Zombie 2 delay info

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Jimbo, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

Looks like it will be the first quarter or next summer before we will see Zombie and several other delayed releases form Shriek show.Appt they are having some legal issues or something like that.Also they claim that they are trying to compare their prints to other companys and making sure they have plenty of exteras.

2. poorlogic

poorlogic Guest

From the Mobius euro-cult forum, in response to Shriek Show going out of business:

No No No...Sales for last year at MB are up when compared to last year already and I expect atleast a 30% - 50% growth total. The reason for Shriek to be put on a small release hiatus is for a couple reasons:
    As Bruce and Kit mentioned we are putting more time into extras with editing and making featurettes. This is taking the most time. In addition we are comapring our prints to all available versions we can find so they are as complete as possible.

But each title has a seperate reason:

1) Bronx Warriors - Got to get Fred Williamson for an interview, already have Castellari. Also got the import disc and was not happy with look so I told our guy in Italy who did the transfer for the import disc why it looks that way, was because did not go back to 2p so for our disc we are going back to 2p which is taking more time. Expect in Feb.

2) Faceless - All is done on that disc and expect it in January. We are finishing the extras featurette now. We have Franco, Roman and Munro.

3) Majorettes - Finishing the transfer from the negative, got all the extras completed but need to finsih the featurette. Also expect in January. Got Hinzman, Gergely and Russo. This is a title we now own so alot of time was spent on the transfer.

4) Slaugher Hotel - We are tying to get more interviews so far we have Dileo. Kit and Mike's next trip will put alot of time on this one. The toughest part though was getting a complete version. I am looking over our transfer today which combines footage from US, Italian and French versions. Given the adult scenes in the French version we are trying to see what to do with the extra scenes. Expect in March.

5) Virgin of Nuremberg - The transfer looks good but we have to subtitle this film into English since we can only release an Italian language English subtitled version of the film. Also we have nobody interviewed yet but want Christopher Lee. Expect in March 2003.

Check out Flesheater in December and I think you will be surprised at the time and effort spent. We are trying to go back to our Jungle Holocaust type DVD effort. It seems everyone thought that was our best. I still think our transfers have gotten better though since that release. I am looking at the Divi-Max and other technologies to re-release older titles with delux editions, re-editing extras into featurettes and such.

Almost forgot Werewolf Woman problem has finally been found at the studio and is now being transfered again.

Other reasons for delay:

Zombi 2- Spent sooooooo much time on this title and now having to go through the legal issues to finally get this one out. I hope legal issue will be solved by first quarter of next year so it can be released before summer. But we have soooooo many extras, longer than movie and transer is beautiful.

Lizard in a Woman's Skin - Spent again sooooooo much time on this title and now still not getting best materials, we have uncut (we think) version and will be best available but want better. This is becoming legal issue but I also expect will be settled by first quarter. We hired counsel for both issues.

Flesh for the Beast took alot of effort out of us and when you check out th quality of the extras and disc you will see why. It has been successful though with Walmart, Blockbuster and others picking it up. This is calming down now and getting into next productions.

Sooooo much time was spent on these three titles the last three months and delayed others.

Lets not mention that Guilty Pleasures is now getting more extras and more time for featurettes and transfers which is starting to take alot of time also. We are expaning our Production Department end of this year to handle more projects.

As for Cash Flow, no problems, yes anime is still our cash cow but Shriek Show has done and continues to do well. We have alot of anime!!

Last year was bigger than this year for titles but we did not get out Lizard and Zombi 2 which would have put it over the top. We have sold many, many of our other titles though especially of note, Zombi 3, Jungle Holocaust, Zombie Holocaust, Burial Ground, Beyond the Darkness and ofcourse the powerhouse --> Scarlet Diva. This has been though Tokyo Shock's turn to get more spotlight with Versus and Ichi the Killer and such.

So we are doing pretty well...I have to say and with Flesh opening up Walmart and doing our own productions, I am excited and we can start licensing over-seas.

-John Sirabella

3. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

I hope that everything works out for the better, since I really am looking forward to that DVD.

4. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Um, "legal issues"? I don't like the sound of that. :nervous: And I wonder which of their older titles they'll be re-releasing. I'd hate to have to go back and re-purchase all those dvds. Sometimes it sucks being a completist. :rolleyes:

5. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Yeah I hear ya zombi3, re-releasing titles sux big fucking time especially when a lot of these titles were decent to begin with. As far as legal issues, I thought the whole reason they were going ahead with putting these titles together was because everything was taken care of. Why would they not just assemble the title, street date it and THEN say there are legal issues?! Hopefully this re-organized thinking at SS will be for the better as a lot of their customers are loosing faith in their ability to maintain a sense of consistancy.

6. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Shoot, I might as well cancel this order until then. I've had it on pre-order forever, and look so forward to that disc, among other releases. Shriek Show has definitely been the line for horror in the past couple of years, regardless of delays.

7. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

John Sirabella was at Chiller yesterday and I asked him about Zombi 2. He said they're aiming to have it out by March. The disc is done, but there are some copyright issues going on between Media Blasters and William Lustig.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2003
  8. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Damn. I hope Lustig works to cut through the crap and allows this one out.

9. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Wouldn't it be better if Blue Underground released it?:cool:;)

10. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Not to me. There's no reason to assume BU would do a better job - BU have their share of okay releases. I like SS, and hope they can get this out ASAP.

11. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

Legal issues at this stage of the game??? Those should have been taken care before this even got the go ahead. Either SS or Lustig has broken the contract for that comment. I wonder who....

12. CrumpsBro

CrumpsBro Guest

Or could be the producer sold the same rights to both of them. Happens all the time...

13. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

Guess you like Mono tracks on your DVD's, which if that works for you, more power to you. I myself like quality Video and Audio, which BU delivers on with every film it has released to date. Shriek Show have shown their true colors and continue to release subpar product.

Too bad the talents of Mike Baronas and Kit Gavin are wasted at Shriek Show.

14. Based on past public comments from William Lustig, I believe this is the case. Lustig is the successor in interest of the original US licensees of the film, but the Italian producer has claimed that license is null and void, probably to get Lustig to cough up more money. Said producer has likely gone ahead and struck a new license with Media Blasters, which obviously conflicts with the older US license. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

DJ

15. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

So in other words, this is being release when Cannibal Holocaust (Grindhouse) gets release?

16. If a film's original soundtrack is mono, then, yes, I do like it. "Mono" is not a dirty word. It is a type of soundtrack mix, and it isn't somehow inherently bad or inferior.

I find it pretty funny to see a company getting trashed for using a film's original soundtrack. Companies usually get lauded for maintaining a film's original parameters (length, aspect ratio, content). Somehow this doesn't apply when a film's original soundtrack happened to be mono. Ironic that people clamor for original aspect ratio, but if a film's original soundtrack is mono, many of them demand a multi-channel remix. When people want to have their TV screens get filled up with picture no matter what the film originallity looked like, they usually get insulted as being a "Joe Six-Pack." When they want their speakers to be filled up with sound no matter what the flm originally sounded like, they get a pat on the back as being a "true" DVD fan.

So if a film's original soundtrack is mono, it's automatically not quality audio?

I can understand trashing a company for releasing poor product, but to trash a company for actually releasing the film in its original state seems a bit much to me. You're quite right that BU does outstanding work, but of the issues I have with Shriek Show, the fact they dare to actually retain a film's original soundtrack isn't one of them.

DJ

17. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

Even though the AB DVD has flaws, the 5.1 track was quite good, especially when one considers when this was produced and ported from the LD.

SS plans on releasing their DVD with a Mono track and that is absurd. SS continually release subpar Audio and Video. If you like that sort of thing since you are a true fan then so be it.

18. How, exactly, is this absurd and subpar? It's the original state of the film, isn't it? Is preserving the original presentation of a film absurd and subpar? Can one only achieve high quality by remixing every film until its sound is blaring at you from every conceivable angle?

What "sort of thing" would that be? A film's original soundtrack? I didn't realize one needed to be a "true fan" in order to not want to trash a company for engaging in the horrible practice of presenting a film as it was originally released.

DJ

19. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

Speaking of preserving films as they were originally released, SS has done this to few films and will not do so when they release ALIAWS on DVD in 1.85:1 instead of 2.35:1, make sure you remember that. SS has done very little to preserve the original presentation on most of their releases.

If you like Mono, then fine, so be it, I'm not arguing that point. I'd like a 5.1 remix along with the original track as it adds to the enjoyment of the film. SS seem to feel Audio tracks don't deserve much attention and if you own any of their DVD's you know this to be a fact.

20. I've yet to see a shred of hard evidence that A Lizard in a Woman's Skin is a 2.35:1 film. All previous widescreen video releases that I know of have been in 1.85:1, and a single unsupported listing in a book on Fulci or a claim on a foreign poster isn't very compelling evidence to prove otherwise. It's easy to assume it's a 2.35:1 film and criticize Shriek Show from afar, while they, of course, have actually dealt with the film's producers and the film's elements.

Once upon a time, you said you'd have definitive proof of the 2.35:1 AR in "a few days." Unless I'm mistaken, 7 months have passed without this proof.

Care to back that statement up with examples and evidence? I expect this to be a long reply, since you're making this claim about most of their releases.

I own a number of their DVDs, and it seems to me that they devote much attention to their audio tracks by caring enough to leave them intact. Caring about something enough to leave well enough alone is a type of caring that is all too uncommon in today's video distribution market.

DJ

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2003