Zombie - BU vs. AB vs. SS (When released) - Screen Captures - NSFW

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Latency, Jul 28, 2004.

1. drterror666

drterror666 Guest

This is my first post to the Horrordvds forum, although some of you may know me from the Anchor Bay UK forum. ("Oh, no, it's him", I can hear you whispering!) :D

I'm still on the wall about whether to go BU or SS. At the moment, I'm shifting towards SS, but I won't make up my mind until I've seen a few more screen grabs on the DVD Compare site. :)

2. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

Welcome to horrordvds.com! If you cause trouble, we will clip your nuts off.
    Everything I have seen points me in the direction of SS so thats what I ordered. Finally, I can use the AB disc as a drink coaster. :D

3. Fart Lighter

Fart Lighter Guest

hang on a second, you're getting the wrong end of the stick here.

ZOMBIE was hardly originally shown with pixelation and artifacting, that came with the AB disk. The new releases are attempting to restore the prints to their original quality, they're much closer to the film look than the MPEG2 compressed mess of the AB release.

4. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Agreed, there's a difference between issues with the original film and problems that are related to the digital releases. Pixelation and artifacting are two prime examples of things that don't happen to just film stock. Grain and washed out colors, however, are a different story.

5. Fart Lighter

Fart Lighter Guest

I can't get many of the screenshots to work, but you know, afetr looking at the ones that did, and listening to all the different comments, I still can't figure which is really the better one

6. Latency

Latency Guest

You shoulda PM'd me. I am too late :p. Can someone else please take some screens of the SS version ? Once again, the time stamps are as follows (I'm pretty sure, that's what I have written down):

7:45
    12:23
    31:40
    36:31
    41:01
    59:18
    100:07
    111:12
    116:53

Those stamps are exact times from the AB disc. The time stamps are probably a few seconds off from the SS disc though (because of the longer running time).

NOTE: If someone makes these screens, I'll redo my captures for the AB and BU disc to match the frames PERFECTLY for an accurate comparison :). C'mon, I know a bunch of your have the SS version :). If you don't have web space then just PM me and I'll give you access to my webspace.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2004
  7. Number Six

Number Six I am not a number...

Umm...yeah! I was just, umm, testing you guys. You passed!!! :rolleyes:

Seriously, though... I had no idea that was Fulci. So what? Sorry I ain't "superfan". ;)

8. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Never mind,neither am I.Though I like some of his films (Zombie,HBTC,New York Ripper and Beyond)

9. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

New review online for the SS disc.

10. gorasu

gorasu Guest

This is interesting...
    Read the review from the link, and then read my Zombi 2 review on the Reader Reviews thread, written two days before! Notice the similarities, mostly in the extras department...

Maybe a coincidence, maybe not- at any rate, its pretty funny...

11. Midnight Buddha

Midnight Buddha Member

Those screen shots on the shriek show review look stunning

12. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Hey could someone with the SS disc do me a favor and check this out? On disc 2 during the Building a Better Zombie documentary I noticed a couple of glitches. First, at 22m 31s during Fabio Frizzi's interview there is a brief bit of static over the audio. I also noticed some brief speckling on the picture at 31m 46s during the Maurizio Trani segment. Could someone please check it out and get back to me? I'm wondering if I got a defective disc 2. Thanks.

On a side note, I had no idea that the worm-eyed zombie was played by none other than Ottaviano Dell 'Acqua (from Rats and Zombi 3)! I never would have guessed it.

13. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Yeehaaah!!I'm the 10,000th viewer of this thread!:banana: :banana:

14. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

That's a ton of views for the short amount of time the thread's been alive.

15. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

I still have no idea which one to get. :(

Which one has the better picture for you with high end TVs?

16. Latency

Latency Guest

have you read this thread at all ? :)

It's all a matter of opinion. Truth is, you can't really go wrong with either one. I would say go for the SS if you can't make up your mind from the screenshots. It's got better packaging and has some awesome extras. I'm not saying this because I own the SS disc either (I own the BU version actually). I do have a small problem with the slightly saturated colors on the SS disc, but others like it. Then again, you might not like the low contrast from the BU disc either .... So once again, I've confused you and probably made your decision even harder. ... sorry :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2004
  17. dwatts

dwatts New Member

"Money talks, Bulls*it walks". To quote a famous rock personality ;) If in doubt go cheap :)

18. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Uhh both are the same price though so that doesn't help him a bit ;)
    I really do think you are drunk today :lol:

19. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

Both glitches are on my disc.

Has there ever been a version of Zombie with the fat zombie coming out of the water? Is this footage lost?

20. Ravenheart

Ravenheart Guest

I have the AB release from a few years ago and think I'll just stick with that.