Your opinion of SAW

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by intothevoid2004, Oct 25, 2004.

?

What was your opinion of the movie SAW???

Poll closed Nov 24, 2004.
  1. Excellent

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Very Good

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Average

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  4. Poor

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. Awful

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. I thought it was the best horror flick of this year by far.....Any other people feel the same way???

2. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Best horror film of the year, IMO. I'm startled at the negative comments I've heard. I was actually a little shaken by the film, and that never happens to me. It was entertaining...and very well-made and acted. A whopping thumbs up from this poster. :evil:

3. Definately the best horror film thus far in 2004. One of the best films overall this year in my opinion. The acting was stellar! I can't wait to see it again!

4. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Excellent Movie

5. Anyone else get a chance to see this today??? I promise you its an 8 or 9 out of 10.....

6. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I don't want promises, I want gurantees. Like you promising me to refund my $18.00 it's gonna cost the wife and I to go see this if I deem it less than an 8.....

7. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

I Hope Dvd Will Be Unrated If There Is A Version

8. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Guest

Hey, you're talking to the right person with the right job if you want a refund.

9. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

So awesome! So intense! I loved it! This is now my number one favorite movie of all time!

10. Severn

Severn Member

Good solid movie but not the best one I've seen this year (which would be Haute Tension).

11. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

i haven't seen Haute Tension yet, so this was my favorite horror movie of the year.the acting was a little over the top but it didn't bother me. My only real compaint would be some retarded editing at times.

12. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Very good movie, but I wouldn't call the acting stellar. Thats a very strong word. Adam wasn't that bad considering he wrote the film, and it was his first (he's done a very small part in matrix) time acting.

13. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can't understand the thumbs up on the acting. Espcecially concerning the detectives, the acting was pretty bad. I will never say the idea isn't great, but how could anyone watch Saw and think it is better than Haute Tension?

14. uradouche

uradouche New Member

"Saw" this last weekend. I have to say I can't even call this a horror movie. It is a suspense thriller. Here's 2 very important points that make a movie "horror"
    1. Frame of reference, or perspective. A horror movie should put the viewer in the moment, right there with the victim, experiencing the same things as the victim or characters as they happen. Saw told the story from the perspective of detectives and hearsay from the main character (Cary Elwes) Most of the victims fate is already known before you see what happens to them, therefore, no horror. There is a few "boo" moments, but resorting to that is the simplest and most base way to scare someone.
    2. Showing the action Vs. the RESULT of the action. Horror is seeing the knife go in, the head explode, the stomach being cut open, SEEING THE ACTION. Horror is not seeing a crime scene after the fact.
    Oh and if I wanted to see a better version of SAW, I'd just watch SEVEN again. (also NOT a horror movie)
    The main complaint for me is: don't market things for what they are not. EVERYONE is dry-humping this movie. (except for Fangoria, their on-line review was pretty much on the money, as are most of their genre reviews)
    Don't get me wrong, this movie is way better than a thousand Shark's Tales or Stealing Christmases, but if you want horror, go see some Fulci.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2004
  15. PMcG_6

PMcG_6 Guest

I agree. I saw it Saturday and came out a little disappointed. It was good but not great. I didn't come out saying "I'm definitley getting this on DVD!" instead it was "I might...". I think all the hype here on the board and on JoBlo.com had an impact on it. I was expecting more. So far, my favourite movie this year is probably 'Shaun of The Dead'. Haven't seen 'Haute Tension' yet. Hopefully that won't disappoint too.

16. uradouche

uradouche New Member

Right on about Shaun of th Dead!!! Super fun entertaining movie (with a great "tearing to shreads scene" to boot!)

Speaking of "booting", saw Haute Tension at Fantasia Fest in Montreal this summer UNCUT!!! Really powerful film, amazing gore, actually sent the guy in front of me to the bathroom to puke! Really intense! But.......... it has a twist that MAY piss you off. Even so, it's above and beyond any modern horror I've seen in 10 years!
    *******WARNING! The theatrical release next year will be HEAVILY CUT! Do yourself a favor and pick up the official Thai DVD release (even though it's dubbed) on EBAY. I got mine for like 8 bucks.

17. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I love the twist in Haute Tension although I do admit most people I know were unimpressed with it. Maybe I'm just thick.

18. uradouche

uradouche New Member

The more time that passed, the less pissed I became, and most of the loose ends were tied up ok. I think I'm just really burned out on that M. Night Shaaaamaamaamalama twist bullshit. It was really original and fresh and kick ass and then pppppppphhhhhhhhttttt. Anyway, I am still haunted by the gore, which more than makes up for any foibles! There's a great review on film threat that pretty much sums up how I felt.

19. PMcG_6

PMcG_6 Guest

That's what I've heard. I think Arrow In The Head at JoBlo.com said something about it. I was planning on finding an "uncut" region DVD somewhere instead.