Your top horror film of the 21st Century.

Discussion in 'General' started by buck135, Aug 31, 2016.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Kairo/Pulse did it better. Suicide Circle was okay, but even among J-horror I wouldn't call it #1, nevermind worldwide. But hey, it's all subjective. :)

2. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Yeah, but think about what they were both trying to say. The internet is what some people try to use as a cure for loneliness, so ghosts decide to take it over as a transport for their overstorage of souls? How is that a hard truth to face? People always used to consider the internet a place for sad people. Until it became something you carried around in your purse and permanently glued to your hand. Pulse should have waited until a few years ago when the internet being practically attached to our bodies was new. Music has always been everywhere we are. Since The Beatles. Since Elvis. It defined our whole world.

See what I mean?

And in Suicide Club, there was someone behind it. The story could be compared to any man-made disaster / thing that kills people readily in our society. And, of course, the scenes of people dying were much more confrontational. Were they silly? Only when it matched the tone of the songs.

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Hey, it's your thread, police it however you like.

I just think that if we're making top 5 or top 10 (or in Morally Sound's case, around top 60) horror films of the new millennium, it's rather pedestrian. It's something we've all discussed multiple times, and I'd certainly expect a lot of overlap among peoples' lists. But if one has to limit it to ONE film, and one film only, it requires a serious commitment, to choose that one film over all others. Might even generate some controversy (the recent posts today are certainly proof of it). Like, some people here have included the Black Christmas remake on their lists. Fine. But if that same person said it was THE best horror film made since 2000, that would raise some eyebrows. And maybe lead to interesting discussion.

Also, it requires one to define just what makes a film "the best". Personally, I think we have to overlook a lot in our favorite genre; mediocre acting, questionable character actions, absurd plots. Many times we can look past those things to enjoy a film, sometimes even appreciate them. Now, if a film is entertaining, doesn't that by definition make it "good"? Hard to say (and a friend of mine and I have this argument frequently). To me though, when I look for "the best" in a film (especially a genre film like horror), I look for something that transcends the genre and could stand on it's own among standard award-winning films and critics' picks. Something that is not merely entertaining, but deep, thoughtful, well-constructed, technically brilliant, etc. Not everyone has that standard, and that's what makes for great discussion on movie message boards like this one. But that to me is why I see A Tale of Two Sisters as the best horror film of the 21st century (so far). It's not just a good horror movie, it's a good movie period. The fact that it's a horror film is just a bonus to me.

So whatever. List 10 films if ya want, or one. I just think that one option makes for better discussion. But like I said, it's not my thread, y'all do what ya wanna do.

Hatchetwarrior and DVD-fanatic-9 like this.
  4. DVD-fanatic-9

I still stand exactly where I did before on A Tale of Two Sisters: because they decided to make half of it a mystery about which family member killed the sister and therefore, who should feel guilty about it and who is allowed to give the other family members hell for destroying the family, they seriously undermined everything powerful about the grieving process for the parents and everything else the other sister was going through. There was misery to go around, and that was interesting, but the ghost stuff was kind of revenge against who killed the sister and why. But that impacts our ability to feel for the character we eventually find out killed the sister. Suddenly that person is kind of a bastard for turning their guilt into blame against the other family members.

That's manipulative and genuinely offensive to people who struggle with serious mental health issues, not to mention familial loss- which is devastating. The movie threw all that away to play "sly movie ghost mystery." Not a priority worth sending vulnerable people through the emotional wringer. They didn't take that seriously.

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I don't think what a film is trying to say is necessarily pertinent when discussing scare factor. Kairo's ghosts were spookier to me than a kid group causing people to die. That's just how I roll.

6. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

The initial idea was to get people's perspective on which one film they'd select as the best over the past 16 years. I felt I had to mention The Ring as a close second because of the reasons I listed. Sometimes threads get off track, but I'm happy just to see the discussions the members are having.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  7. DVD-fanatic-9

True. I can agree with you there. But you can't rely on a horror film being scary. You can however rely on a horror film being tense. If that's what it wants to do. Pulse wasn't tense. It was tranquil, if anything. Suicide Club was like an inescapable paranoid nightmare constantly using its themes to reinforce its message. And they are perfectly opposite films- Pulse clears the crowds, Suicide Club tends to draw them in.

And Pulse only showed one side of the whole tragedy / issue it was talking about. All you saw was people acting sad. 2 flipping hours of "I'm sad, what if this is it?" Yeah, what if that was it? What if The Exorcist was just the hallway between Chris and Regan's bedrooms and you just saw priests and shrinks reacting to just coming out of Regan's room, looking horrified? What if the Halloween movies were just ambulances driving to each location Michael Myers killed someone at? What if House/Hausu was just pov from Mac's floating severed head?

Suicide Club shows us what's going on from multiple angles, making it easier to understand the emotions the characters are going through while also experiencing actual tension (especially the bowling alley scene where I literally leapt in my chair, and after the scene made me angry too- which usually dulls my other senses). In Pulse, all of the computer ghost footage is broken up by static. If you live in static, that might have some kind of impact.

I've seen Pulse twice and the only memorable thing about the ghosts is that they stood against walls and called people to say "Help me." Keeping perfectly in-tune with the rest of the "woe is me" film. Woe, indeed. Not much horror in that. Pulse seems like it would be great if it was told from the ghosts' perspective.

8. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Honestly not sure what would be #1 for me. There's been so many I've loved that's it hard to pick just one.

9. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I have to go with It Follows for the number #1.

Lots of great stuff mentioned here too, especially Wendigo and Ginger Snaps.

10. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

These 2 are my exact favorites as well. The Mist is in my top list.

fattyjoe37 likes this.