Zombie - BU vs. AB vs. SS (When released) - Screen Captures - NSFW

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Latency, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Nasty Nate

Nasty Nate New Member

Call me kooky but I think I kinda like the old AB version better. The colors are sharper in the underwater scene for sure. I'll probably pick up the BU version anyway just for shits and giggles.

2. betterdan

betterdan Guest

You are kooky. Watch the AB version on anything bigger than a 27 inch set and notice the craptacular compression and digital artifacts. Horrible

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I have already expressed a couple of things I don't like about the BU. Seriously though, the screen caps don't tell the whole story about the AB release. The least of its problems are when you blow it up. The purple flames at the end are a bit problematic too --LOL--

Last edited: Jul 29, 2004
  4. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I think you mean the AB version ;)

5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Oh cripes - you are SOOOOO right. I'm going to edit my post above, but for sure - Betterdan is right, first time around I got it turned around :D

6. shift

shift Hot as shit!

If you look at the AB shot, the shadow detail is not good. The BU looks good, more of a natual then a VIBE color look. Overall I like BU.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2004
  7. shift

shift Hot as shit!

.............Also since I only do own the AB version, I will snag up the BU version and tell you what I think then on my 120" screen ;)

8. Swearboy

Swearboy New Member

Thanks for the comparison shots, Latency. I'm glad people spend the time to do this sort of thing. Now everyone can make a better decision on where to spend their money.

Regardless of which new Zombie DVD I get, It's obvious my AB DVD is in need of an upgrade!

9. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

this has nothing to do with the screen caps, but i thought this was a pretty good easter egg from dvdreview.com:

On the Blue Underground release of Lucio Fulci’s horror-masterpiece 'Zombie' the studio has added a very cool hidden feature for fans of the director.
    From the DVD’s Main Menu go to the 'Extras' submenu and there highlight the 'Posters & Stills' menu entry. Now press the 'Right' arrow key on your remote control and a zombie skull will appear. Now press the 'Enter' key and you will be treated to what could be called 'Lucio Fulci’s Career In Trailers.' About 30-minutes worth of trailers of movies by the director, spanning the length of Fulci’s career, can be found here.
    This exciting feature was uncovered by Dave Kraus.

10. Big Bobby D

Big Bobby D Guest

Cool little extra on the Blue Underground dvd ain't it Life O Petey?
    I think the B.U. version looks fantastic. You can tell how bad some of the effects are, but oh well. I hope the S.S. version looks just as good, because I want that one for the extras.
    :blabla: :banana:

11. ScarredGod

ScarredGod Guest

im not impressed enough by the screencaps to upgrade. maybe if i see it somewhere for 10 bucks, but for now ill stick with what i have and buy something else.

12. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

10 bucks instead of 12?Wow,that'll make a huge difference.......... ;)

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

DVD Beaver: http://207.136.67.23/film/DVDCompare3/zombie.htm

They make an interesting comment, mentioning that the scene with the worm zombie may actually need a night filter and that's why the Blue Underground looks so much better is because they may have left it off.

14. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well, we often mistake "Clear" for "Better". BU made the night filter mistake on Sadomania as well, if I recall. BU have made a few mistakes lately.

15. Joni Backman

Joni Backman New Member

I never bought the R2 Italian Shock release but now when I saw the screenshots, every one taken from that release is like watching Zombie with sunglasses on.

Difference between Italian Shock and Blue Underground is the same in captures 2 & 4 and 5 & 6. And I don't think that shot 6 (the old cover shot - one-eyed zombie) should be nightshot.

16. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

The Italian Shock release isn't that bad.Just adjust your TV a bit and it looks just fine.But I watched it last week again and I definitely need an upgrade (from SS hopefully).

17. Wez4555

Wez4555 Happy Trees Motherfucker!

well im a fulci whore. i was going to wait and see how the SS version was (i have the AB version) but i said fuck it and bought the BU version. im prolly going to give it a spin tonight.

18. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Ok since I bought the BU Zombie version I thought I would post 2 actual screen caps identical frame for frame to AB's old dvd release.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Both shots show the BU release seems to be missing just a sliver of info on the right hand side but then again it gains a sliver on the left hand side.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2004
  19. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

hrm, the BU seems a little bit stretched too

20. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Yeah, everyone rushes to praise BU, but there are a few issues. The shot of the people by the car looks better in the old version, I think. It's strange though, yellows are brighter than BU, but reds are less vibrant. In the first shot, there seems to be a snippet more headroom in the AB disc.