honestly don't remember what the first R rated film I saw in theaters was. It might have been Bride of Chucky, but I'm not positive about that.

12. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

That sounds like I should check it out, but the title doesn't sound right. I think Hell of the Living Dead sounds more like it, esp. since I thought it was one of the Dead movies. I'll have to try both just to see though.

13. Doombear

Doombear Member

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (I was 15 at the time and they didn't ask for ID at the Drive-In - Lucky me).

14. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

much like bwana, i have no clue what the first R rated movie i saw was... not many films get an R rating here.. most are M (now MA15+)..

first movie i remember seeing alone that was remotely gorey was Freddy's Dead (the 3d one) because no one wanted to see it with me..

15. gloomy grrl

gloomy grrl Guest

Silence of the Lambs. I was 17 and I got my mom to buy me a ticket since they wanted to see ID!

16. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

My parents took me to see THE INCREDIBLE MELTING MAN when I was 4 or 5 in either '78 or '79. On the off chance that movie wasn't 'R' (it should be if it wasn't, it's gory enough!) then it would have to be a drive-in double feature of THE FOG/PHANTASM back in 1980. When I was a kid, nobody who worked at the movies worried much about corrupting minors. All my parents had to do was go to the ticket counter and give their consent and they'd let me and my friends in. Because times were different, I was able to catch a lot of classics without adult supervision before I even hit puberty.

17. satanservant

satanservant Guest

It took me a while but I finally figured it out. It had to be Halloween 4:The Return of Michael Myers in 1988. I remember my older sister being late in picking us up and driving like a maniac to make it to the theatre in time.

18. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

I think it was either Child's Play or Pet Sematary. I thought Child's Play was funny but Pet Sematary was scary as hell. The idea that people and animals could come back to live by burying them in the Indian burial ground was bad enough but this was also the first time I had ever been exposed to the grusome effects of Spinal Menengitis. I will never forget how that woman looked in the bed. Truly frightening.

19. adric

adric New Member

well the first R movie i saw was either speed or true lies. and i cant remember the first one i saw in theaters so i guess it wasnt very memoriable

20. Wizejoker

Wizejoker Guest

The Faculty was my first horror movie to see in theaters... I think it's R rated.