Zombie - BU vs. AB vs. SS (When released) - Screen Captures - NSFW

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Latency, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I just want to throw my two cents in and say that the Shriek Show release looks utterly beautiful. Aside from a surprising amount of grain during the first night scene at the boat, this is an impeccable transfer. The screen shots really do not do it justice, and it was literally like watching a totally different film. The documentary on Disc 2, while slow at times, has a lot of great information and stories told. The interview with Captain Haggerty goes on forever, and the "Evening with Dakar" is hilarious. My only minor complaint with the packaging is that the keepcase is a little too small for the outer slipcase, so it doesn't take much to send it sliding out. Not a big deal at all though, I'm just reaching for a complaint.

If you don't have either version yet, I would definitely suggest getting the Shriek Show disc. With it looking as amazing as it does, I can't imagine the difference in BU's version being more substantial than the documentary is. But that's just me talking, so truthfully I cannot say. But goddamn does this movie look good.

2. Midnight Buddha

Midnight Buddha Member

My Shriek Show dvd just shipped from dvdsoon :banana:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2004
  3. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Thanks, Mark. You know I never heard of that shot before. I guess it must have been filmed because Captain Haggerty described how they did it. Would have been nice if it was included as an extra, but anyway...

4. erobel

erobel Guest

Hi-
    I don't know if you all know this, but it had been established long ago
    that Bill Lustig couldn't get the licensing to release Zombie and SS did.
    So, they struck up some sort of deal for both companies to release it
    with different extras. And- they both have the same transfer. There
    shouldn't be any differences in the movie itself except for possibly the
    opening titles? I have both dvds, and have not had the time to check
    the SS yet. I find it weird that two different companies released the
    same movie on the same day with the same transfer though! It's like
    we have been waiting forever for a decent presentation of this flick-
    and all of a sudden, we get double wammied!

5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Welcome, yes, we've talked about this before. However, looking at the screenshots it seems clear there ARE differences between the two transfers. You have both versions, so you'd be in the best position to comment :)

6. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

I think it would work best if the screenshots were all made by the same person and program.That way all pictures can be the same resolution etc.Or am I mistaken?

7. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well, maybe, I was just talking to the guy who owned both discs. If I owed both discs, I'd not have bothered looking at this thread :D

8. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Yep that's the best way to do it.

9. Latency

Latency Guest

Actually, if you do a screenshot, it'll create a bmp of the exact resolution the DVD was created as. That's why the AB resolution is smaller, because non-anamorphics disc are simply made that way. The existing screens are fine. The only thing we have to worry about is if people compress the BMP's into low quality JPEG files. I converted the BMP's from my screenshots into the best possible quality JPEG's I could (Setting #12 in Adobe Phototshop). As far as I can tell, I lost no quality at all (even when blowing up the image 5X). BMP's would be ideal but the file size is unreralistic for hosting on the internet.

10. Crystal Plumage

So actually those screenshots posted here in this thread aren't really to be trusted I guess.I really appreciate the work you put in it guys,I couldn't do it better but it's not a fair comparison IMHO.Especially if issues on color and such are discussed.

Edit:plus monitor settings differ.If it looks good on yours it might look very different on someone else's.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2004
  11. Latency

Latency Guest

Huh????? I didn't say they couldn't be trusted at all :eek2: . I'm saying that if anyone ELSE created screens, they should convert them to the best possible JPEGs they can. The AB and BU comparisons are prefect (I gave the both high quality JPEG conversions). If someone posted some SS screens and converted them to high quality JPEG images, it would be a fair comparison as well.

As far as the color thing goes, everyone can adjust their computer colors to their delight, but it won't affect the screen captures at all. If you like your computer screen dark and you lower the brightness, all three screens will be dark (AB, BU, and SS) on your screen, not everyone elses. Point is, monitor settings have nothing to do with the end result screens. Now, if you put the pictures in photoshop and altered the colors and then saved em, that would be a different story :).

12. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I believe the way the colors look and the way the screen captures look can be altered by the settings in your dvd player software also. For instance Power Dvd on my computer has settings for color, contrast etc. Now I have not touched them but somebody else might have on their computer. I am guessing it would affect the screenshot also but I am not certain. I still think it would be best to get screenshots taken from the same program and from the same computer to eliminate all variables.

13. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I might be wrong, but didn't someone say that is exactly what they had done to their captures earlier? Adjusted colors and things?

14. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I don't remember anyone saying that dwatts but as usual I could be wrong.

15. meddle

meddle Member

I supplied DVDbeaver with screen shots for the media Blasters Zombi 2 DVD and now all four releases of Zombie can be compared here: http://www.compare.dvdbeaver.com/

16. Crystal Plumage

Thanks!
    That's it,I'm definitely going for the SS version:banana:.
    And I prefer the "orangy" look of the skin over the blueish BU.SS looks a bit lighter too.

17. Kishiro

Kishiro Guest

Re: #215 Meddle

Did you use PowerDVD for the screenshots?
    If so, it's of great importance that you use the "Original" Colorprofile setting under Configuration -> Video. Do NOT use "CLEV" or "Vivid". They will alter the colorsettings in the image!, making a comparison completely and utter useless!

If you have used the "vivid" setting (which I strongly suspect, and which for some satanic reason is the default setting...), please re-capture the screenshots using the "original" colorprofile setting.

18. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

:\

Last edited: Aug 11, 2004
  19. Crystal Plumage

Thanks Silent Noize but meddle already posted the link.Ah never mind...;)

20. Latency

Latency Guest

The SS disc still has too much contrast. And look at Fulci's face, the BU disc has natural flesh tones, and the SS disc has a orange tint to it. Also, if you look at the screen captures of the zombies walking through the town, the SS disc has bright neon green trees whereas the BU disc has a more natural green tone. I really think the captures weren't done properly .... or the SS disc is simply mastered with much brighter colors.

So did DVDBeaver make their own screens for all 4 versions ? Or did they use the SS captures meddle sent them ? Cause I think Kishiro has a very good point. When I did my screen captures, I made sure all color/tint/brightness/tint levels were at "0" in WinDVD. I don't know if meddle did this or not ??

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2004