Your Most Wanted: NOT on DVD

Discussion in 'General' started by vampyr789, May 22, 2009.

1. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Lol. The worst that ever happens is I wake up with items in my Amazon cart that I don't recall putting there. Sure I would love a Samsung 75' 3D UHD TV, but I don't have the $5000 to buy it.

2. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Ha ha ha, that's one huge TV! Maybe your Ambien self makes more than you do and has some cash squirreled away.

3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Good grief. There's a Bizarro buck135 that is more productive while asleep thanks to Ambien. He also has good taste in televisions. Sorry my insomnia has completely derailed this thread everyone.

Workshed likes this.
  4. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

There is still a ton of old made for tv stuff out there I'd love to see on dvd format. House on Greenapple Road, the full length Harvest Home, This House Possessed, Haunts of the Very Rich, and the series Next Step Beyond which creeped me out as a kid.

5. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

That is amazing news. It's always been a favorite of mine. I vividly remember catching that AND Night of the Demons on Cinemax really late at night in middle school and falling in love with both of them.

I would settle for even a reasonably presentable DVD at this point. The VHS rip I have is pretty rough and the copies I have watched over friends' houses have not been much better. Obviously, a blu-ray would my preferred option. I feel like this is a film that would look pretty good remastered. If Arrow got ahold of the original elements they would reconstruct the original rough edit of Twisted Souls and remaster Spookies. :D

6. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Spookies is available on DVD in the UK, It's from Vipco, so don't expect much, but it is very cheap, so would keep you going.

7. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've seen that release for sale. I'm curious if it is even better than the rip that I have.

8. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Probably not much better, if at all:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then again I think they did like 3 editions of this one and those caps are from the first, so maybe later ones are better.

9. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

All releases were from bargain basement operations, I suspect each edition will either be the same or the newer ones will be worse. To be fair, I don't think it looks to bad, I've seen a lots worse releases from them.

10. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

That looks about the same as what I have. I'll wait. Hopefully something better will be released down the line.

11. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

So DiabolikDVD posted this on instagram about a new release of SPOOKIES, from a 2k scan, then quickly turned off commenting. I can’t find any info online about this release.

https://instagram.com/p/BZtnDcglQ0f/

fceurich39 and Katatonia like this.
  12. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Hmm, interesting. "Les Spookie" french cover eh? o_O

13. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

It's far from being an official release, but it is a genuine 2k scan of a collector print.

Katatonia likes this.
  14. Katatonia

Diabolik had it in stock earlier, but quickly sold out. I was able to get an order in right before it did sell out.

Who knows when/if it will ever get an official release, so I took the gamble. It certainly has to be better than the old Vipco PAL DVD! o_O

satans-sadists likes this.
  15. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

I got 3 copies of Le Spookie DVD dirt cheap from my local record shop. They consider it an import so it got mixed in with imports. I'm sure this is bound to become an obscure collectors item. The transfer is the best and blows all the old versions out of the water. I was skeptical about the 2k scan but it's legit. I'm not familiar with the company who produced it. So I hope I don't get DVD rot over time. By the way there is 8 copies in stock at diabolik.

Katatonia likes this.
  16. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

It's the same source as the UK version. Just widescreen. We need a Blu. 3 copies? Wow. Only 2 stores in the world have this available. Nice find.

It's very odd some little known company puts out a dvd , "French title", with no French options on it.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  17. Katatonia

Yeah, I got it the other week from Diabolik. The widescreen 2k scan transfer looks pretty solid, and easily the best the film has looked on any home format.

I'm sure some studio will probably do an official release at some point, but this will serve until then.

18. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

It is NOT the same source as the UK DVD which was from a tape transfer/master, this "Quebec" disc is in fact a new 2K scan of a collector's 35mm print on a pressed disc. It just happens to be an unofficial and unlicensed grey market release since the Spookies rights are still lost in limbo. I know this for a fact because I know the film print's owner.

Katatonia likes this.
  19. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Ok, I read on some forum that it basically was except for the widescreen. Which can change the look of the image obviously. Guess that info was wrong. Don't shoot the messenger but even the imperfections in the video are identical to the old releases was noted. Seems suspect.

But like I figured it's an unofficial, essentially another bootleg copy.(imo that's what I call it) Hopefully a Blu someday will be released, or at the very least an offical version dvd.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017