Zombie - BU vs. AB vs. SS (When released) - Screen Captures - NSFW

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Latency, Jul 28, 2004.

1. wizzer

wizzer get outta here ewe

on my PC the SS disc appears to have nice natural colors. the green trees look great to me where the trees on the BU disc look to be pretty dark with almost no green tone. skin looks better to me on the fulci pic too. i don't see bright orange.

2. meddle

meddle Member

I had my Colorprofile set at "Original" on my powerDVD player and none of the shots were altered. :rolleyes:

3. meddle

meddle Member

Each of the four releases on the comparison was done by a different person. Everything was done with the utmost care to preserve the look and the integrity of all the screenshots. :fire:

4. Kishiro

Kishiro Guest

That's good Meddle :D Nice to finally clear up the screenshot situation.

What is funny tough, if you play the Blue Underground Zombie disc in PowerDVD, with the "vivid" color profile, the picture looks almost excactly identical to the Shriek Show version (That's one of the reasons I tought you might have been using the wrong colorprofile). Well, my conclusion is that it seems like SS has been doing some Contast-boosting. I think I'll stick to my BU disc. But they're both fine releases, and miles above the old ones.

By the way, is the SS dic progressive? It seem so from the amount of detail that is present in the screenshots, but it would nice to get a confirmation. I own about 12-14 Media Blaster DVDs (mostly Tokyo Shock releases) and ALL of them are interlaced. If Media Blasters finally are starting to release progressive discs, I'll surely applaude them.

5. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Call me an idiot (;))but can you explain the difference between interlaced and progressive?
    I'm pretty new to DVD in general (just started buying a couple of years ago).I buy movies I like and some look better than others.Technical talk isn't really my thing.I know the basics (methinks) but I'm sure I'm missing some knowledge here.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2004
  6. Latency

Latency Guest

Umm, aren't all DVD's progressive ? DVD's that are NTSC have to be progressive, it's the NTSC standard isn't it ?. That's why you see progressive DVD players with de-interlasers ... and TV's too. Now HDTV, that's a different standard, and I believe it's progressive (in 720p mode anyways). Am I right ?

7. Latency

Latency Guest

Sorry dude. I just wanted to make sure. It's obvious you did a good job and knew what you were doing (now that you clarified it). It's just such a touchy subject when critically comapring screenshots, everything has to be perfect and equally done :).

8. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Ah,now I understand [​IMG] .Something to do with the number of lines right?I don't have a progressive scan DVD player,should I get one?

9. meddle

meddle Member

No problem, I fully agree this is a heated debate that can get touchy and I personally like the Media Blasters release overall, but in the end you can't go wrong with either release. :)

10. Latency

Latency Guest

Do you have a HDTV ? If so, what kind ? And if you do have one, what kinda de-interlacing chip does it have ? It all depends on your situation weather to get a progressive scan dvd player or not. My parents for instance have a Toshiba HDTV. I recently purchased them a progressive scan DVD player. The progressive mode looked bad on their TV because the DVD player didn't have a good de-interlacer. So i flipped the DVD player to non-progrssive and let the TV deinterlace it. Right away it looked better and it was obvious the chip built into the TV was better than the one built into the DVD player. So it all depends on your TV/DVD Player combination. This is how I understand it. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, please :).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2004
  11. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Guest

DVD's can be encoded as Progressive or Interlaced. It gets complicated to explain, but many releases are encoded as Interlaced, which gives you a softer picture. It's a shame, but it happens all the time.