Your SCARIEST films of all-time?

Discussion in 'General' started by Lyle Horowitz, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

I'm not talking about your favorite horror films, but the ones that actually SCARE you.

Here's a list from me:

1. The Sixth Sense - actually scared the shit out of me in the theatre, I was holding my heart the whole way through because I thought I was going to have a heart attack.

2. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) - Very intense, nerve wracking, unsettling, but it also scares me. Not in a "boo!!!" type of way, but it really, really, really gets under my skin.

3. The Old Dark House - This James Whale classic is very unsettling, and really creeped me out.

4. The Tenant - Confusing, claustrophobic, and makes you think. You feel paranoid, just like the protagonist.

5. Persona - One of the most unsettling, thought-provoking, and depressing films ever made.

6. Tomb of Ligeia - A very moody and spooky Vincent Price film, one of my favorites, although the ending is typical of Roger Corman, very formulaic.

7. Night of the Living Dead (1968) - Very scary, disturbing film. You feel trapped while watching the film, at points.

8. Suspiria - Loud, ferocious, colorful, violent, and very, very, very scary.

I'll add some more when I get the chance.

2. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

The Exorcist scared me to death and gave me nightmares as a kid.

Same experience after watching Jaws.

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Yeah, it's aged related to me. when I was a kid, things frightened me all the time (Karloff and Lugosi were horrifying.)

In the last two years though - Blair Witch Project was the only one that really frightened me.

4. Mattster

Mattster Guest

The Exorcist, Phenomena (as Creepers), Suspiria, The Ring

Almost all horror movies from the past 5 years make me tense because the theater I go to has huge screens and outrageous speakers. I get kind of sick watching them.

5. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

Jaws...because sharks do exsist.
    Jaws: The Revenge ...because it's true that sometimes sharks do want revenge.
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre...saw as a kid and has always freaked me out.
    The Changeling...very cool ghost story..the kind you read about in those true ghost story books.

6. Dust Bunny

Dust Bunny New Member

Black Christmas
    Candyman
    Changeling, The
    Dark Water
    Deep Red
    Don't Look Now

And the 1992 BBC Halloween showing of Ghostwatch cause I was younger and I thought it was real.

7. Slow

Slow Guest

The Ring, BWP

8. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

The Shining

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

I never sleep with the lights closed after I see these.

9. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

The Exorcist and Amityville 2: The Possession are the only two i could remember being scared of as a kid.

10. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

This topic has come up a good amount of times in the past, but I suppose I can post mine up again. Some spoilers will be included:

The Blair Witch Project- Never have I been more terrified by a film than this one. It utilizes the fear of the unknown to absolute perfection, and the dread is overwhelming. I still have a hard time bringing myself to watch this one every now and then.

Black Christmas- Another favorite with great usage of the fear of the unknown. The warped phone calls get to me every time, and the fact that we never fully see the killer, nor know his identity makes the film all the more frightening.

Prince of Darkness- Carpenter's best and most frightening film. There are some very freaky scenes throughout, as well as loads of bizarre imagery. The ideas in the film are also very unsettling, and the old church is a very eerie setting. The fantastic score drives the dread up to soaring heights too.

Session 9- a fantastic and very creepy new classic in my eyes. To me, what is so creepy in the film is the atmosphere of Danvers and the bizarre multiple personality sessions. Danvers is a very creepy place, and being in it would be creepy enough, but being stalked in it would be truly terrifying. The film is also full to the brim with the feeling of dread, and and like any good horror score, the one here only reinforces that feeling. When we find out that Gordon is the killer, its still very disturbing and rather creepy, but not as scary as it was when we didn't know the killer. Of course, the fact that he seems to be possessed by this Simon entity throws it right back into scary territory for me.

Rosemary's Baby- Polanski's horror epic is a mind bending mixture of nonstop paranoia and insane terror. The fact that Rosemary is being screwed over by her neghbors and her own husband is bad enough, but the fact that nobody will believe her makes it even worse. The performances in the film make the terror so much more prominent as well.

