Zombie DVD

Discussion in 'General' started by marcx, Feb 4, 2003.

1. y2doublet

y2doublet Toxic Crusader

I had the first pressing of AB's Zombie-DVD, sold it and later bought the re-issue. So you could say I went a long way for such a mediocre transfer, but in all honesty I don't think it's really that bad. I had an old shitty, full-frame VHS of the film, which also was cut in parts, prior to the DVD so I'm happy with the transfer I got for that low price.

2. Atmims

Atmims Guest

I personally had no problems with the AB release. Especially for the cheap price. I would recommend if you want the movie to go ahead and get the AB re-release, its not THAT bad.
    Adrian

3. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Evil Disco Guy: Don't be. I didn't like ZOMBI 3 much at all but liked NIGHTMARE CITY quite a lot. Crazy movie, and it never lets up. It's worth a try for $13.

4. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I loved Nightmare City, it's one of those "good" bad movies and the interview on the AB disc is funny, I like how Umberto Lenzi tries saying the film is pretty realistic. :lol:

5. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

i thought Nightmare City was pretty slow.. altho i did enjoy it

6. I enjoyed Nightmare City a lot! Lots of nudity, and *spoiler* I love it when the zombies wipe their mouths on their sleeves when they finish eating! :lol: *end of spoiler*

Worth a watch, but be ready for a very different kind of zombie movie.

7. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I didn't think it was such a bad tansfer either when I had a regular 32 inch tv. I put it in last night to see how it looked on a 47 inch widescreen set and the verdict...it still doesn't look that bad. Don't get me wrong it doesn't look great but it sure isn't the worse I've seen. I would gladly welcome a 16x9 cleaned up version but just having the AB version is ok for now. Oh I also love the radio spots on this disc. The radio spots bring back great memories of hearing those cool ads during the week then going to see the movie on the weekend at the drive in. If Shriek Show puts this out please get the radio spots on it.

8. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Yeah, with what looks like burnt oatmeal or something on their faces.

9. rhett

rhett Administrator

NIGHTMARE CITY is a bad movie classic. I still think the ending
    "The nightmare becomes reality..."
    is the best apocalyptic cheese ending in the history of cinema. Simply hilarious.
    It is like one of those stories we told in Grade 1: "...and then I woke up!" :D

10. dlundh

dlundh Guest

I just don't get why everyone seems to rally around the really bad AB transfer. Literally every other release of this title is better.

Buy the Italian Shock release and get a better transfer and the movie uncut, why settle for a far inferior transfer and a cut version of the movie?

Oh well...

11. mcchrist

Yeah, get the laserdisc!

12. y2doublet

y2doublet Toxic Crusader

Well, it's more like that Zombie isn't exactly my all-time favorite movie, but I still want a copy of it. So with that in mind, and the cheap price, AB's disc is pretty satisfying.

13. Vasilis

Vasilis New Member

I bought the Italian shock version, after comparing it with the ab edition, i have to say as far as image quality goes, that the IS version is a lot better. The sound quality is better on the Ab edition, but the IS disc features the entire soundtrack of the movie on the dvd.

14. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I enjoy the movie for the $9.99 I spent on it.

15. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Another vote for the superior Roan laserdisc. The Japanese LD wasn't terrible, either. AB's DVD is okay...come to think of it all of the above were much better than the theatrical showings I attended in '81 and '83 (yeah, Zombie tended to have a couple of re-showings at downtown theaters in Reno where I grew up). However, the color and grain on the LD is wonderful. I wonder how much better this film can look, though...I hope I find out soon, ya know? Zombie was the first gore film I saw so it holds a special place in my heart: I was ten when I saw the film on a triple bill with Blood Beach and The Boogeyman ("Triple Horror Show - three blood curdling classics together for the first time!" the newspaper ad screamed)...what a great Saturday afternoon. I still have ad (both,actually - one from Reno and the other from San Francisco). Ah, the memories!

16. mcchrist

I love Zombie, and the Roan LD is fantastic!!!!

17. Richard Anthony

Richard Anthony Member

It sounds like I will be picking up the Anchor Bay ZOMBIE DVD soon. For only $9.99, it will be great to own the film on DVD in widescreen, with some great extras. I'll be picking it up at Best Buy this week. It sounds like a good deal to me.

18. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

It is a good deal. I urge you to get it. Grant it the picture quality was dissapointing. But for 9.99 it's a steal.

19. y2doublet

y2doublet Toxic Crusader

Agreed. Go out and get it already! :)

20. marcx

marcx New Member

wow-i didnt think I wasd going to generate three pages of comments! Ill agree for the price its worth having, especially since mine was a gift, but its still a bad transfer anyway you slice it...