Zombie - BU vs. AB vs. SS (When released) - Screen Captures - NSFW

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Latency, Jul 28, 2004.

1. wizzer

wizzer get outta here ewe

but the titties shot on the BU disc has more titties on the right edge.

2. wizzer

wizzer get outta here ewe

plus it may not be the exact same frame on each comparison

3. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    true true

4. Latency

Latency Guest

Sorry, I couldn't get the exact frames. I went by a "timelaps" in WinDVD but BU's DVD seems to have more footage (and the time stamps are different for each movie). I did a poor job with that truck scene. The camera actually does move and the truck is fully in the picture eventually. I'll make a disclaimer in my original post.

5. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Umm I already said they weren't the exact frame for frame but i guess I didn't say it the right way :)

The harbor zombie shots are taken at a different time/frame, Notice the green thing? In the first AB shot it's not covering any of his face. In the 2nd BU one the camera or zombie moved and now it's covering part of his face.

The shots with the truck are also taken at a differnt time/frame. The first AB shot look at the guy with the plaid shirt his arm is extended and both guys are near the front of the truck. Now look at the 2nd BU shot and now they are near the middle of the truck and the plaid shirt guy doesn't have his arm extended.

You can't really judge any shots unless they are exactly frame by frame the same.

6. Latency

Latency Guest

Oh, you said it the right way betterdan. I just wanted people to hear it from the guy that created the screens. It's pretty obvious it's out of sync though. Only a fool would think otherwise :).

j/k ekent :p

Still, even though things are out of sync by a few milliseconds, it gives people a good idea of what the BU print looks like compared to the AB disc. When I have access to the SS disc, I'll be very critical and try and get the exact same frames as the BU disc.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2004
  7. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

i gotta say, in that last zombie shot (the one that is on the AB cover) looks better in the AB release simply because the BU one is too clear and doesnt look as realistic

8. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Yea it does kinda ruin the effect.

9. Latency

Latency Guest

blow that image up on a 51" HDTV or 100" projector, and it won't look nearly as clear as that screen Aeon :). I see your point though. I personally prefer the BU print. You can really see the flesh peeling of. Wonderful stuff :).

10. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Latency, you did a great job, don't worry about it.

11. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Why would he worry about anyhting? No one is bad mouthing him. Someone just misunderstood that the shots weren't the same.

12. Latency

Latency Guest

Yep, no offense taken by me at all. I wanted to create the exact same "frame to frame" screens, but I didn't have the time (I'm a family guy so finding time to take screens of Zombie is hard to come by :)). It would have cleared up some confusion but whatever, now people know because I made a disclaimer :). I'm glad someone pointed it out. Thanks for the props though Dwatts :).

13. Kinda like the shadow on the black dropcloth in the window at the end of Evil Dead (when Ash moves the furniture to block the door).

On my old school VHS you couldn't tell it was a dropcloth but as soon as Elite/Anchor Bay put out nicely remastered copies you could see all the mistakes.

14. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    I guess I am too used to doing screen comparisons for Romero films, who hardly ever pans. :D

15. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

Latency, thanks dude, you did a nice job and it's much appreciated! I'm probably going to end up snagging BU's disc anyday now.

16. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

Well, First of all i want to thank Latency for these great screen caps. Now i have to say that i see pluses and minuses in both versions. For instance, the scene with the truck. In AB version the colors look beautifully vibrant, but in BU version everything looks washed out. But BU does have the Anamorphic edge, I mean just look at that last cap with the zombies. :) I think i will wait a bit for some reviews on the SS disc.

17. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Those BU picks look much better than ABs but the underwater shot for BU looks less clear than ABs. Still, I need to hear and see more from SS before actually getting a version of this movie. Thanks.

18. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

And my avatar thanks you too. :D

19. Latency

Latency Guest

haha, good stuff! :D

20. Latency's pics really show the problems with Anchor Bay's release - which I'm still a proud owner of. I took Latency's BU pic of the truck and started manipulating it with Adobe Photo Elements to try and match it up with his AB pic. Without doing too much work, here's what I got -
    [​IMG]

Original BU Image-
    [​IMG]

AB image -
    [​IMG]

It's not perfect, but close. All you have to do to get that far is -

Increase the contrast
    Change the Hue - In the program I used, I lowered it
    Desaturate the image
    And select only the sky and increase the blue

So the yellowish/sunglass tint on the original BU image seems to be how the image should look. Increasing the contrast destroys all sorts of detail - especially in the shadows - which is why the "sunglass" look is missing from the Anchor Bay DVD. If the look bothers anyone, they could always crank up the contrast on whatever they're watching the BU DVD on.

So basically, even though at times the Anchor Bay DVD appears to be "clearer", it actually sucks giant donkey balls since it destroys image detail to look that way.

*Also - these photos are hosted on Photobucket. So they won't take a hit on Latency.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2004