You're Next

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I didn't hate it, but didn't see anything special about it either. For me, the "hype" was at a Comic-Con panel I attended. The theme of the panel was horror talk on the internet (obviously something I'd be interested in), panelists were moderators and webmasters from various horror sites, and Wingard. They all had attended a preview of You're Next the night before, so all the panelists basically fellated Wingard for the duration of the talk.

So I was expecting something different, and all I got was another home invasion story along the lines of Straw Dogs, Fight For Your Life, or the House on the Edge of the Park.

2. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

It was number one, if not at least very high up on a lot of people's top 10 horror films of 2013.

3. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Effective film--some of the violence made me cringe--but undermined by its performances. Even the guys in masks overacted: the "head-tilt" to show a character is crazy is one of the most overdone tics. The siblings were caricatures, going from "1" to "all the way to 11" on the emotional scale without anything in-between.

Yet, the gore was there; the thrills were there, and I wanted to know which characters, if any, would make it out alive.

4. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Did not hold up so well on a 2nd viewing, down to a 5.5 or 6/10