Zombie 4

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by cjg, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I think I've seen two different movies. I loved what I saw of this, and I highly doubt the last half hour will change my mind (stupid defective discs). Way better than Z3.

2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Heh heh. I just watched this one again. Like most films of this type, I went int his time with no expectations (after all, I hd seen it before). The review linked on this page just about says it all. What surprised me is that the story here is actually stronger than Zombie 3. Which, I admit, isn't saying much.

I'm a little confused about the status of the film. In the Jay Slater book the Dircetor is vocal about this film being cut for release by the Producers. But the packaging makes no reference to this release being uncut. So, is this the full-on gore version or not? Anyone seen another version?

It's a bit grainy, and personally I loved the soundtrack (the song is a bit, blah, but ther est is cool). The liner notes on the disc are the WORST I have ever seen. I think I caught most of the text.

All in all, I'm still sitting here yearning for Killing Birds, which I will no doubt order next week with Alien Q. comes out.

3. Andrew

Andrew Guest

KILLING BIRDS is sadly nowhere near as much fun, but I guess worth getting for the relatively cheesey plot and acting.

4. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Really? Having enjoyed Black Demons and Zombie 4 lately, I am having trouble grasping how much worse things could get, and still be fun. Not enough action in Killing Birds, or what?

5. Andrew

Andrew Guest

It's pretty dull, from what I remember. Not overly cheesy to the point of being sheer greatness (like ZOMBIE 4), but not so boring that it's just really bad. It lies somewhere inbetween. Worth checking out for the price though, I guess.

6. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I still can't get into Zombie 3 and 4. I like some cheesy shit, too.

7. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I have an epiphany. I watched them once - URGH. And then, I just was really in the mood for cheesy, trashy cinema. And they worked. And I was like, cool!

8. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I enjoyed the hell out of both Zombi 3 and 4. Watched them both for the first time tonight and they were entertaining B-movies.

Killing Birds on the other hand sucked. Dull as hell.

9. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I also enjoy part 4 (a.k.a. After Death).
    Nowhere near as great as part 3, but still good fun :)

I love how the Zombies acts more like Ninjas in this one, how they attack from above etc. :D

Plus the Theme song is AWESOME!! :D

10. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

Italy just got new releases of both Zombi 3 and After Death with new HD masters and they both look great. Zombi 3 doesn't have the annoying quality switch that's present on the U.S. disc to keep the film fully uncut and After Death actually has the deleted footage the producers removed from the film as an extra. They released Killing Birds as well but it's the cut version of the film.

Both discs also have full documentaries and behind the scenes footage on the films, reversible artwork, various trailers and are great releases over all.

Unfortunately - the entire package, including the features and films themselves are in Italian with no subtitle options.

The company that released them is called CineKult and they also have released Fulci's Zombie as well as Zombi 2 with a new transfer as well, and with English audio so that release might be worth dropping some coin into if you have a multi-region player. At least it's English friendly!

The scenes cut from After Death are all dialogue scenes, nothing overly special but ironically kind of intricate to the plot. For example, after Tommy is bitten by the zombie, in the cut version they go straight to the hospital - but in the uncut version, they go back to the boat to discover it's missing - which in the cut version begs the question why they didn't got back to the boat in the first place...well, now you know. ;)

The other two scenes I can't recall honestly so I don't think they're that important but they are on this disc if anyone wants to shell out the dollars to see them and the film remastered - but again, it's all in Italian NO English options.