Zeder...

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by marcx, Aug 12, 2003.

1. marcx

marcx New Member

I watched the import DVd last night. I thought the transfer was very good, hte only thing being the darker scenes got slightly murky. Overall I was impressed wi the film and the beutifual cinematography and creepy atmosphere, but it is a low film. Anyone without patience will not appreciate it...

In some ways it remined of Dead and buried although I don't really know why....and obviously there are elements of Pet Semetary.

2. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I liked the film too and I agree on its pacing. I do think it works, though. I think that "Pet Semetary" got its idea off of "Zeder" but I could be wrong.

If you liked "Zeder" then you should check out "House with the Laughing Windows", which is also quite creepy (and a lot better, IMO).

3. marcx

marcx New Member

Yeha I have House--I enjoyed it a lot and it prompted me to get Zeder....but House is definately the better of the two for me....

4. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

I agree with both of you, House is the better film but Zeder is also quite good.

The R2 disc is much cleaner and sharper than the Image disc.

5. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

It's on my ever growing wishlist......
    Where did you buy it?
    (I live in region 2 so that's not a problem)

6. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I've wanted to see this for awhile too, but avoided the first Image US release as the quality is supposed to be shit. Is there any possibility that they might port over this version, ala HOUSE WITH THE LAUGHING WINDOWS?

7. STREET TRASH

STREET TRASH Synthicide

Is there any difference between Zeder and the alternately titled Revenge of the Dead (other than the obvious)? My version is the tape distributed by Lightning video back in the mid 80s - and I think it sucks big time.

8. Andrew

Andrew Guest

9. marcx

marcx New Member

I got my Zeder disc from xploited cinema. Sorry I have no idea about comparisons to revenge of the dead.

10. Crystal Plumage

I'd skip that one if I were you:it's full screen.
    The Italian version (with English audio option) is Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1.

11. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Alright, thanks for the info. I'll just keep waiting or eventually get a region free player.

12. Atmims

Atmims Guest

Maybe I should try to rewatch Zeder then. When I first saw it I was tired and I was expecting something with at least a little action in it. It put me to sleep to be honest and I usually have a lot of patience with movies.

13. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

Same here. I tried to watch it several times, but just kept falling asleep. Finally got rid of it.

14. Crystal Plumage

I suppose it's Avati's style.
    Laughing Windows was slow too but not boring at all and one of the better movies I've seen recently.

15. CrumpsBro

CrumpsBro Guest

Just rented this one the other night (the OOP Image release, which does look pretty crappy). The flick does take a while to get going but the last half-hour is pretty intense. Truth be told, I'd all but written the movie off about an hour in -- started paying bills and stuff while it was on -- but slowly the movie dragged me back in.

Now I'm thinking I may have to rent it again to see if maybe that middle hour isn't as uneventful as it seemed...

16. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I finally got the Image disc for $6 at a used place and finished it tonight. I wasn't amazed by it, but it was an interesting film with a few choice moments. The musical score is great and the direction is alright, but the DVD is of pretty poor quality. The audio is horribly uneven, with the dialogue low and the music very very high. The image quality is quite poor as well, but not unwatchable. Overall I'm glad I got it but also glad I didn't spend too much.

17. Crystal Plumage

Got it in the mail today (The Italian DVD for 10 Euro)
    I don't know when I'm going to watch it but I'll post my thoughts here.

18. blood vamp

blood vamp Guest

imo zeders slow deliberate pacing makes the film much creepier and heightens the horror atmosphere. the video image of the coffin was so effective. i enjoyed this almost as much as house with laughing windows.

19. Crystal Plumage

Oh,I will enjoy it but I have to be in the right mood to watch it.Been a bit tired lately.
    I guess I'll watch it tomorrow though.I'm very curious about it!:D

20. blood vamp

blood vamp Guest

avatis films are the antithesis of modern horror and for that reason i love his films.