Your take on a remake

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

Normally I can't stand remakes. I think they rely on cashing in on the name of the original but there are some good remakes out there. NOTLD remake was almost as good as the original, the Blob remake was better than the original, and the Invasion of the Body Snatcher remakes were both good. I think it does depend on the original and the how good the remake is. I think some movie may need to be remade but for the most part my reaction is "Can't they come up with an original idea?" The one that really bugs me are the rumors I heard about the plans to remake Black Christmas, to me the great slasher film ever made. There is no way it can be as good as the first and I cringe to think who will be in it.

2. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Many praise the NOTLD remake, yet say others were just cashing in on the original's name. I find this amusing because the sole purpose of the NOTLD remake was so the original creators could make a buck off the name.

3. Ash

Ash New Member

There are too many damn remakes nowadays. Hollywood has seriously run out of ideas. It annoys me to no end. Dawn of the Dead IMO did not need a remake. I can appreciate re-makes if they are done by the original director or people involved. I want fresh new horror movies. Other than that remakes do not contribute anything to the horror genre. The horror genre today is oversaturated with too much crap.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2004

4. I disagree...Hollywood is finally coming clean about remakes and keeping the same title. Most film made in the last 30 years have been remakes of older stories, the only difference is that they've stopping using terms like 'inspired by *insert film name*' or 'a homage to *insert film name*'.

5. Upcoming Remakes -

2001 Maniacs
    A Tale of Two Sisters
    Altered States - Why ?
    The Amityville Horror - Why ?
    Baron Blood - Why ?
    Black Christmas - OMG NO !
    Black Sabbath - Why ?
    Bride of Frankwenstein - Why ?
    The Changeling - Why ?
    The Crazies
    Cure
    Dark Water
    Dead of Night ( deathdream ) - Why ?
    Don't be Afraid of the Dark
    Don't Look Up
    Evil Words
    The Eye - Why ?
    The Fly - Why ?
    The Grudge
    The Hills Have Eyes - Why ? , Only if Wes Craven Directs
    House of Wax
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers - OMG Not Again , the first two films where classics but why agian .
    The Invicable
    It's Alive - No !
    Mute Witness - Why , Was'nt this film made like in 1995 .
    Pet Sematary - Again Why , This Film Was Just Made in 1989 .
    Phone
    Prom Night - Why ?
    The Reincarnation of Peter Proud
    Scanners - OMG No !
    The Sentinel - Why ?
    Suspiria - OMG No , No , No !!!!!
    The Toolbox Murders - Why ?
    Turn
    The Wicker Man - OMG No !

Hollywood is going to ruin these classics , Hollywood - STOP ! :mad:

6. How many of those are announced and how many have actually been greenlit?

7. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I think a lot of those are rumors. There can't possibly be that many remakes coming out all at once like that.

8. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

The director of Haute Tension will be helming the Hills Have Eyes remake, and I think Craven has some major involvement in it, so I'm actually looking forward to that one.

9. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

I try my best to judge a remake on it's own merit but every now and then, depending on the film, I find myself comparing parts of the film to the original. In most cases studios remake films for quick cash, especially with horror. I don't know how many directors go into a remake with a real love for the original and an expressed goal of making a better film. That said, I have enjoyed some remakes as much as the original. TCM, Ring, Evil Dead 2, NOTLD 90 and The Blob 88 to name a few.

10. Luna

Luna Guest

Whatever happened to the Don't Be Afraid of the Dark remake? Anyone know?

I didn't do a search before asking, so don't hurt me.

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I think the only real problem I have with remakes now is that it's "been there done that" time 10. Dawn of the Dead remake was very boring, as everyone says the pre-credit stuff IS killer, but it all drops off into a flatline. Why? Because it turned from a zombie film into a remake.

It just seems forced to try and make connections, "Oh, that's right the rest of the film needs to take place in a mall now." Why? They make absolultly no use of all the mall. By doing a remake you're limiting the film makers even more then normal. They can't explore because they're tied down to what the original did. It doesn't come from the artist's soul. It may sound odd, but I'll give Plan 9 much more credit then any remake because it was born and bred entirely in one man's mind.

Whenever you get director for hire doing a film it's just not going to be the same as a project someone breathed life into from the start. That's the real problem with remakes, a Producer flips out his rolladex on properties the have remake rights on then play jigsaw with directors who balls they've roped untill they form some semblence of a shape and then ship it out for all the world to see.

You have to ask yourself why it's even called a remake, it's not like the original's title will have THAT big of an influence on the draw and anyone familiar enough with the title will also know the remake's not like the original at all.

Resources would be much better spent re-releasing the originals in theaters and it's a hell of a lot cheapier. I'd rather see a total remastering and widespread re-release of a film that earned it's namesake then the peanut butter & jelly sandwhich of a movie some bubble gum popper's rolled out just 5 minutes ago. It'd also help to build respect of movie goers to true film. Most people can't even imagine going past 1990's for a good film to see. This is a terrible disownership of humanity's creative efforts, and it may snowball to people not even caring about last week's features.

12. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i hope the hills have eyes remake is gonna be good but i still love the original

13. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

And it's obviously a British production, so that one doesn't really concern Hollywood.

14. DrGerbil

DrGerbil Member

15. I know some people are concerned about Black Christmas and Suspiria remakes, but I for one simply cannot see how a remake of Pet Sematary could ever be better than the original. Then again, I've always been a little off-center.

I used to hate the idea of remakes. Now, I'm not really sure why (well, House on Haunted Hill probably didn't help). I think remakes can be a good idea. So many of the films we love are more than just movies now, they've become a part of our folklore. Night of the Living Dead or the Texas Chainsaw Massacre are perfect examples. Even non-horror fans are at least aware of their existence and know a little bit about them. And it seems only logical that such stories are updated for each generation. How many of the Disney movies we watched or children's books we read are accurate representations of the source material? How many of us have heard urban legends about their town, only to hear similar stories from people from other areas? How many people are familiar with the origins of Robin Hood, King Arthur, or Buffalo Bill? Most of us are more familiar with modern, popular representations of such subject matter with only a minimal understanding of where they came from. It's only natural for us to adapt such things to fit our own fantasies and experiences, and I think that's what a lot of remakes try to do. I'm not saying this is better than telling an original story, but it's also better than letting such legends fade into obscurity. I'm sure a hell of a lot more people know who Leatherface is now than five years ago, even if their version is different from the monster that inspired the legend.

There will always be people who want to cash in on an established name, of course, and as far as I'm concerned those people can rot. But there are also people who want to retell a story out of love for the story, and this, in my opinion, is fine. I would rather have a Suspiria fan make a horribly produced, crappily acted remake than some Hollywood factory worker manufacture a polished, CGI laden, trendy version of the film. But that's just me.

16. Demon

Demon Don't Fuck With Dolly!

well updating them to this generation is to pussify them, I get so sick of everything being toned down so much its G rated......and G isn't for General.

I for one can't wait to see The Sixth Sense remake!!

17. Rampage

Rampage Guest

Remakes are like Puddin...

18. RickB

RickB New Member

Some I like,other's I don't. I think I enjoy a re-make best when it isn't EXACTLY like the original. I have to say I enjoyed the Night of the living dead remake,and I liked the remake of The Fly and I LOVED Texas chainsaw massacre 2003 just as much as the first one. Then there are stinkers like The bad seed,Carrie,Psycho and Dawn of the dead. I think we will see many more remakes over the years. Halloween and Friday the 13th are givens. A nightmare on Elm street,The Omen and The Exorcist wouldn't surprise me either. Amityville horror can ONLY be better,can't get much worse.