Your Top 4 Horror "Kings"

Discussion in 'General' started by old-boo-radley, Oct 24, 2005.

1. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

If you could pick your 4 favorite horror "kings", who would they be? For me, it'd take about 4-5 quality movies (even 3 classics and a couple good watches) to get this status, maybe more for an actor to qualify. To me, my favorites would be (in no order):

1. Vincent Price

Uhhhh, I don't even really have to explain this one. From Tales of Terror to The Abominable Dr. Phibes, this man is THE horror actor.

2. Lucio Fulci

Zombie, City of the Living Dead, The Beyond, Lizard in a Woman's Skin, House By the Cemetery. Plus another few acceptable films, I would put Fulci right up there.

3. Dario Argento

Suspiria, Tenebre, Sleepless, Deep Red are all quality watches. His role in producing Demons and Demons 2 also helps. And, I've not yet seen Cat O'Nine Tails (although I do have it), Bird With the Crystal Plumage, Phenomena, etc... which come with pretty high praise, I think it's safe to put him on my list.

4. Wes Craven

Hills Have Eyes, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Scream. I've also enjoyed People Under the Stairs, Serpent and the Rainbow, Scream 2 and Hills Have Eyes II (it's just cheesy great...) and New Nightmare is no slouch either. I loved Night Train Murders and it supposedly basically rips of Last House On the Left to even plot occurances, so chances are I'll like it as well. But, who knows for sure. I believe he even wrote NOES 3, which is another solid movie.

-----

Big props would also go to John Carpenter (because of his work in writing and composing, he could easily be a 5th choice), Terence Fisher and even James Whale (even if he didn't do many movies). I've not seen any Mario Bava, so I can't comment on him. George Romero could easily be argued for. Stephen King, seeing as so many great movies came from King's original ideas, I'd probably put him up there even if he didn't directly do some of the films.

2. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

1. David Cronenberg
    2. Dario Argento
    3. Lucio Fulci
    4. George Romero

I would have put Vincent Price at number one, but I feel uncomfortable mixing actors and directors. :(

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2007
  3. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

1. Vincent the venerable
    2. John Carpenter
    3. Robert Englund
    4. Stephen King

4. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Dario Argento

While he is often criticized for having non-sensical stories, I think this is often unfair. He's a master of the art of the cinema along with being a genre director, and he has assembled teams that have produced stunning bits of film. He has also stuck with it over the years. Yes, he's faltered at times, esepcially when he compromised his ideals in order to attain more acceptability in the larger US market. On the other hand, it's good that he tried, if he hadn't, we'd always have wondered how things would have worked out.

David Cronenberg: I simply cannot think of another Director who has been so true to his core beliefs throughout his career. And he's done it with things feeling like pure repetition. His pairing with Howard Shore is also a delight, bringing out the best in each other with each film. He doesn't only work on his material either, even to the extent of willingly taking on "unfilmable" works such as Naked Lunch and Crash. His work is always a joy to watch.

Lucio Fulci

Lucio was a nut. Given the diversity of his filmography it's pretty obvious that he fell into horror not out of choice, but because at the time it weas the thing to do. And he hung on for as long as he could to the genre that paid the bills. Often his work was slipshod, lazy, and plain stupid. Never one to let logic or even cinematic convention get in the way of things, he simply marched on making things more and more daft. This thing is though, it's all fun. When he was over the top, he was over the top + 1. I can't imagine horror without him.

Peter Cushing

I wanted to throw one actor in here, and I chose Cushing (might have chosen Chris Lee otherwise). Cushing was always Cushing, without ever compromising the character he was playing. He slummed it once or twice, but such is his strength of character, even his low points look and feel like good performances. Even outside of out-and-out horror, such as in Flesh and Fiend and Hound of the Baskervilles, he's just fun to watch. He played the whole gamut of characters, from doctors to stop owners, to rapists. It was quite a ride, and Cushing for me personifies both great horror moments and the craft of performance.

There is good and bad in everyone of course, and we could all name more than four. I just wanted to drop a note about Vincent Price. When I was growing up the big three were Cushing, Lee and Price. Lugosi, Karloff and Chaney Jr. were the stars of the bigone era.

Today, I still enjoy the performances of Price. However, he's my least favorite of those three because he never really seemed interested in being truly horrifying. He was way too camp, and he lacked the necessary menace most of the time. He had that wodnerful voice, and was in some great movies. I'm certainly not writing him off. However, in the grand scheme of things, he's slipped some ranks for me.

5. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

David Cronenberg
    John Carpenter
    David Lynch
    Jamie Lee Curtis

Cronenberg and Lynch because they are the "thinking men" of horror. Always enjoy their take on the genre. Carpenter for keeping the scares solid (most of the time).
    Jamie hasn't done as many as Price and all the others, but she's in one of my all time favorite slashers so, sue me ;)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2005
  6. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

For actors it would be
    1. Vincent Price
    2. Peter Cushing
    3. Christopher Lee
    4. John Carradine

7. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

1- David Cronenberg
    Without a doubt, the director of my favorite films in any genre let alone horror. Also, his appearances in films such as Nightbreed and Jason X are well acted. Truly a pioneer in modern film.
    2- Dario Argento and Mario Bava
    Pesonally, Argento is probably my favorite horror director. His pictures just move so well and the scores are downright hypnotic. He's also had an extremely long lasting career already and doesn't look to be slowing down one bit. His choice of crew is also great and he's helped many to make their way in film.
    Bava's craftsmanship and style has influenced numerous horror directors including many of my favorites such as Argento, Soavi, Lamberto Bava (kinda goes without saying) and even Gullermo Del Toro. With this much impact on the genre it would be pretty damn harsh to include Argento without him.

3- Bruce Campbell
    It's fuckin' Bruce Campbell man. What else needs to be said about him.
    4- Clive Barker
    Attacking all forms of media-type with his wild imagination and taking us all on miraculous journeys to, through, and from the unknown depths of his soul. Hopefully he'll return to cinema much sooner than later, but we still have him on paper and he's a must-have on my list.

Close runner-ups would include Lucio Fulci, Christopher Lee, Pter Cushing, Stuart Gordon, Wes Craven, Lloyd Kaufman, Guillermo Del Toro, John Carpenter, Robert Englund, Don Coscarelli, and Jeffrey Combs.

8. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

1.Takashi Miike: Pumps out alot of films, and almost all are of high quality
    2.David Cronenberg: I have loved all of his work
    3.John Carpenter: Made the only film to ever frighten me, Halloween
    4.Jamie Lee Curtis: THE Scream Queen

9. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

1.) Edgar Allan Poe
    2.) Vincent Price
    3.) Bela Lugosi
    4.) Boris Karloff

10. 4Gotten1

4Gotten1 Guest

1. George A. Romero
    2. Lucio Fulci
    3. John Carpenter
    4. Dario Argento

Just a side note, a top four list is simply not enough to cover both filmmakers, writers, actors, ect -- so I stuck with my top four favorite filmmakers. Otherwise I'd have to mention David Cronenberg, Mario Bava, Stephen King, H.P. Lovecraft, Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Vincent Price (my newest favorite horror actor!), and so on....But since it's just the top four -- I won't mention those. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2005
  11. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Actors

1.Peter Cushing
    2.Boris Karlof
    3.Vincent Price
    4.Christopher Lee
    5.Bela Lugosi

Directors

1.Dario Argento
    2.John Carpenter
    3.George A. Romero
    4.Lucio Fulci
    5.Bob Clark/David Cronenberg

Hey Dwatts I'm not sure if you have seen Witchfinder General but if you want to see Vincent Price in a good non campy role. That's a good one to check out.

Honourable mentions go to James Whale, Val Lewton (Producer), Tod Browning, Wes Craven, Mario Bava, Roger Corman, Terence Fisher.

12. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

Argento - A master of cinema, his films are works of art that belong in an art museum!
    Romero - Created the best horror film of all time (Dawn) and has a filmography full of top quality films (Night, Day, Martin, Creepshow, Crazies, Bruiser, Knightriders, Monkey Shines etc..)
    Cushing - Brought a certain level of quality to even a bad horror film. No one played Frankenstein or Van Helsing better than him.
    Savini - From creating some of the best gore effects to acting in some of the best horrors films.

I tried to mix it up by only including 2 directors otherwise Cronenberg would have been on the list for sure.

13. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--Hey Dwatts I'm not sure if you have seen Witchfinder General but if you want to see Vincent Price in a good non campy role.--

Yes, I have got that one. It is indeed a fine performance. As I understand it, it was specifically because the Director, Reeves, made him play against type - that he got the performance we admire. Unlike someone like Cushing, I think perhaps Price was a little too content (and Directors were intent) on letting him play the same persona over and over. Again, not saying he was bad - he's essential. I just was never really scared by the guy......

14. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I'm going to list directors only:

- John Carpenter

- George A. Romero

- David Cronenberg

- Dario Argento

15. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Out of Actors, Directors, and Literary:

H.P. Lovecraft
    Edgar Allen Poe