yourmoviesucks.org presents "Best Underrated Horror Films"

Discussion in 'General' started by Hatchetwarrior, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

For those not in the know, Your Movie Sucks is some dude who makes hysterical videos bashing terrible movies Ala Mr. Plinkett or Nostalgia Critic. But, for this particular video, he sheds light on some of the more over looked films in the genre. A damn good list I must say, and if you like this check out his other critiques, they're fucking hysterical!

Click here for the video

2. JeffCostello

JeffCostello Member

Thanks, I really enjoyed that guy's reviews although I've seen most of the films.

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

They Live. American Psycho. I'm surprised Saw isn't on there.

4. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Nah I wasn't a fan of this. It sounds like he enjoys putting down the genre more then praising it and is almost apologetic on the films he does like.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  5. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I agree. This guy is a douchebag.

6. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I only agreed with May and American Psycho. The rest of his list was interesting at best, but not credible. They Live, if fans want the film to be able to carry its' praise, need to keep it in the sci-fi and action genres. As a horror film, it's not scary. Even considering the socio-political content. (Which I agree with, though I think they again didn't communicate it in a scary way.) Slamming Republicans = 50% of your work is done. :cool:

However, I spent about 3 hours after I clicked on that link watching this guy's reviews. I was considering going into video reviews myself (with clips, audio from the movie, music, pics, etc) and... this guy is the guy to beat in terms of quality, detail, etc. Watching him trash a POS movie is just as theraputic as TGwtG's Phelous- who truly eviscerated A Serbian Film, Quarantine, Dead Snow, Funny Games, Hostel: Part II, Midnight Meat Train, The Human Centipede's, the Wrong Turn franchise, and the remakes of My Bloody Valentine and Black Christmas. All of which deserved it.

Anyway, his video series on M. Night Sha-whatever was great considering I've only had to suffer through 3 minutes of The Sixth Sense (which he likes). So, my pain has been relatively light on that front. But, watching his clip of The Last Airbender- which he played for almost 2 solid minutes (with inserted laugh track) was mind-bending. How... could a mainstream director MAKE a film like that? With or without the laughing... I literally had to ask: what the FUCK was going on? I also really enjoyed his review of The Strangers, which now I'm so glad I didn't bother to see (the praisers of that film were pretentious enough). He has a great style to his videos, where he loves to let the filmmakers and actors hang themselves when playing promotional interview clips where they make themselves look like complete and utter fools. Best review I caught though...: Precious. See that review, asap. His Best of the Year videos though, I suggest skipping. Some people are really at their best when they do negative reviews.

7. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Agreed that he hates on it too much. The horror genre is no more predictable and bad in general than any other genre. But because of its fantastical elements, it's easier for people to gang up on them since they can call out "that wouldn't happen" scenarios. Foolishly though, considering films rooted in fantasy aren't SUPPOSED to imitate real life verbatim.

Also, I wouldn't say horror HAS to be scary. Though They Live is more sci-fi, I think that it could be barely classified as horror. Barely. But because it's not scary is not a factor.

8. DVD-fanatic-9

Good point. For me, I draw horror in 2 categories. Horror in tone and horror in style. They Live and Jaws, which of course nobody mentioned but it's my great classic example, are neither horror films in tone or style.

9. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Jaws is horror in tone. As you are always in fear of what is lerking below and tension is raised whenever anyone gets near the water. They live is more horror in concept.

10. DVD-fanatic-9

I don't do horror in concept. It's a cop out. Speed would then be horror in concept. As would any film which took place in prison. Kindergarten Cop would be a horror film in concept, and... why stop there? In tone, by your definition of it, as well. With the scenes of Cindy on the slab, the grandmother paying the dealer, the dread-inducing scene at the carnival with Joyce rushing off terrified, and Kimble going into the house finding no one in it for a good, tense 20 seconds screentime (which feel like 40, at least).

This... is why I'm extremely careful with what I call a horror film and my criteria by which I call 'em. Jaws is a drama and a thriller, make no mistake. What you've described could be attributed to any number of other thrillers. Hell, you could probably say that about the Godfather films. Any film which associates tension with a certain object, setting, or environment. Tonally, Jaws couldn't be less of a horror film. And... I have a list (of scenes that prove this): the guys on the dock trying to throw the shark bate, the father and the kid playing finger-face game at the dinner table, blah blah blah. It looks like I'm quitting but, seriously, watch other Hollywood films from the mid-70's and beyond. Except for the opening credits, the entire film is structured like a blockbuster (which is why I didn't call the film just a drama before). Again, that sounds weak but I'm serious. A true horror film does not frame the characters the same way Jaws does. The music, cinematography, etc. Spielberg has never made a horror film, he doesn't have it in him. Because of the way he makes movies. He has to mix genres. Which is likely a testament to his talent but, really, Jaws is not a horror film in tone or in style.

Anyway, Poltergeist is the best proof of what I'm talking about. Somewhere around 90% of the time, it's not a horror film in tone. But... holy shit, is it a horror film in style. And that is why I believe Tobe Hooper deserves most of the credit for that movie.

11. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Not my cup of tea. His tone of voice grates on my nerves quite a bit, and he's more of a snarky put-downer than a skilled analyst.

12. DVD-fanatic-9

13. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

There is a difference between analysis and fault finding - the former is actually much more difficult, and best displayed when used on more challenging works, where you can dissect themes, technical aspects of storytelling, role within the genre, etc., rather than merely pointing out flaws.

Of course, if you want to apply your analytical skills to more than just academic exercises, you need showmanship - and this guy definitely has 'a voice'. It's just not a voice I care for - but I can see how there would be an audience for this particular brand fo snark.

I can't rightfully claim that this guy has poor analytical skills - I just don't see myself sitting through too many of his reviews to find out.

14. DVD-fanatic-9

Now, that's a lot more fair.

I just think this guy is great at getting humor out of what he's talking about. However, I did find a review of his that I think failed on every basic level: Rec 2. Though I loved the joke about the actress in Quarantine having the exact same look on her face in every scene. He had clips of it. As in... well over a dozen. I was stunned. I guess I wish other reviewers had this skill, almost none of them do. He really questions and examines the psychology of the people who make awful films and the filmmakers expecting us to swallow the crap they shove down our throats.

Though, yeah, he should try this with other genres. Not just horror.