You're Next

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Aug 2, 2013.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

You're Next (2011) (released 2013)​

Directed by Adam Wingard​

7/10

[​IMG]
    This film that was apparently made in 2011 but will not see regular release till about a month from now has been a festival darling. It's easy to see why because it is a lot of fun. The set up is not all that original as we see the Davison family coming under attack during their wedding anniversary getaway, the gang of mysterious killers soon learns that one of victims harbors a secret talent for fighting back. The film tries to take slashers into a realistic setting and manages to for a good deal of the film. A couple of characters are playing it too over t he top from the get go but the rest of the cast do well enough. It reminds me in some ways of the 2008 film The Strangers but it plays out remarkably different and is much better. In the end you have a familiar but fun slasheresque film that may be the best of its kind in recent decades.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  2. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Member

I am looking forward to checking this out. Seems to have a strangers/Them(Ils) vibe to it.

3. deepred

deepred Member

I wanna see this one too. It looks fun.

4. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

That's high praise for only a 7/10. I really enjoyed it myself. I would grade it closer to an 8.

5. thing

thing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  6. thing

thing Well-Known Member

7/10 is a pretty high grade, gotta leave room up the scale for better film. This is good but no masterpiece.

7. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Your image kind of died. The link.

8. Franco

Franco Weekender

73% in RottenTomatoes (123 reviews)? There's a chance it's a bit good at least, no?

9. thing

thing Well-Known Member

fixed the OP

10. DVD-fanatic-9

:cool:

When I blasted this movie because of its trailer, I was assuming it was a straight-forward "thriller" horror film... Maybe I have to give it a chance after all.

11. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I had a blast in the cinema watching it

12. DVD-fanatic-9

That would be essential for me. The Strangers is unrealistic to the point of being a joke anyway. Yet, I have a feeling the makers were taking it pretty seriously.

13. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Yeah it is very different from Strangers once it gets going and has a real sense of fun.

14. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

Maybe it is just me but I really don't get all the hype surrounding this film because I thought it was just ok. If anything this is Adam Wingard's best film to date, but that is not saying too much. Homesick was barely watchable and cringe worthy throughout, A Horrible Way To Die was descent but had an incredibly absurd ending, and his contributing segments to V/H/S, V/H/S/2, and The ABC's Of Death left a lot to be desired. As far as You're Next goes, it is a step in the right direction but I'm still not sold on his abilities as a director. There is a lot of really good gore, the masks worn by the killers are very creepy and the twist ending was well done. But what really baffles me is whether or not the film was suppose to be scary or darkly funny. Considering how over the top and "Home Alone" esque the kills were conflicts with the very serious tone of the film as a whole. Also there were a number of scenes that just drove me nuts with the level of stupidity invloved from a writing stand point.
    Why the Hell did they use those chairs in order to walk past the window to avoid getting speared with an arrow when they each could have crawled on the ground to 100% avoid danger?
    Why didn't anyone think it was suspicious that the youngest son knew within 10 seconds of their phones not working that someone was blocking the signal using "illegal signal blocking" equipment?
    And the one moment that made me laugh out loud: When Felix suggests that they go into the basement for safety and the Aussie chicks a mediate response to that is "no, they could easily dump gasoline on the steps and light a match!" that line almost killed me. Any rational person's response to that would be no because you can easily be trapped and killed.

Overall I thought You're Next was mediocre. (6/10)

15. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I found the mix of splattery horror,genuine suspense and black comedy to be rather fun.Saw it in the theater where it got a nice reaction.The leading lady is starring in the remake of PATRICK.

16. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    So many great points and I felt the same way. Nonetheless, I enjoyed it for what it was. No classic, but entertaining!

17. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Agree with both of you. I thought it was just okay, but not worth all of the hype. I've heard people describe it as a horror comedy, but I didn't find it funny at all, other then the dumb decisions. And the acting was awful! Not a fan of all these young Directors starring in each other's films. That being said, it had some fun ideas and some decent kills, and the masks were definitely cool.

18. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I was totally unaware that this film had any hype, until recently. I saw a trailer for it (maybe in front of Evil Dead? or something else...), and having never heard of it before, thought that it didn't look like anything remotely special. Where did the hype come from? Did it make a big splash playing film festivals or something? Was it kept from release like Mandy Lane? I still haven't actually witnessed any of this hype. Only people referencing the hype. It's kind of odd.

19. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Not to the same extent, but yes, it had been on the shelf for a couple years.

20. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Seemed like everyone was talking about this film leading up to its release, a lot of buzz over a couple of years of one off festival and convention screenings. I saw it at a film festival, fun stuff.