Your Personal Favorite Horror Director

Discussion in 'General' started by SaviniFan, Jun 24, 2002.

1. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I was just curious as to what everyone's favorite horror director is. Please, only choose a director that has made 3 or more "horror" movies.

My favorite is:

David Cronenberg

I choose him because he rarely puts out a stinker (imo), and his films are thought provoking and usually very origional. Not to forget that he doesn't shy away from some nice gory effects too.

2. Rock

Rock Member

Used to be Tobe Hooper (before way too many stinkers), then Wes Craven (before way too many stinkers), then George Romero (before too many stinkers), and John Carpenter (before way too many stinkers)...now it's a tie between Bob Clark (DEATHDREAM, BLACK CHRISTMAS, MURDER BY DECREE) and Jeff Lieberman (SQUIRM, BLUE SUNSHINE, JUST BEFORE DAWN), and neither have done anything in years...

3. dvdasia62

dvdasia62 Guest

Dario Argento and George Romero. I can't decide. :)

4. Mr. Giallo

Mr. Giallo Guest

Toss-up between Dario Argento, Lucio Fulci, and Mario Bava.

I also like Tobe Hooper in his "classic period" (TCM thru Lifeforce), John Carpenter, and Jess Franco.

But if I had to pick one, I'd say Fulci.

5. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

Same here, I liked Romero before I got into Argento but now I don't know which I like better.:confused:

6. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Argento's at the top of the tree for me...

...followed by Carpenter, Fulci, Cronenberg and Romero.

7. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    It would be so hard to pick one, but If I went by the amount of films that I like by one person, it would have to be John Carpenter, but I love so many by Argento & Romero too!!

8. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

It has always been a tie between John Carpenter and David Cronenberg, and they are not just my favorite horror directors, but also my favorite directors, period!

9. rhett

rhett Administrator

Without a doubt John Carpenter. I am big on the visual side of cinema, and the way he utilizes the scope ratio is ingenious. His overt fixation on Night vs. Day and Good vs. Evil is also an appealing topic for dissection, and he, like Cronenberg, Raimi, Hooper and Argento, fits the bill as a horror auteur in every sense.

My runner up would be Brian De Palma. I just wish he'd make more films like he used to in the 1970's.

I would venture to say Hitchcock, but I've seen only a handfull of his films and am not suitable to comment on it.

10. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Love the work of Cronenberg, Lynch, Carpenter, Romero and Argento. Also gotta mention Andrzej Zulawski, he only made one "horror" film, but its a big fave of mine.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2002
  11. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

hmmmm this is pretty hard-- overall, i guess its Ruggero Deodato, seeing as how much i like House at the Edge of the Park and Cannibal Holocaust...

i think i should mention Jess Franco, Jorge Buttgereit, Fulci, Argento and Sergio Martino-- since they are definitally up there

12. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Rami, Argento and Romero are my faves. ;)

13. gusse

gusse New Member

If you consider Alfred Hitchcock to be a 'horror director' he would be my top pick with out a doubt, but personaly I don't think he should be considered a horror director. He is more of an suspense-drama director in my book and there for I'll have to go with Dario Argento, followed by John Carpenter.

14. My favorite would be Sam Raimi despite only making 3 (if U count AOD) all-out horror movies. He has a good "feel" in his films to scare people (he did it a couple of times to my wife in Spider-man).

Other faves, though they haven't impressed me lately is Craven and Carpenter.

15. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Argento and Raimi. Can't choose or even compare the two really.

16. Yowie

Yowie Hologram

My choices are #1: Hitchcock, and #2: Polanski even though the bulk of their work may not be "horror". Whatever the term, suspense/mystery/thriller/horror; in many ways it all boils down to the same thing. Of course, it depends on what you think horror is, but horror can be more than one thing. Borh directors have made films I would consider horror as well as many thrillers. Just like Argento and Fulci have. With Hitch I'd call "The Birds" horror, "Psycho" would be a slasher, and "Frenzy" too, or a British Giallo if you will. Polanski's "Rosemary's Baby" is definitely horror, "The Tenant" might also be considered horror, while "Fearless Vampire Killers" is a horror comedy. I've even heard people say "Macbeth" is a splatter movie. I'd definitely say they're both (also) horror.

17. Atmims

Atmims Guest

I like Argento and Fulci a lot. It's impossible for me to pick a personal favorite. I also really like Peter Jackson's movies (He hasn't let me down yet) and I also like Billy Tang (Brother of Darkness, Red to Kill) and Herman Yau (Untold Story, Ebola Syndrome) Although I haven't seen many of their movies yet.
    Adrian Mims

18. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

Hands down, H.G. Lewis is my favorite director. He's the Godfather of Gore.:D
    Romero would be my second pick. I can forgive him for The Dark Half and Bruiser, cause the Dead trilogy, Martin, The Crazies, & the criminally underrated Monkey Shines are great contributions to the genre.

19. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Member

I agree. He always seem to stuff a bunch of ideas into his movies and some of these ideas are way out there. As for stinkers, steer clear of "M. Butterfly". Thematically, it's suitably Cronenbergian but the finished product is timid and boring.

20. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Hmmmm....if I HAD to pick, it would go to Carpenter. I just love anything the man does, ANYTHING. 2nd place would go to Jackson. I love the man's style. Honorable mention goes to Lynch, who would have been my #1, but this WAS about horror directors and he really isnt.