Zombie - BU vs. AB vs. SS (When released) - Screen Captures - NSFW

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Latency, Jul 28, 2004.

1. bachmann

bachmann Member

the uk AB uses the same transfer and extras so its basicaly the same disc

2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Sadly, I think AB UK are simply licensing the BU disc - so I'd stay away from that unless you hear different. Interesting, you have a projector too. The image on Deab and Buried survives a TV screen, but blow that sucker up and it falls to pieces in the worst way.

3. toh

toh Guest

Dead and Buried look...

I'm not sure this film can look better than it does on the BU dvd. It looks about the same as when I saw it in the theater all those years ago which leads me to believe that this is the way the film was shot. It is a shame that it doesn't look better on dvd but this may be as good as it's gonna get without a lot of artificial boosting.

toh.

4. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Totally agreed : DEAD & BURIED was foggy/grainy and soft on the big screen. To me, it'll lose something if it is ever presented otherwise (same as PROM NIGHT).
    ZOMBIE - when I saw this several times when it first came out (only 10 years old and I still got in!) it has always looked washed-out and just kind of "blah". The new DVD is a revelation - in fact, a completely new movie!
    Still there's something charming about watching grainy, washed-out looking horror movies at a downtown theater or Drive-In.

5. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

As a fan of Zombie, all I can do is commend Blue Underground for a job well done. All the audio tracks still have that "tinny" sound, at least to me, but the picture quality is beautiful. I seriously doubt it can get any better than this! :banana:

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

It's an anamorphic image, the last two shots betterdan captured have not been corrected to compensate for a 1.77:1 screen. I've compenasted for aspect ratio and resized the images to be equal, it's a rather large image so I'll just link to it:

http://www.x-human.net/downloads/zombie2_ab_vs_bu.jpg

It's not a perfect compensation, I rounded up a bit, but it's MUCH closer now. Only a few pixels off. Looks like a tug of war with the frame, AB pulling from the right and BU pulling from the left. So I don't know about framing, as others have said both scenes have camera movement, it's difficult to get the same exact frame.

And as for the "night shot" DVD Beaver mentions, during the scene characters say it's getting late and it's suppose to take place in the late afternoon. So actually it makes perfect sense that the rotting zombies should have what I'd call a twilight filter on, which would explain the orange and brown look of the scene in all other prints.

Addmitedly the greens on BU's transfer are much better in other scenes, but not THAT much better. We're talking from color for another with a different quality of light. It looks like a different scene. I'm just as suspicious as DVD Beaver.

7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Some movies aren't made in the best of circumstances and to pass over a great movie because the image doesn't live up to personal unrealistic expectations is just plain unfortunate. "Soft focus" and fog filters were cinematic trends during the 70s, like zoom shots, and to wait for the day when DEAD & BURIED will be released in sharp focus, well... it ain't never gonna happen.

8. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--Some movies aren't made in the best of circumstances and to pass over a great movie because the image doesn't live up to personal unrealistic expectations is just plain unfortunate. "Soft focus" and fog filters were cinematic trends during the 70s, like zoom shots, and to wait for the day when DEAD & BURIED will be released in sharp focus, well... it ain't never gonna happen.--

Personally (and I believe Wizzer too) I'm not talking about about the picture being soft, of the fog. It's the terrible terrible grain. In the opening scene, the sky is alive with ants. Still, both he and I bought it, so we can't be accused of passing it up :)

9. wizzer

wizzer get outta here ewe

this is exactly what i'm talking about. it has to do with compression. if you had more space on a disc to transfer the film over frame by frame without compression at all then it would be as close to film as digital could get i think. so eventualy we will get this with something like an HD transfer. for now though, some companies seem to work with the avaliable bitrates on their dvds a little better than others. i notice small amounts of compression on a disc and say nothing. the BU dead and buried is riddled with compression issues. and the blacks look washed out to me also.

10. Latency

Latency Guest

It looks great on my TV too. I have my colors/contrast/brightness/sharpness calibrated with the THX optomizer found on my Suspiria disc. I don't know why it looks so yellow with the screen captures either .......

11. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The amount of grain probably has more to do with the type of film stock used during production than anything that Blue Underground can be faulted for. And in reference to earlier comments, as far as BU's SHOCK WAVES is concerned, they freely admit on the back cover that it was transfered from the director's vault print because the negatives were lost more than 20 years ago. Is it shoddy looking? Yes. I hate how the image flashes during it's darker moments. but given that this is probably the best it'll ever look unless the negatives are finally found, I'll gladly take it over not having it at all. Blue Underground do the best they can with what they have access to.

12. Latency

Latency Guest

dude, there's no compression in BU's release of Dead and Burried. maybe tons and tons of grain, but I've watched the disc many times and have never seen crazy amounts of compression. From what I've heard, BU did they best the could on D&B. The elements they used were not all that great but most important, it's uncut. I'm not praising BU, I'm just trying to defend them a bit because they do deserve more credit with their work with D&B (and Shockwaves).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2004
  13. Latency

Latency Guest

damn, you beat me to it maybrick :)

14. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--The amount of grain probably has more to do with the type of film stock used during production than anything that Blue Underground can be faulted for.--

Maybe, I equally fault THE FILM. But really, those saying it's okay have smaller systems. On a widescreen TV it really does not look too bad - on projectors, it's a joke. If you blew up the BU DVD to a 30 foot screen, it would, I think, be unwatchable. As it is, on an 11 foot screen the movement in the sky (grain) is enough to draw your eye away from the characters.

Now - Hills Have Eyes has grain - AND - compression. Yet, it blows up better than Dead and Buried. The BU Dead and Buried is not a good looking DVD, I'm afraid.

As for Shockwaves - as far as I could tell, BU did NOTHING to it. I also have a German release of the film that came out before, and I think it's the same damn print.

15. Latency

Latency Guest

watts - can you prove BU did nothing to Shockwaves ? no one really knows except for BU, and looking at many of their disc's with gorgeous transfers, it seems like the do put some TLC in their work. Why would they scimp out for Shock Waves alone ? like maybrick mentioned, they flat out told everyone what they had bad elements because the original negative was lost (just like DJango for example) ......

BU's problem is they restore old gem's. Over the years, alot of these movies get lost or damaged, but sometimes you get lucky and find some good elements to work with. That's why you sometimes see BU with great transfers, and some lackluster. It's my guess that BU does the best they can with these old movies. The story goes the same for other companies like Anchor Bay (well, their newer stuff anyways).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2004
  16. wizzer

wizzer get outta here ewe

i don't want to get in a heated agument because i'm neither for nor against BU. infact, i'm trying to give them a little credit by saying maybe the disc has some issues here and there but the fact is on my theater set up, modest it may be, dead and buried looks too terrible for me to give it a viewing. not to say it's not better than any other release of the same movie but when i put it in it makes me think of 10 other movies from the same era that i own that would have a better picture that i would rather watch just for my eyes sake.

17. Latency

Latency Guest

I really have to get a projector (or a HDTV).... mind you, having a 27" is kinda nice because almost any DVD looks great, even Dead and Burried :).

18. betterdan

betterdan Guest

That is a problem with a bigger screen Latency, it's cool to have a big picture but then it kinda sucks as now you can see all the problems with transfers. In regards to Dead and Buried it looks ok on my 47 inch. I do see lots of grain but no compression artifacts from what I remember.
    Thanks Latency for checking out that truck scene on your tv. I don't know why the yellow/green tint is on the screen captures either. My tv was calibrated by an ISF pro but it's been a few years. I keep it looking right by using Avia, or sometimes I just slip in the Suspiria disc like you mentioned.

19. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--watts - can you prove BU did nothing to Shockwaves ? no one really knows except for BU, and looking at many of their disc's with gorgeous transfers, it seems like the do put some TLC in their work.--

Perhaps I can clarify :) Their version is the VERY SAME as the German one I have, down to the extras. Maybe they DID work on it, but it was all for nothing, someone had done it before, and just as well (or just as bad, depending on your viewpoint).

--I really have to get a projector--

Or maybe not :D Seriously, as I am sure Wizzer will attest, 99% of the time it's awesome. The rest - Argh. There's no going back though.

20. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Here are some more screenshots for your viewing pleasure: :)

Attached Files: