Your Golden Age of Horror Films

Discussion in 'General' started by Ash28M, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

What era did you consider horror to be at it's peak. For me the Golden Age of Horror Started in 1968 with the Night of the Living Dead and ended in 1982 with The Evil Dead.

It's almost like every film made today has a goal of trying to capure that feel of 70's Horror. Films had a different feel back than that not many films have been able to capture since.

What is your Golden age of Horror?

2. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

for me it runs roughly 1958-1973, basically starting with Horror of Dracula and ending around Last House on Dead End St., although there are some later films I wish could be included such as Dawn of the Dead

3. atkot

atkot Guest

Although I like horror films from all time periods, from the Universal days, to the Hammer era, up through now, I would have to say that even though two of my favorite films of all time(AOD/Dead Alive) are from the early 90's ,my "golden age" of horror would have to be 78 through about 87.
    Starting with Dawn Of The Dead and Halloween, and including movies such as Phantasm, The Evil Dead, The Re-animator, cult classics like Basket Case, the good entries in the Friday the 13th series, Return Of The Living Dead, and ending with the likes of Street Trash and last but definitely not least, probably my favorite of all time, Evil Dead 2, make this my "golden age" of horror.
    And coinciding with the birth of the vcr didn't hurt either.

4. How about 74 through the late 80s, starting with Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Black Christmas and ending with Hellraiser. Which includes Halloween, Alien, The Thing, Evil Dead, Pumpkinhead and ANOES.

5. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

My "golden age" of horror started in 1973 with The Exorcist followed by TCM & Jaws and ended in the late 80s.

6. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

Dunno, but it feels now like we are in a renaissance of good horror with some of the films about the last 6 months.

7. I think it good horror comes in waves.

The 30's, 50's, 70's, late 80's and I think we're experiencing a new renaissance with movies like 28 Days Later, Cabin Fever an d Wrong Turn ( I thought it was good).

8. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

mine is 1963-1988

9. Atmims

Atmims Guest

Mid 70's to mid 80's for me. I'd say it started with Texas Chainsaw Massacre and ended some where around Re-animator. That's when comedy/ horror really took over with the sucess of Re-Animator, Return of the Living Dead, etc. Within that time frame I would say some of the all time greatest horror came out.

10. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

Late 50's to mid 80's.

11. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Hmm, can't get too specific, but I have always been a 70s-80s slasher girl.

12. drown021

drown021 Guest

Seeing as how I grew up in the 80's and early nineties I would have to say the 80's.What really turned me on to horror besides nightmare on elm street was all the troma films they used to play on USA "up all night".

So put me down for the 80's.

13. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

1957-1985, with a specific affinity for anything made during the 70s. Maybe it's because I was born in 1974.

14. Mine started with Blood Feast (1963) and ended with Dellamorte Dellamore. Long stretch I know but A LOT of great horror movies were made, then they stopped being good. 2003 had some really good movies though, so maybe a new golden age will begin :D

15. Revoltor

Revoltor Guest

the 80's.

Gore was refined. Latex brought to new levels. Breasts every 10 minutes.

Sure some of it became repetitive but the same can be said for the entire horror genre from Nosferatu to the Texas Chainsaw remake.

16. rhett

rhett Administrator

For me the golden age is from Night of the Living Dead in '68 to A Nightmare on Elm Street in '84.

17. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

Ditto! I can think of very few horror movies that I think of as 'great' that fall outside those years.

18. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

It's tough for me to assign any date period as I believe there has been plenty of great horror films released "worldwide" every year since the 40's.

19. STREET TRASH

STREET TRASH Synthicide

1970 with I Drink Your Blood & ended in 1989 with Society.

20. Latency

Latency Guest

I'm with Revolter on this one. Being a child of the 80's, I grew up with Freddy and Jason as the "boogymen". Slasher films were the norm and you never had a lack of selection when going to the video store. And as stated before, it was a great era for gore, latex, and boobs. When you're a young boy in the 80's, you want all the boobs you can get, and what better way than to watch a good slasher :).