Zombi 2 (Shriek Show) DVD Review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by gorasu, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Yeah, I only gave the Italian track a little while and then switched back. There's no point in reading subs!!

2. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I just wish the dubbing wasn't so off on this film. I guess thats expected with most Italian horror films though.

3. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Actually just finished watching it dubbed and I think I need to try it with subtitles as that is the worst dubbing job. It's annoying to the point that it takes away from the film. The few times I switched it to Italian the tone of the film seems a bit more serious and the acting was allot better even if its not the actors voices. Most Italian film I have come to expect bad dubbing but gees they really screwed that up. And what's with every time a zombie gets up the girls just stand there for an hour frozen waiting to get eaten. Run you idiot. Don’t get me wrong, It’s is a fun little movie but in the extra's they kept going on about how the film is better than Dawn of the Dead. It must be along time since they have seen the film because there really is not comparison to the point that it’s kind of insulting to Romero.

4. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I don't know how many Italian films you've seen, but comparatively, the dubbing on Zombie is pretty damn good :D

Still, by the sounds of the othr things you've written, this really isn't a movie for you it seems.

5. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

Ha! What do ya expect? Its not like they will say "yeah, we tried to make the best dawn ripoff we could. we even went as far as naming this the sequel. But somehow are movie still sucks ass compared to romeros masterpiece. damn, we wish we had made dawn" :p

6. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

It's not like i don't like the film, I do like it on a certain level. I just feel put better actors in there or at least better dubbing and it would improve the film 50%. I mean dubbing doesn't bother me in Argento films he's my favorite director and i just accept it the fact that it's going to be dubbed but i never feel like it takes away from the film like this one does.

7. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I still think it's one of the better dub jobs, except it's painful to watch Fulci with the American accent. Ouch.

Personally aside from the obvious fact that there are zombies and the film was called ZOMBI 2, I don't see many similarities.

8. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Yeah, the whole Dawn comparison thing is a non-runner. The Italians wanted to make a Zombie film - and the zombie element was the extent of influences. Personally, I prefer this is Dawn.

9. stinky787

stinky787 Guest

Easter egg on SS edition

Hi, I just found this thread while researching which version of Zombi(e| 2) to get. Anyway as for the easter egg on the SS edition, apparently it lets you see the original Italian title and credits. I found it here:

http://www.dvdreview.com/eastereggs/collect/612.html

Anyway I guess i will get the SS version, after all 2 discs are better than 1. :cool:

10. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I had the SS version, but I sold it. I'm going to buy the BU version now. The extras weren't as great as I expected, so I got rid of it. I wanted the softer, sharper image of the BU from the beginning, but those extras enticed me to get the SS one, so I watched the extras and got rid of it.

11. JohnnyZombie

JohnnyZombie Guest

So BU has better transfer than SS?

12. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

The SS disc is brighter, but you lose some sharpness. The BU disc isn't as bright, but looks sharper.

13. dwatts

dwatts New Member

As lon as we note - the SS version IS sharp.

14. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

15. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

I sold my AB releas when I heard that thes were going to be released so I'm sure I will be picking up one of the two! I would like to here your suggestions (I probably won't be able to pick it up for a little while though, so I will have tim to read your suggestions)? Right now I am leaning towards the Shriek Show relese as it has better supplements. I have heard that the BU release has a little better transfer, but I'm not too picky on that. Thanks for your input!?

16. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Although I have the great Blue Underground version, I found the SS version at Best Buy in San Francisco yesterday for only $14.99. It was the only one - I'm wondering if it was mismarked since the BU ones had the same price tag. Either way - it's Fulci...so having both is just fine with me. Love this flick!

17. Morg

Morg Guest

Yeah, I did the same thing, actually closer to iit's initaial release date. I think I paid like just over a buck more for the SS, already had the BU. Man, I'm glad I ended up getting the SS, with all the extras and the poster and stuff. Felt like a kid in a candy store! :)

18. Dilmo

Dilmo Guest

I paid that much for it on their website. Great price.

19. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    :cool: Well bite my neck...there's a poster in there! How cool! (I didn't even notice until just when I was throwing the celluphane away it was listed on that round sticker).

20. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I watched this again last night. I don't know what all this talk about the SS disc being too bright are coming from. Looks perfect to me. I can't be bothered to fork out for the BU disc as well, but I've got to say, Zombie finally looks great and we should rejoice.