Zombie DVD

Discussion in 'General' started by marcx, Feb 4, 2003.

1. marcx

marcx New Member

Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but back in novemeber I receieved the AB Zombie disc. Having had the movie on a booted vHS for a while, I didnt actually watch the dvd till lastnight. I threw it in to check out the commentary.

This transfer is really bad. while it is an improvement over my VHs dub, there are some real messy parts to this, including an odd "glow" along the edges of the picture where it meets the bars for letterboxing.

Are the source materials just bad or what?

2. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I'm not sure what it is, but I've always been saying that the Anchor Bay disc is absolutely abyssmal! Easily one of the worst prints Anchor Bay ever offered. When they re-released it without remastering the print, I couldn't tell you how pissed off I was! :fire: But thinking on it now, could that have been a pre-courser to future double-dipping? It wouldn't suprise me.

3. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Thankfully, you, MC, and others here, posted that. I bought the AB VHS when the dvd went out of print, and I couldn't find it. Now, I am just going to wait for someone to offer a remastered dvd in a special edition, if that day ever comes!! The VHS is just fine, letterboxed, and from what you all are saying, not any worse quality than the dvd, maybe better.

4. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Shriek Show was supposed to be working on a SE of Zombie, but I've not heard anything on it in a while.

The reason Anchor Bay didn't upgrade the quality on it's re-release was because they were about to lose the rights to the film and wanted to make the last bit of money off of it that they could.

I picked up the re-release and agree, it's a terrible, terrible transfer.

5. I too have the re-release and I haven't watched it once. I prefer watching the AB VHS instead. If Shriek Show does come out with a SE of Zombie, I'll surely be getting that.

6. I watched the Anchor Bay DVD of Zombie and it is a terrible picture.

I also have a copy on laserdisc, I believe it is from Roan (feel free to correct me if I am wrong guys ;) ), and the picture on the laser is far superior to the DVD.

This is one of the cases where I am very glad to hold onto the Laser.

7. nlogax

nlogax Guest

im pissed because i got rid of my roan ld of zombie and got stuck with a shitty dvd:mad:
    the ld was MUCH better

8. Dunwich

Dunwich Guest

If only blaster could enlighten us about the Zombie DVD ;) everytime I've ask I've got no answer :( I'm really looking forward to an SE of this movie...

9. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Does it not piss anyone else off that all these posts that belong in Euro are going in General? I don't know why...it just...bothers me.

And I still don't think the DVD is that bad. Granted, it's not GOOD or anything, but it's still on par with a decent VHS and is far from unwatchable, IMO.

10. Yeah; I got the laserdisc, too. Looks good to me (and it has the commentary). I always assumed it was the same transfer as the AB DVD, but I guess not, huh?

11. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I bought this dvd a while ago. I was at horrorfind weekend in maryland (my homestate) and Michael Felsher (I guess I spelled his name right) was there. He was advertising their new dvds such as Nightmare City, Curse of the Devil, Sleepaway Camp Survival Kit, Near Dark, etc. After buying Nightmare City and Near Dark and getting a free extra rare Near Dark poster, I asked him about the zombie dvd. He said that they couldnt get the materials and were about to lose the rights (like said above by WesReviews) and wanted to make their last buck off it. I can understand that. The transfer is dissapointing, and sometimes makes me dizzy, but I can deal with it, and they have delivered so many other flawless transfers that a little screw up like this doesnt bother me.

12. mcchrist

Sounds possible, but could also be :bs:

13. Shannafey

I am just glad I didn't pay $20 for the dvd when it was originally released, or worse yet, be one of the fools who paid ridiculous prices on Ebay.

14. shift

shift Hot as shit!

How is this Movie : Nightmare City?

How do you all rate it over Zombi (Fulci film)?? Better /worse?

15. Shannafey

I thought Nightmare City was horrible!! I totally different kind of zombie film. Some people love it, some hate it, I'm one that hated it.

16. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

i don't think the AB Zombie disc looks that bad. (if you want bad, check out the Highlander dvd that came out years ago!) it's not the best transfer, but considering when it came out, it's not too bad. then again, i thought the DC dvd of Manhunter didn't look that bad either (and wondered why everyone complained so much about it).

17. Brillant! I loved NC. But be warned, it's not on the same page as Fulci's Zombie. They are both very different and should be viewed as such. NC is more along the lines of Zombi 3 and the likes: campy, gory, fun. I recommend it!

18. Fuck, you've just put me off buying Nightmare City now...

19. mcchrist

Nightmare City is fun, but nothing special IMO.

20. nlogax

nlogax Guest

NC is one of my all time favorite guilty pleasures. A real hoot! Love that dancing show song!
    :)
    BUY IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!