Your Opinion of Troma Films.

Discussion in 'General' started by Ash28M, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

I like some of their older movies, like Toxic Avenger, and Class of Nuke 'Em High. They really suck at Dvds, though.

2. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I enjoyed SURF NAZIS MUST DIE, but felt it didn't live up to it's zany potential. Leroy's Mamma was the most inspired heroine in (my) recent memory. I felt the film needed a more kinetic, hyperactive director to really pull it off.
    Besides TOXIE 1 and 2 and CLASS OF NUKE 'EM HIGH, I really stopped paying attention. They offered some fun "titles" in the early '90's, but they were simply clever re-titles of odd, pedestrian, nothing films...why they bothered with them, I'll never know (a cheap package deal purchased someplace and dolled up to make money...hmmm where have I heard of that before?). At least the ads for STUFF STEPHANIE IN THE INCINERATOR and RABID GRANNIES "seemed" like they could be fun films...they (along with FAT GUY GOES NUTZOID) were nothing more than yawn fests.

3. DEADCHRIST

DEADCHRIST Guest

I think Surf Nazis Must Die is perfect. It's not over the top crazy like most troma films, it doesn't try too hard to be "zany", it's something completely bizarre taken dead seriously. Great soundtrack and one of my favorite Troma flicks.

Also, Combat Shock and Igor and the Lunatics... how anyone couldn't like these is a mystery to me.

Fertilize the Blaspheming Bombshell is another one that most people probably wouldn't care for, but I think it's great.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2007
  4. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Ahh, I forgot about Class of Nuke 'Em High! I did enjoy that one. :D

5. wago70

I admit that one was quite brazen and very forward about its intentions.

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I just think they try too hard at making crap. They could make much better films if they wanted to. They feel their niche is making the worst movies they can, so that's what they do.

For me that just doesn't feel right. You just watch a movie they make and you know they go out of their way not to care. I've seen movies with much less budgets do better. Troma has money. Perhaps at the start they didn't, but now they do. I actually think the more money they make the lower they bring their standards just to see how much they can make from spending so little.

Roger Corman is perhaps the perfect example of doing what you can with what you have. Sure he made crap, but he did the best with what he had. When he had the money, he'd actually make good films. Troma has a ton more money on any one of their films than Corman ever had on Little Shop of Horror, and nothing Troma can produce are even half as good as Little Shop.

I think that's the key for me, that go out of their way not to care. It's one thing to watch the Polonia Brothers home movies, they've got nothing to work from. Not even talent. So of course that's terrible. You can see with Troma though, if they wanted to they could make something better with exactly what they have. So if they won't try for me, why should I try for them?

7. DEADCHRIST

DEADCHRIST Guest

That's exactly what annoys me about most Troma flicks, namely the post 80s flicks. Not to sound like a nostalgic shitheel, but most everything after 95 (at the very latest) sucks

8. Wayne Manor

Wayne Manor New Member

Unrepentantly and unnecessarily shitty.

Those of you who bring up Troma films from the '70s are forgetting that there was, even with Troma, a certain desire for competency in presentation and execution that, with the video era, vanished faster than a fart in an erupting volcano. However, Lloyd Kaufmann - sage and amiable as he has always been - seems swallowed by a chucklesome cult of personality that makes Uwe Boll look like Bergman in comparison.

Ingmar Bergman, not Ingrid Bergman, I mean.

9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

You can't CREATE camp and cult classics, it has to happen on it's own.

And I too don't consider those older titles, and even stuff like Mother's Day to be Troma films.

10. DEADCHRIST

DEADCHRIST Guest

I wouldn't really consider stuff like BLOODSUCKING FREAKS to be Troma films either, but Mother's Day? That was directed by his brother...

11. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

X-Human that was a great reply, and a good read as well.

12. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

However:
    Tromeo and Juliet is great trashy fan.
    I dig Toxie as well. And I like the fact that they gave a film like Combat Shock a chance.

13. wago70

I feel that way, too. MOTHER'S DAY was its OWN thing. It's just NOT Troma. In my heart, it will always be UFD...;) :D

14. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I hate Kaufmann. Every time his ugly mugg shows up on a dvd I have to hit skip or FF or whatever else I can do to get him off my screen as fast as possible.

I don't even bother to watch the extras on a Troma disc. They're a waste of time.

The only good thing I can say is that they put out DVDs for The Children, Stendhal Syndrome, Combat Shock, and Beware! Children At Play...but they did such a piss poor job on them that it pretty much negates that positive.

I will watch the occasional movie released by Troma but I won't buy them and support this company. There's a few they have that I really want but I just can't buy them from Troma.

15. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

Teenage Catgirls in Heat was funny, but some of their stuff is really bad, oh and Lust For Freedom was pretty entertaining, I haven't seen a lot of Troma movies, but like any company they can be hit and miss I guess, those introductions are annoying though!

16. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I used to like the NUKE 'EM HIGH series. None of the others have done much for me, except of course for the ones mentioned that Troma only distributes and didn't have a hand in making.

17. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

There will always be a place for Troma films in my collection. In an era where most studios are far too willing to compromise in the name of political correctness, Kaufman continues to do his best to offend everyone. That's invaluable to me.

That said, many of his movies are bad bad and not good bad. And their DVD releases are almost always technically inept.

But really, is Citizen Toxie really worse than the remakes of The Fog or When A Stranger Calls? I strongly prefer Kaufman's crap to the seemingly endless run of uninspired retreads that Hollywood keeps churning out.

18. Fumi

Fumi Member

I hate Troma. I could explain why, but then I'd be putting more thought into my post than they do into their films, so I'll just leave it at that :D

19. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Most of their better releases are ''pickups",films produced by other companies.Of their homegrown stuff I recall TROMA'S WAR as being tacky fun,and the original TOXIC AVENGER had some modest virtues.

For good or bad,Kauffman is a tireless self promoter.I always thought of him as a Three-Card Monte vendor,he's kinda fun to watch for a couple of minutes,just so long as you remember that in the end,it's all a scam.

20. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Hate Troma...