Your opinions on these DVDS?

Discussion in 'General' started by SilentScreams, Apr 9, 2004.

1. SilentScreams

SilentScreams Member

These are the DVDS I'm interested in buying next. What are your opinions on the films and their DVDS?

Black Sabbath
    Black Sunday
    Blue Sunshine
    C.H.U.D.
    The Crazies
    Curse of the Demon
    Dead of Night 1945
    Deep Red
    Fright
    Phenomena
    Raw Meat
    Tenebre

2. Latency

Latency Guest

The only one I've seen is black sunday and I highly recommend it. Alot of people didn't like it too much though ..... you should read the review on this site and then decide for yourself. I personally love it mainly because of the B&W gothic atmosphere. It's the perfect movie to watch Hallow's eve :). Oh and Barbara Steele is so hot it's crazy :) (she needed more sceen time tho).

3. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Tenebre is great!!! One of Argento's best. Deep Red is almost just as good as well. The commentaries are decent, but long. Not many special features on em as I recall. :) Saw C.H.U.D. a long time ago, can't recall much.

Nick

4. The CHUD DVD is cheap and it has a commentary on it, if you like the movie definitely get it. I'm glad I bought it.

5. puddytay

puddytay Guest

chud and phenomena are the only 2 there I would recommend.

6. Andrew

Andrew Guest

BLACK SABBATH is one of my two favorite Bava films. Fantastic atmosphere in each segment and very interesting stories as well. Great, great film.

BLACK SUNDAY is one that I don't like as much. The atmosphere is there, but aside from one or two interesting scenes, I really can't get into this one. Considering Barbara Steele is hideous, it isn't enjoyable on that level either.

BLUE SUNSHINE is an interesting film with some nice undertones about the society of the times. The disc is worth it for the special features alone, though. The short film on there is great, as are the commentaries by Lieberman and the interview. Having the soundtrack is a cool bonus as well.

C.H.U.D. is fun, but not a great movie by any means. The commentary is better than the movie.

THE CRAZIES was pretty disappointing for me too. Not very engrossing or exciting, but there are some definite "Romero" moments. Completely unmemorable though.

DEEP RED is one of my favorite films, so it goes without saying that this is a must buy. Amazing soundtrack, suspense, character development, story, gore, etc. etc.

PHENOMENA is one of my least favorite Argento films, but that's not to say it isn't still a decent movie. The opening scene is great and there are several others sprinkled throughout. Love the operatic score, but the heavy metal music was a bit too much for me.

TENEBRE is also amazing, my third favorite of Argento's films. One of the greatest gialli ever made, with awesome characters, murders, and an interesting plot. The ending is fantastic as well.

7. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I would recommend the three Argento films, as Andrew said Phenomena is the least of them, but is still a good flick. Tenebre kicks all kinds of ass, though, and Deep Red is right behind it.

8. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

OK, here's what I've seen:

Black Sabbath - Like others have said, a great anthology film. The middle segment is fantastic, and the visuals will blow you away. Great film, and highly recommended.

Black Sunday - Another great one IMO. Mario Bava was a fantastic director, and I think this is one of his best. One of the best B&W horror flicks I've ever seen. Definite buy, I'd say ;)

C.H.U.D. - Decent 80's cheese, but nothing spectacular. If you can get it for cheap, I'd recommend it, as it is a fun watch.

The Crazies - Terrible, terrible film. It still baffles me why Romero is so respected...this film is far too talky for it's own good (trust me, lots of dialogue is great, but this film just takes it over the edge). This film just bore me to tears...the audio on the DVD kinda sucks as well.

Dead of Night - Another fantastic B&W film...this would be among my favorites as well. The ending is great.

Deep Red - My third favorite Argento film...great flick. It's odd watching it uncut, as it switches back and forth between Italian and English, but I got over it quickly...one of the better gialli.

Phenomena - Highly underrated Argento flick IMO. It reminded me of a twisted Alice in Wonderland...I liked it a lot. I also think this was his last great film up until Sleepless.

Raw Meat - Eh, this movie reminds me of an inanimate object...it's just kinda there. Nothing much happens, and the plot is completely empty. I don't think it's worth the $10 price tag it sports.

Tenebre - My second favorite Argento film, and definitely on of the greatest gialli of all time. See where a flick like Scream got a bunch of it's ideas....if you only have money to buy one of these DVD's, I recommend this one above the rest.

9. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

Black Sabbath is one of Bavas best and the DVD transfer is beautiful.

10. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Deep Red, Phenomena, and Tenebre are all fantastic- if you like bizarre murder mysteries, you will love these! The direction, the music, and the plots are all brilliant! Although I will agree with Andrew, I didn't like the metal music in Phenomena, but that is my only complaint.

Fright is an effective suspense-thriller, but some parts I found rather boring. If you like British films, you might want to give this a try.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2004
  11. dwatts

dwatts New Member

C.H.U.D.
    Nice film. Not gory, not frightening. It's a Saturday afternoon film with goofy monsters in it. I watch this one every now and again, and really enjoy it for what it is. Gore hounds should avoid - but if all you want is a good time......

The Crazies
    I have the Blue Undergronud disc and really don't like this one. Turns out I'm just not a Romero fan overall. Zombies = good, most of the rest is bad. This one looks as though it was made in a shoebox, it SOUNDS like it was made in a shoebox. Not within itself a bad thing (like low budget films) but it just doesn't work for me.

Deep Red
    Well, Argento fans scream from the rooftops that this is his best. Maybe I went in with too high expectations. It's good, but the AB disc is way too long, and Tenebrae is all around better.

Fright
    Nice little film, and it has Susan George :sperm:

Phenomena
    Well, if you're almost out of Argento flicks, this one will do. Make sure you watch everything except Trauma and Phantom first though.

Raw Meat
    Interesting film, it has one wonderful shot in it, seeing the inside of the dungeon, but then the camera work falls flat. Nothing in the film, for me, comes close to that one shot. The sound quality on the DVD is pretty bad, imo. Not to mention, the original title of "DeathLine" is better. People talk about Lee's cameo, but it's short, and has nothing to do with the story. Still, cheap!

Tenebre
    Amazing film - great all around - story, soundtrack, acting. It's Argento's best, imo.