Zombie - BU vs. AB vs. SS (When released) - Screen Captures - NSFW

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Latency, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Latency

Latency Guest

Here they are as requested (AB on top, BU on Bottom, SS will be in the middle when it's released). All files were captured as bmp's and then converted to JPEG (High quality #12). When the SS version gets released, I'll be adding them to this post as well.

**NOTE** Please don't link this to other sites. The pictures are only being hosted on a DSL line (my own personal) and there's not that much bandwith. Thanks.

**UPDATE** Please take into account that these comparisons are not "frame to frame". The BU disc is actually longer and the time stamps are different for each movie. If I had more time, I could have found each identical frame ... but I didn't. For the record, the BU print has more footage on the right and left sides. The mirror in the "boob" shot is a good example. And don't be fooled by the truck scene, the camera actually moves to the right eventually.

**UPDATE** SS Images now added (in the middle)!! Thanks a bunch !!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2004
  2. Latency

Latency Guest

I just realized the BU images are larger because they are anamorphic. Hope this still gives a fair comparison. I think it should.

3. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

Blue Underground's release is obviously far more superior than Anchor Bay's. The is most likely due to the fact that Zombie was an early AB release, which explains the murky picture.

4. Latency

Latency Guest

Oh of course. I can't wait to see the SS release though. That should be a real good critical comparison.

5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Nice shots - thanks! The BU is better, but they're not WOW LOOKS HOW AMAZING THIS IS! They are much much better, though. A tad more contrast might have helped, imo.

6. Latency

Latency Guest

Dwatts - No problem. Look at the 4 screens I just added (the close-up of the zombie in particular). I think alot of the evening/night scenes have that WOW factor :).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2004
  7. I'm still happy with Anchor Bay's release.

I'm an advocate of not improving a movie beyond how it would've looked when originally shown.

8. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--LOL-- Well BU cheated, they have twice as many zombies in thier night scene ;)

The sunlit scenes though, they bother me a little. The green/yellow hue rears its ugly head again.

9. joot29

joot29 Guest

Hmm. I don't agree. The shots above don't really do enough justice to the BU print. Fulci was into vivid atmospheric colors (as many of the Italian Horror directors were - not as much as Bava and Argento, but still...) and so I'm sure he intended for the movie to look more like BU's release. I have no less respect for Anchor Bay, though. They were the pioneers and paved the way for all of the Fulci releases. Imagine if we had to wait till 2004 for ANY DVD release of "Zombie". Damn....Can't wait for the SS release. Need Fulci extras now. Must have "Zombie" extras. c-a-n-n-o-t w-a-i-t . . . . . .

10. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Anchor bay's release is a turd. Sorry, but there you have it. Yes it was an arly release, but it looks HORRID, and I can't say much good about it other than it's cheap, and it was first.

Atmospheric colors and a green/yellow hue arn't the same thing. Maybe it WAS intentional, I really don't know, but while the images are certainly better, they have a couple of issues, imo.

Still, I'm buying the SS disc, and even then it'll take four to six weeks to get to me. I am sure SEEING is BELIEVING ;)

11. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

The BU is a HUUUUGE improvement over AB's, so I can't wait to finally have this baby in my hands and ready to be popped in the player. :)

12. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    The B.U. release is just beautiful - the film didn't look that good when I saw it in 1981 (of course - the film was scratched and jumpy in spots a year after its original release). Thanks! I'm buying both new DVDs for sure.

13. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

The BU disc looks fantastic, WOW!

14. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Wow Thanks Latency I am sold on BU's version. I agree Dwatts the AB Zombie disc was a turd. If you wanna see the movie closer to how it originally looked I don't see how anyone could defend the AB dvd. It was so full of compression artifacts it isn't even funny.

15. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

got that right!!!!!!!

16. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

I hope the Media Blaster's uses the same transfer as BU. That would be a shame if the bare bones BU release has the best picture quality :(

17. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

Damn that is an improvement. I love the fact that you compaired the booby shot. Still, I'm holding off for the SS version.

18. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    The worst thing about all of this is that the AB print has more info on the right edge in some shots. Lets hope that SS has it all.

19. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Which shots are you talking about? You do realize the shots Latency posted are not exactly synchronized to each other right?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2004
  20. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    In the Harbor Zombie shot and in the shot with the truck the AB has more info on the right edge.