Your take on a remake

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Dave

Dave Pimp

There have been lots of threads on specific remakes (NOTLD, Dawn, etc.), but I don't recall any on just plain remakes in general. Everyone usually voices their complaints in the movie-specific threads. So lets get everything out and into the open with one thread.

What is your take on a remake?

Mine has sort of flopped around a bit. On the one hand, I really enjoyed the NOTLD '90 remake. It was great, IMO. What turned me off to remakes years ago was the Psycho remake. How they stressed just reshooting the damn movie shot for shot drove me insane. Why bother? If you're going to do a remake, at least put some new spins into it! I don't want to see the exact same movie X amount of years later.

So, yes, I think remakes can be okay as long as they change them around a bit. TCM remake was okay. NOTLD 90 was good too. Dawn looks promising.

Now, would I rather see Hollywood come up with some more original horror movies (e.g. Dagon and Cemetery Man)? Sure! But, this is Hollywood we are talking about here.

Discuss....

2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Each film must be judged on its merits. A remake must be judged on whether it is a good film or not, and not whether it is better, or worse, than the original.

There are countless examples of both good and bad remakes. Enough that we can surely say that it's not the CONCEPT of a remake that is bad - just the execution, sometimes. Remakes are not any worse, on average, than any other film. plenty of "original" content is shite too.

Which brings me on to another point - there are no original ideas coming out Hollywood, period. It's the same old same old, updated, redone. Less than 1% of films are truly "original" as far as I can make out. We should stop pretending that if filmakers weren't doing a remake, they'd be making something "original". They wouldn't. It's either more, or less, derivative.

In other words, watch the films to see if they hold up or not. Frankly, people are not consistent at all. They hate remakes, but they don't mind a comic book take on the Alien franchise. They want the directors vision and OAR, but they want a remix to 5.1 as well.

Is an original film was truly great, truly original, then I'd say it's a BETTER candidate for a remake. Let's at least duplicate the good ideas, before we get a Giglo II.

3. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

I can deal with remakes in moderation, but now everytime I read about a new one getting the greenlight it annoys the hell out of me. There have been some great remakes, Dawn of the Dead could be pretty good, and the Ladykillers will be excellent based on the Coen factor, but its getting to the point where in a few years 1 out of every 5 movies coming out will be remakes (if its not that bad already). So I guess remakes don't really bother me, just the number of them being made now...its kinda ridiculous.

4. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

It depends on what is being remade. I can't just say for remakes in general, because it all depends on what it is a remake of.

I don't have a problem with them being done, but I will admit alot of times I don't feel what is being remade needs to be remade.

I don't mind new spins on things in either, and like you said, I actually like it, as long as they don't stray too far from the original story.

5. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

There are just too many these days. I hate it when people don't even realize certain films are remakes...like "Walking Tall" for example. I do love some of them, and look forward to the remakes of "Dawn" and "The Warriors"...but did we really need another "Freaky Friday"?

6. Revoltor

Revoltor Guest

The "new spins" are what make people angry (i.e. TCM)

I personally don't care. Some work, some don't. They're all made for their own special reasons. Wheter it's out of trendiness or outright artistic endeavor they should all be fairly judged.

Not everyone has seen the originals. For some the remake is their first exposure to it. Why should the knowledge of it being a remake sour their experience?

7. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I have absolutely no problem with remakes, and I judge them on their own merits. I'm not the type who has to compare the remake to the original. Some remakes are much better tghan the originals as well, and even if a remake sucks, it can coexist with the original, as it does nothing to hurt it.

8. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

A remake is enjoyable when it adds twists and turns to the original premise (i.e. NOTLD 1990) and gives you a reason to want to see it. An example of a bad remake is Psycho 1998, because it establishes nothing extra in terms of plot and makes no attempt whatsoever to try and outdo the original. Grant it, a remake can be bad when it tries to be better than the original, but a lot of the time (ala The Thing) it works. I think the Dawn of the Dead remake is going to be successful in that area because it has changed the plot around and even added new material to the script, giving it's audience a reason to see it.

Straying from the original plot and putting new spins into the story are what remakes are all about. Who wants to see a carbon copy of the original?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2004
  9. Mattster

Mattster Guest

Whether or not a movie is a remake doesn't really factor into my opinion of it. The movie itself is what I judge. For example... I saw The Ring before I saw Ringu. I loved The Ring and hated Ringu.

10. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I completely agree. I still don't understand the people who say a bad remake will tarnish their opinion of a great original. The only problem I have with remakes is that they promote a lack of creativity, but since that problem extends far beyond remaking films, I don't see it as a reason to dislike them for it.

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Boo Hiss remakes.

There are a few exceptions, that being when the original filmmaker decides they'd like to do certain things differently (Hitchcock has done this several times). But I do request that the original be preserved as well, mostly in respect for the original crew which someone like Lucas has NOT done.

The other exception is when the original was an adaptation. For example The Thing, The Fly and Willard.

It also seems to me that anything worth remaking is good enough not to be remade. E.G. the original still has enough spunk left to be re-released theatrically. Cheapier too. :D Hey, it worked for Vertigo.

But as a filmmaker, I take it personally whenever someone makes a remake because I know that I would not like someone to remake what I've done. I also agree with Terry Gilliam when he said that he would never revisit his ealier films. Because they are like height markings on the wall your parents would make on your birthdays. You don't go back and erase the mark because you wanted people to think you were a few inches taller when you were 5. I like to preserve the truth, no matter how flawed.

And yes, I do like original sound track over DTS remixes and what have you. I'm still pissed at Anchor Bay for what they did with Suspiria and I've kept my Day of the Dead DVD for the sound.

12. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

I dont care one way or the other. if it means more horror movies, bring it on! besides, I'd say a good 75+ % of remakes have proven to be okay to excellent. Some even better than the original (Fly, Thing, Cat People etc)

13. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

i used to despise remakes, but anymore, i don't care. some actually turn out decent.

14. latenite

latenite Guest

it's like a cover song or a remix... 9 times out of 10 it's not as good as the original...

i've yet to see a remake that lives up to the original... looking at the trailer for the dawn remake, you can see this may very well be a kick ass flick..... but there's no way in hell it will ever amount to the original.. i admired the way the filmmakers went about remaking TCM while changing the story, etc.... but the end product sucked

and the argument about introducing a new generation of filmgoers to classic films by remaking them is BULLSHIT. i wasn't alive in 1974, but i saw TCM and loved it, and i didn't need to see a crappy remake to tell me to go back and check out all these old films. most of the music i listen to was made before i was born. should we start a bunch of lame cover bands to teach kids about the beatles and the rolling stones? are kids that lazy these days that they need people to show them that good movies were made 30+ years ago? please...

15. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I think they should just make original movies. No more remakes - let's see some new stuff.

16. Dr_Acula

Dr_Acula Guest

It depends on how much I like the original. I thought the original TCM was perfect so I don't like the idea of a remake--the movie got enough positive word of mouth that I'm going to check it out on video, though.

DOTD I don't like as much, so the remake doesn't bother me as badly, however, if it ends up being as bad as some of the other recent horror films I will really hate it. I think this movie will be better the further they go from the original story--I agree with what Romero said on the commentary of the new AB DAWN disc...he feels like his original film is such a product of the Seventies that he doesn't see how a re-telling of it would work.

What really bothers me are the Americanized remakes of foreign hits, though even there I make exceptions...I like THE RING better than RINGU, and I saw RINGU long before anyone had even said anything about remaking it.

But the worst of all are movies based on old TV shows, video games, etc....

In general though, if I feel like the people involved are trying to make a decent movie I'm willing to give remakes a chance, though it varies with how I feel about the original films.

17. 2D4EVER

2D4EVER Guest

I find most remakes totally unnecessary. Some turn out good but more often than not they are waste of film. In some cases it is the exact same movie with the exact same dialogue and scenes. I'm looking at your gerbil face, Tom Cruise.

It's a pretty bad time for movies when remakes start filming about a year after the original was released.

18. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I used to hate a remake cuz who wants to see an updated, not as good as the original movie when there are other original movies to see. But now with all these remakes hitting the theaters at once (and actually coming accross as half way decent) I care less and less though I'd rather catch a good original movie instead.

19. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

I'm curious to these comments on originality/lack of ideas concerning remakes. Nothing is original, there will always be some kind of similar theme or aspect that has been done before. I'm sure you can think of the most original movie in the world, and it will still have some influences/ideas/themes etc that have been done before in one way or another.

For example, Tetsuo the Ironman. Seems pretty crazy and original huh? Well there are -loads- of connections to the man/machine interface themes from artwork, specifically the Dada movement.
    Sorry :) I just find it curious people are angry at the lack of originality, when it isnt really original in the first place..rant mode off

20. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I came into this thread kinda late, but my opinions are like most of those in this thread. What it comes down to for me is whether the film on its own is good or not.