You're Next (2013)

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by baggio, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Fall Break

Fall Break Member

I went to the 10pm showing on Thursday and everyone was laughing. Everything in the kitchen was funny. The oil the blender and explaining what happened with the blender great stuff. It was much better then I ever expected.

2. DVDBone

DVDBone Member

I caught this last night at a 10:30 showing and thought it was AMAZING. I don't recall any recent trip to the theater where I left feeling so satisfied and excited about modern horror films. The script was smart, the characters were likable, the killings were fantastic, and most of all it was so much fun. I can't give this any higher recommendation. 10/10 ... A+. (And this comes from a guy who finds faults in everything). See this movie!!!!

3. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

The whole audience was seriously cheering at the blender gag.
    I need to see this again, I loved it

4. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

10/10 for me, seriously it was that good. the audience I saw it with loved the FUCK out of it too, I've never heard such an amazing response to a horror film in my life, people were clapping, cheering and saying such great things about it as we were walking out of the theater. screw evil dead 2013, you're next is THE best horror film of the year.

5. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Caught this at an afternoon matinee today. I enjoyed it and can easily recommend it, it's definitely an above average home invasion thriller but not without it's problems. While the premise is nothing new, it does take it's characters and their actions to new and exciting territories, but the motives overall were a little too predictable and cliched. I enjoy how Wingard and Barrett keep casting their previous casts and friends in their films, including many other indie horror directors (Ti West, Larry Fesseden) and You're Next is definitely a fun time. It's easily Wingard's best so far, but far from perfect.

6. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Member

I am stoked to see this. There has not been this much praise for a recent horror film anytime that I can remember. I keep waiting for somebody to come on here and say, "not sure what all the hype is about, I thought it was lame/contrived/predictable/insert negative word here". I am sure somebody will eventually dislike it (obviously no movie can satisfy every horror fan). I don't want it to be a letdown after all the praise, but man it is exciting to hear so many varied people on here so far all digging it. Good times in the horror world! :)

7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I have a close friend who absolutely, positively despised it. Basically said it was badly directed and badly acted, and that everytime something interesting happened it did the usual "shake the camera so everybody will know it is exciting because they won't be able to see what is happening" schtick. I don't always agree with him over everything (Cabin in the Woods being one example) but I do agree with him that the modern overuse of handheld camera work needs to stop.

I'll look for it on Netflix.

8. Fall Break

Fall Break Member

I really never noticed one part like that and normally shaky cam pisses me off. So either I like it so much my brain ignored it or it wasn't very noticeable or your buddy is full of himself.
    Will reserve concluding my opinion till I see it again.

9. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

The shaky cam really isn't used that much..
    You should try seeing it yourself, I think you might like it!

10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

There is definitely shaky cam, but I didn't find it distracting in this case. You'll definitely notice it, but I didn't think it was as frequent as a lot of modern horror.

I will say there was one scene where the shaky cam actually worked in the film's favor. Won't spoil who, but there's a scene where a dead body is shown in a dark room and the camera is shaking so you don't really get a good look at it. I normally hate shaky cam, but I found it much more effective than if they had just shown the dead body.

11. deepred

deepred Member

I saw this over the weekend and really enjoyed it. It certainly didn't reinvent the wheel but it didn't need to - it was a well done home invasion horror thriller that was well-paced, tense and even offered a couple of surprises. It certainly felt in the spirit of an '80s slasher imo and it was fun seeing Barbara Crampton again.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  12. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

This sounds like it could be good - can't wait to check it out once it releases on blu

13. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

I thought it was ok...I'm tired of chics kicken ass in these types of films though...I wish they would go back to the old days when they were all naked and easy prey.