Carnival of Souls- Amazing and very frightening classic shot on a shoestring budget. The ghoulish man who keeps appearing to Mary is a very creepy sucker, and the dance of the dead scene is quite nightmarish. I also think the scenes where Mary tries to talk to the people in town only to have them seemingly not notice her beyond creepy.

Halloween III- Say what you will, but there is some disturbing and frighteningly bizarre material in this film. It has a very serious and unnerving tone to it as well, and the score itself is very creepy.

The above are the only films that have maintained fright for me throughout the entire film. There are many films that have scenes that scare me though, just not the whole films.

11. SilentScreams

SilentScreams Member

Candyman is the only horror film that has truely scared me. It's a great film but I don't watch it often because I actually do get freaked out afterwards. I should also mention The Changeling. I watched this late one night and the voices and that wheelchair scared me.

12. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

Alien
    Blair Witch Project
    Candyman
    Audition
    The Eye

13. Nasty Nate

Nasty Nate New Member

Nothing scares me anymore but The Exorcist still freaks me out. Recent movies that have freaked me out: Audition and Haute Tension.

14. wgdavis

wgdavis Guest

I can only think of two that "scared" me:

Phantasm - I was about 15 or 16, and I set my alarm to get up at 1:30 AM to watch a 2:00 AM HBO showing. My stepdad was working the 3:00 - Midnight shift, and came home just as I was settling in to watch it, so he sat there and watched it with me, in the dark, in the middle of the night. I was a bigtime horror fan by that time, but it scared me thoroughly - especially the ending. The best part was knowing my stepdad was as scared as I was, if not more so, his taste running more to musicals and detective stories. :)

The Ring - OK, the monster was hokey, but the premise kicked butt. OK, so it is a rip off of some asian flick I have never seen, and probably never will, but it gave my wife nightmares (OK, not really that hard), and it caused me to lean forward in my seat in anticipation, and then get me to jump. Several times. Now, personally if they had ended the movie with the little Haley Joel Osment clone saying "Help her? You weren't supposed to help her! Don't you understand? She Doesn't Sleep!" it would have been a heck of a lot more impacting. Still a frightening experience.

15. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

Poltergeist- This movie is full of fears from childhood. Tree branches scraping up against your window at night. A clown toy that comes to life. Who can forget that?:D

16. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

I'm only going on films that either still creep me out and disturb me, or creeped me out the first time I saw them within the last 5-6 years. Anything I watched when I was younger freaked me out, so they don't count :p

Suspiria
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
    Session 9
    The Woman in Black (1989)
    A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)
    Kairo
    Hour of the Wolf
    Audition
    Repulsion
    The Blair Witch Project

To clarify on The Blair Witch Project, I got to see it in the summer of '99 at a local film festival. This was onbviously a few months before all the hype began. It was billed as a documentary on the schedule, and it played in the theatre that was used for documentaries. It didn't even have the directors names attached to it. Needless to say, without knowing what it REALLY was, it scared the crap out of me, and nearly everyone in the theatre. One of the coolest experiences I've ever had....they should have marketed it as a documentary instead of a horror film, because I think that totally ruined it for a lot of people.

17. slinker

slinker Un-Holy Force.

Definately The Blair Witch Project and Prince of Darkness creeped me out in fact the BWP is probably the ONLY movie that has ever sent a shiver up my spine in the cinema. I know it sounds silly but The Wicker Man actually freaked me out a little bit when i watched it too, its just the thought of a whole community caught up in this weird religious sect and you being the stranger!
    Ring 2 also had a few scenes in it that i thought were very well handled and even more terrifying than the original, shame it was so incoherent!

18. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

'Bad Ronald' scared the shit outta me when I was a kid. I remember spending the better part of an afternoon going around the house, looking for eyeholes in the walls.

19. dwatts

dwatts New Member

-- its just the thought of a whole community caught up in this weird religious sect and you being the stranger!--

Shit man, you'd better stay well away from Texas ;)

20. Slow

Slow Guest

i really hope that wasn't a spoiler.. i've heard this film has a great end to it.. almost on par with psycho's ending..