Zombie - BU vs. AB vs. SS (When released) - Screen Captures - NSFW

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Latency, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Latency

Latency Guest

Okay, I thought I would clarify that dvdcompare.net hasen't compared the BU disc against the SS one in regards to video transfer. People are so quick to say the SS version in the one to get for transfer and extras. Extras? Yes, Transfer? It's all personal preference. You want nice bright colors and a good solid transfer, plus all of the extras and great packaging, get the SS disc. If you want lower contrast, with greater detail and a solid transfer, but only a few extras, then get the BU disc. It's that simple. Here's a disclaimer from dvdcompare.net in regards to the post by Rockmjd:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2004
  2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I don't think we can say SS has lower detail yet. Not based on I've seen on this site though. The SS disc looked better to my eyes, and that's where my money has gone. The yellow tint of some of the BU disc is also a minus point - but once again some people say there BU discs don't have that tint. Which leads me to think any perceived loss of detail in the SS is also not entirely real either. We just need a more professional comparison. Still, I've already gone for ss ;)

3. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

what's the onscreen title for the SS disc?

the original credits which are on the original italian version says ZOMBI 2 in red credits , instead of white credits which r on all the u.s. releases and most all imports......

Last edited: Aug 5, 2004
  4. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

SS's is a little to bright, i much prefer the BU screenshot of the dead body on the table with the white sheet covering it to the SS screenshot. But I have SS on order and i'm sticking with it.

5. Latency

Latency Guest

No doubt the SS is a great disc. If I was guy that was into awesome packaging and extras, there would be no doubt I would buy the SS disc over the BU one. The SS transfer is VERY nice and light years ahead of any other previous release too. I'm just really picky when it comes to image quality and it would eat me up alive if I would have went the SS route instead (because I prefer the BU image quality). It makes no sense because I only have a 27" Toshiba but I can still tell the difference when comparing transfers from different films. I know some time soon I'll have a projector and every DVD purchase I keep that in mind. I would still really like to see some normal screenshots of the SS disc (not anamorphically stretched). Alot of you guys now have the disc so how about it ? I posted my time stamps already so it's actually quite easy :).

Watts - The tint for the BU disc still shows up on my computer screen when watching the movie. It does not appear to be there at all on my television screen though, maybe my Phillips DVD player has some sort of image enhancment or something. I know it's got a 4X Video Upsampler and "Smart Picture". Who knows, maybe that's why it looks better .... I could be color blind and maybe calibrated my TV based on my preference with the THX Optomizer (which could be wrong for other people) :).

6. dwatts

dwatts New Member

-- I'm just really picky when it comes to image quality and it would eat me up alive if I would have went the SS route instead (because I prefer the BU image quality). --

Weird, I'm really picky too, and prefer the SS :D I guess it's all subjective at this point.

As for one day getting a projector, all you can really do at the end of the day is to make sure your purchases are anamorphic. Oh, and get a true widescreen projector to take advantage of it. Other than that, buying for a projector or TV is the same proposition.

7. Ichi

Ichi Guest

Some movies shouldnt have "picture perfect" image quality.

Like, I dont understand the point with totally cleaned version of "Evil Dead". The movie is supposed to be grainy and dirty. Thats why I just bought a original 1982 VHS of the classic!

But still, I dig the SS version of Zombi!

8. Swearboy

Swearboy New Member

Does the booklet in the bottom right come inside the DVD package or is it something that only comes if you order directly from Media-Blasters?

I know the girl who drew it and I would really like a copy.

9. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Its included inside the DVD.

10. Number Six

Number Six I am not a number...

The second screen camparison on the dvdcompare site has the guy sitting with the lines on the wall behind him. And the lines are different colors in each version... Could one of you kind folks with the SS/MB version check to see what color the lines are just then? I thinks it's extremely odd how varied each version is, and I was merely curious how the SS/MB disc fares.

11. Latency

Latency Guest

Like Dwatts and I stated. It's all subjective. I want this movie to look good because I love the atmosphere the cinematography creates (the lush jungle and the very well shot night scenes for example). This is a movie that needs to look good to create this atmosphere (for the most part). Now TCM, a documentary type movie shot in a shithole town somewhere in the USA, really needs a grainy nasty transfer to create it's effect (IMO again) because it's a gritty nasty movie to begin with (an anamorphic upgrade would be ideal though, for people with large displays). Both SS and BU transfers make this movie shine and as others have stated, "it's like watching a totally different movie".

12. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

'scuse me?That "guy" is Mr.Fulci himself!!

13. Swearboy

Swearboy New Member

Thanks. I'll be ordering the SS edition for sure now.

14. gorasu

gorasu Guest

Loophole at Best Buy

My local Best Buy had the SS edition listed as "in-stock" on their website, but there were none on the shelf when I went to pick it up (the sales associate said it would arrive on the 17th). I went home and placed a "pick-up" order on their website, and two hours later they said my order was ready for pickup at the same store! Some Best Buy's obviously have it in stock, but they haven't put it out on the shelves yet. But if you place an order for "pickup" on their website, you should have no problem.

Somebody really screwed up this one...

15. Neuman

Neuman Guest

I gotta delete the screen grabs because my Photobucket bandwidth is up. I'll give someone an hour or 2 to save em and upload em elsewhere before I delete em!

16. Andrew

Andrew Guest

That's bad ass! I'll try that tomorrow I think. Did they give you any odd looks when you went to pick it up? And just to make sure, do you pay at the store or online?

17. gorasu

gorasu Guest

No odd looks- the girl at the register did laugh at the WE ARE GOING TO EAT YOU! bit, though. To tell you the truth, I thought they were going to hand me a copy of the BU disc instead. But no, it was the SS disc- I was in and out in five minutes. You pay online, and they just verify your order at the store and hand you the disc.

18. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Excellent, thanks.

19. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

oops i apologize. I guess i didnt read too closely lol

20. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Just purchased a sealed copy of the SS disc off of eBay for $18.23 shipped! :banana: