Zombie 2 dvd release date

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by DeathDealer, May 18, 2004.

1. stone88

stone88 Guest

http://www.davisdvd.com/news/daily_news.html

Media Blasters/Shriek Show will release a 25th anniversary special edition of the Lucio Fulci seminal horror classic Zombi 2 (also known as Zombie) on July 27th. Fully remastered in a new two-disc edition, the film will arrive with a 2.35 anamorphic widescreen transfer of the uncut version and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio (not specified is if this is the English dub or the original Italian). Bonus materials include an audio commentary track, over two hours of interviews with cast and crew (including effects artist Gianetto De Rossi), an extensive still photo gallery, poster reproduction inserts and trailers. Retail is $29.95.
    Oddly enough, another edition of the same film is being released on the same day from specialty distributor Blue Underground. This single-disc release is expected to feature an anamorphic transfer, trailers, TV & radio spots, poster and still galleries. Retail for this is $19.95. (thanks to Eric)

2. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Already been posted at the Euro section by me.

3. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Unless there are advance reviews stating that the BU version has a superior transfer, I'll be picking up the SS version. If later I find out that BU does have the nicer picture quality then I will get that also since it has a lower MSRP.

4. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

BU site updated

Check the updated Blue Underground site for more info and a tiny (fullscreen and badly edited)trailer.
    I wonder if we get a free barfbag with this version,in that case I definitely need this one!!;)

5. Taube

Taube Guest

Hey, what the EGG is going on here?
    Can they really both release it, I thought only ONE could have the rights for North America. Maybe they have struck a deal, giving SS the rights to an SE, and well, BU will *probably* have the better audio/video presentation.

Hopefully we´ll get some pre-review or something soon.

6. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

The latest releases of SS always include english subtitles together with the foreign soundtracks. Those guys respect non-english speaking buyers, and their releases are R1! BU's are R0 but they still include italian or french soundtracks without any subs! Fuck'em!

7. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I'm not sure about that. Looking at my Shriek Show collection, they very rarely releases discs with multiple audio tracks. I have 30 of their discs, and the only recent example when they have given an option for different languages is for NIGHTMARES COME AT NIGHT. I'm pretty sure they don't stick English subtitles on many of their releases either, but I could be wrong on that. I do understand your aggravation regarding the lack of subs though - that would piss me off too.

8. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Wait, I'm confused. How are they disrespecting non-english speaking buyers by not including english subtitles? That's like saying Anchor Bay disrespected English speaking buyers by not including French subtitles. I probably just misunderstood something, so I guess that would explain my confusion.

9. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Well... I am a non english speaking guy.
    What is the no.1 foreign language in Europe? English.
    Do I love watching giallos in italian? Of course I do.
    Do I love watching my Profondo Rosso DVD in Italian as well in english? Right on.
    Do I speak italian? I don't.
    Does my Deep Red DVD has english subs? Well yes it does! Too bad the other Argento AB releases don't! Fuck, even the italian DVD's of NONHOSONNO and STANDHAL have english subs (as well as english / italian audio).

Are my english fluent? Well yeah, but that does not mean that I can FULLY understand a film. Does BU releases their DVD's region free? Yes they do.
    They are amongst the very few companies NOT to include at least english subs! If they went for R1, that wouldn't be bad - that would be FULLY understandable.
    But, if you are looking to grab some $$$ outside the US, then put some more effort into it.

There are many reasons more, but those are enough for me.
    It is really fucked up when you get multiple audio language options but no subs!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2004
  10. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

I already have the Anchor Bay edition and think that will be enough for me.

11. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Alright, I understand now. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

12. betterdan

betterdan Guest

But that still doesn't make sense to me. If you are a non English speaking guy then you probably can't read English either so English subtitles probably wouldn't help there. I can see if someone wants to watch the film in it's original language (Italian) and have subtitles in their own language (English) so they can understand it though. For example Blood and Black Lace's English dub sounds crappy and kinda ruins it so I like listening in Italian and reading the English subtitles. The people sound less goofy that way.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2004
  13. Andrew

Andrew Guest

That's the point, he understands English but not Italian. Thus, he wants to watch it in its original Italian (which he can't understand) with subtitles in English (which, while not his first language, he can understand). I understand all that, I just don't know which SS releases you were referring to that had these multiple audio tracks and subtitles :confused: .

14. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Who is going to order online and who's gonna go to the stores to get one or both releases? I'm going to order online and get (probably) the SS version.

15. Crystal Plumage

Yeah online,it's the only way for me to get it cheap enough.I can get the SS for $19/€15 and the BU for $11/€9 (ex.P&P),so I could end up buying both :D .

16. dwatts

dwatts New Member

99.9% sure this will be an online purchase for me. I don't understand why anyone would buy both versions. SUe the money to get TWO movies, not the same one - is my motto.

17. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    This is definitely an online one. I can't see the stores giving a good deal on horror obscurities!

18. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Already got the SS version on pre-order. I hope both transfers look the same so I don't have to get both. :D

19. Crystal Plumage

Found out the following:
    SS's Zombie = 1:85.1 Widescreen Anamorphic (from SS site)
    BU's Zombie = 2:35.1 Widescreen Anamorphic (from BU site)

I know that SS never gives accurate info about their releases and that both companies used the same print,but I just wanted to let you know :D .

20. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN