Zombie 3 2.0 (the SS disc w/ commentary)

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Werner Von Wallenrod, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I finally found ZOMBI 3 and 4 at Best Buy for $18 a pop. It's the first edition but I figure I'll send it in when the opportunity becomes available to me.

2. Pukenstein

Pukenstein New Member

My Best Buy also has the first Zombi 3, will wait howeer.

3. EPKJ

EPKJ Guest

Rewarding Incompetence

You are only rewarding incompetence by purchasing the original disk. Wait for the upgraded version.

4. NickyDoyle

NickyDoyle Guest

Is it me, or is SS raising the suggested retail price on their DVD's? Before, they used to go for about $25, but now I saw Zombie 4 at FYE for $27. Granted, its only a two dollar difference, and John needs the money, but I was just wondering if anyone else noticed the price hike.

5. I don't know... All I ever see when I see a SS disc in the stores now is that it isn't Zombie 3 version 2, then my vision goes completely red.

6. Andrew

Andrew Guest

EPKJ - I want the film, so I bought it. In the chance that the second version doesn't come out for awhile, I have it. And if it does, I'll get it for free. I'm not rewarding anything. They know what the fans want; John visits here often (although not lately).

7. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I don't know - if the film is what you are after - why not go for the current version which I have seen going at several Blockbuster stores for under $9? It is missing a commentary - but I only ever listen to such things once anyway. I doubt the new version will be that cheap - this film hardly justifies big bucks anyway.

8. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Re: Rewarding Incompetence

I totally agree with this, but if it is a free upgrade, then it would be worth it. I wish I could find some definitive statement about the disc swap, because, they are all over my area Blockbusters for $9, and it'd be worth it for that. I am holding on to an SVCD of it that somebody ripped for me off the region 3 disc, way back.

9. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I would've picked up Blockbuster's version, but the ones there were in shitty cases (not usual keepcases), and there were stickers on the packaging. I also had a gift card to Best Buy that I wanted to get rid of. Had there been no mention that we will be able to upgrade, I definitely would've waited. But as is, I don't think it was a mistake. Like I said, they know they screwed up, and they've done quite a nice job on quite a few films. So it's not like they're assuming we're all pleased with the current disc. Hell look at all the threads in this forum complaining about it.

10. EPKJ

EPKJ Guest

Rewarding Incompetence

When you pay someone for substandard work, you are rewarding them. This is an objective fact, and is not debatable. However, I understand your decision. You have reasoned that your interest lies in rewarding their incompetence. I rewarded the incompetence of Artisan by purchasing Sleepless in full screen. So, I understand your decision. The difference is that Artisan never claimed an error which they would soon correct.

11. All "objective facts" are debatable. But otherwise you're spot on. The point? Zombie 3 version 2 needs to come out NOW!!

12. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

Shriek Show + delays - this surprises you?

I am amazed at how inconsistent Shriek Show is. This situation here with the loaded Zombie 3 disc and all of the delays it has seen only supports my case of their inconsistency even more. This was promised months ago as was the exchange for the awful Two Orphan Vampires discs which should have never passed Quality Assurance (which obviously doesn't exist at Shriek Show), yet us fans are still left out in the dark. That is a shitty way to run a business but I can't say I'm surprised.

I'm very curious to see how 2003 pans out for Shriek Show as they are releasing some of my favorite genre titles. Hopefully they'll manage to improve their track record, although I highly doubt they'll ever make a street date, which isn't the end of the world as long as the discs sport the video/audio/extras that these titles deserve. The best way to make sales is to put in the effort, time and care that should be invested to making these films look the way they should. Other companies (ie Synapse, Anchor Bay) continually outperform Shriek Show when it comes to quality and I'm curious to see how long this trend continues.

13. Well, but this deal with Zombie 3 is worse than a release date getting pushed back, now...
    I don't know anything about the Two Orphan Vampires DVD, as I was never really interested in that film, so this is the first I've heard of that.
    All I knows is this "Blockbuster edition" fiasco is :bs:

14. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Well Synapse has also been less than timely with their releases. What's it been since Street Trash was announced, three years? But these are small companies with small staffs, so delays are to be expected. I hate to wait too, but if these delays are necessary to turn out a quality product, then I can accept them.

However...

I totally agree. This is just ridiculous!

15. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

At least Don will tell you straight up exactly what is going on with each title. Every time I e-mailed him, he always replied within 24 hours whereas Shriek Show leaves you guessing. Sure you can pick one title that has been delayed, that isn't a tough thing to do.

I guarantee you Street Trash will look and sound better than any Shriek Show disc released to date as Synapse obviously has higher standards.

16. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

I don't know if it's so much a problem with Shriek Show's standards as their lack of experience dealing with movies like these. Remember when they first started posting on message boards and had no clue about things like making composite transfers or ensuring print completeness. They've gotten better but there's still learning to be done.

17. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Erg. My ZOMBIE 4 disc is fucked up. I was really liking the movie too (a LOT more than Z3), but around the 59 minute mark it started to pixelate and freeze up. Very pissed off. For two reasons: 1) I doubt Best Buy will have a new copy in for me to trade with, and 2) I'm very skeptical on how long it'd take for me to get a replacement from SS.

Oh and after watching ZOMBI 3 I'd like to say that all this fuss isn't necessary for the movie. I mean, it's okay, but nothing special. Rides a fine line between laughably-bad and annoyingly-bad. The scientist dude cracks me up though. Especially the poor dubbing on close-ups.

18. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

Zombie 4 is classic!

Hope you get another copy so you can check out the rest of the film.

19. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Emm, Zombie Holocaust looks very good to these eyes. Don't you bash them a bit too much or am I wrong?

20. Andrew

Andrew Guest

For the record, I thought SOLANGE and BUIO OMEGA looked great as well.

But does anyone know if SS is any good with customer service?