Zoimbie Holocaust BD/DVD Combo on Sept. 28

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by blu, Jun 13, 2010.

1. blu

blu New Member

2. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Member

I dont know what to say about this.The pre order price is awesome.All these movies that were once on bootleg vhs are getting blu release's, its crazy.I wanna say "does this movie need a blu release?" I thought the dvd looks good.Can it get any better?

sean

3. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Dr. Butcher on Blu-ray! I'll be making the appointment!

4. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Ha ha. Well put.

I just rewatched Biuo Omega and stand by my original view that it does not need a Blu. I am thinking the same of this. I am happy that these films have received a great upgrade on dvd where the picture/sound quality is a large leap from VHS boots. But since I own a lot of the old school Shriek Shows from back in the day, I feel no need for double dipping. For those who are new to these titles, of course I'd recommend skipping dvd and going directly to Blu. These Ital-gore films are a must.

5. NIN

NIN Member

Do they need a DVD release at all? Isn't VHS good enough, according to you?
    I think DVD sucks. In a hometheater the resolution and crappy compression that dvd has is really bad. I would be very happy to get all my DVDs on bluray instead, with much higher quality.

6. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

Wonder what region these Shriek Show blus will be. I'm in the UK and own a region B machine. I have a multi-region DVD though and own most of the good Shriek Show titles already but would love to up-grade to Blu. Have upgraded a few of my DVDs to Blu and sold the DVDs on Ebay. A couple of times I made a profit believe it or not!!!

7. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I'm thrilled that Media Blasters have begun releasing some of their titles on blu-ray. But, come on, Zombie Holocaust is not particularly good. I would much rather have Just Before Dawn, Don't Go in the House, or What Have You Done to Solange? (if they still own that one). Heck, I'd rather have The Dark (which I love, but I'm probably one of the few die-hard fans of that one).

8. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

There's a thread over on AVManiacs about some commentary mentioning that Shriek Show has an uncut print of Just Before Dawn that they'll release if fans demand it enough. If that print is better quality than the one used for the DVD, a Blu would be fantastic.

Personally, I'd love to see Grizzly.

9. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Nah man. I thought DVD was gradually a great leap from Laserdisc, let alone vhs. I never got into LD because of the price, either. LD's were a great upgrade visually, while boasting cover art as large as vinyl LPs (which I did collect). For financial reasons I am only going for what I feel is more worth a Blu. Also take into account that some current release that are worthy of a purchase will be rereleased with improvements as well. Thinking maybe City of the Living Dead will be rereleased without that image sharpening that causes the grain. Hey, I have owned numerous versions of the same movie before, so I am not knocking it. But I think there are numerous people on this board that are of the same age and at the same point of dvd collecting as I am, where we went out and bought a large amount of dvds, and can't justify constantly spending money on the same thing when we have mortgages and even other collecting habits.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  10. Regurgitate

Regurgitate New Member

The possibility of Zombie Holocaust and Buio Omega on Blu Ray make my palms itch. Media Blasters are the anti-Criterion in my book and I will be waiting for reviews before I drop any more cash on their releases. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to use an up-scaled interlaced PAL to NTSC converted DVD master. When Media Blasters are at the helm of a cult DVD release it's like a severely retarded person with a puppy, you just pray to Allah that the thing survives.

11. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Good point. I have these two pre-ordered, but if this ends up being another situation like the 36th Chamber of the Shaolin, then I'll definitely cancel these. No upconverts or interlaced transfers for me, thank you very much.

12. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

This needs to be quoted whenever Media Blasters gets brought up at any point. Hilarious.

13. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

As crazy as this is, one of my most wanted blu ray releases! I'm so glad this is happening. Now if they would just put out Burial Ground on blu.

14. NIN

NIN Member

Not at all. Good LD transfers with a HLD-X0 looks really good and there a miles bigger difference between DVD and bluray than DVD and LD.
    COTLD will not be released again and where do you got that image sharpening stuff from? Avsforum I would say. It DESTROYS the Anchor bay DVD and if one don't see that, well, then 8 grade VHS copy is probably good enough.

15. blu

blu New Member

Amazon now lists a new street date of April 19.

I've never seen this film but after reading some comments at IMDb I have to ask the experts here, are these really zombies?

16. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Right with you man!! This is one I never purchased on DVD, so it is a no brainer for me, but like you, I only buy ones that are worth it on Blu, even if it is one I don't own on DVD, I have to read reviews and see if it is worth it, since most of the time, you can find the DVD cheap nowadays. I still buy a ton of DVDs, because I never pay more than $3 for one.