Zombie film plot explanations

Discussion in 'General' started by The Joker, Apr 26, 2016.

1. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

I'm interested in everyone's take on this. It's just my opinion for what it's worth.

Seems like every "living dead" type of movie or TV show, where the dead comes back to life, out of their graves, etc. is always explained by way of a "chemical spill" or a "virus" or something similar. It's almost like they're trying to make it realistic or believable by coming up with a valid reason why something like that might occur.

I would like to see the dead rising and walking the streets just because. Not because some boob accidentally leaked chemicals into the earth or because of a sickness. For me, that takes the darkness out of the idea. It makes it too conventional.

I realize I may be in the minority here.

What do you guys think?

Mok likes this.
  2. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Aren't most zombie films made with the intent of making a substantive statement about society. To pull that off there needs to be a basis in reality.

I think "unexplained" works better with slashers than zombies.

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD the cause was radiation from a satellite.

Kim Bruun likes this.
  3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I prefer a more supernatural explanation, like a curse, voodoo, or just returning from the grave for revenge :)

Though, Space slugs works as well :D

Workshed, Mok and buck135 like this.
  4. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Interesting discussion.

Dead Snow (2009)
    might be what your looking for. It's the closest I can think of that doesn't involve a virus/sickness or chemical spill. Although it doses involve another reason why they are killing people. But very unique, I may add.

I'll admit it's very hard to come up with a zombie film without some sort of reason on why they are walking around though.

5. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I love the idea of zombies appearing randomly without warning, without explanation. The whole virus/chemical reasoning is so played out and it seems that it's all they can come up with. Either that or perhaps audiences need a quick spoon-fed reasoning so they invest in the story without doubts. I just can't anymore with the way the genre has turned out.

The Joker likes this.
  6. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I think the reason can be an effective scare. 28 Days Later had people thinking about the possibility of a virus causing humans to become rabid. There was also the man in Florida that ate someone's face after consuming bath salts. If a good enough explanation is provided, it can get the buy in of an audience.

Romero never gave a reason why in NOTLD. The radioactive satellite was being discussed as a possibility in the news report by the government officials in Washington, but it was never confirmed or mentioned again. The reason wasn't what was important in that film or its five sequels. How people reacted to the threat and each other was.

zbinks likes this.
  7. The Joker

I agree that it's hard to come up for an explanation without the chemical/sickness angle. But I don't necessarily see why there has to be one either. To me, when the military is involved etc, it just becomes too mechanical and government-esque.

8. The Joker

To be honest, I was a little disappointed at their slight allusion to a virus causing the problem in the Walking Dead.

Cue eye roll.

That just seems like someone clicked the "insert cause of living dead" button instead of trying to be original.

9. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I would think one of the more interesting explanations for a zombie outbreak would be in [REC] 2.

Steel76 likes this.
  10. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I loved that one :)

Too bad they had to fuck that up in Rec 4 though :(

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I think there's an over reliance on plot/character explanations in film in general. Everything needs a "backstory" or "origin". It's in all genres, not just horror. But to keep it confined to horror, I've gone on ad nauseum about how much I hated that Laurie Strode had to be Michael Myers' long lost sister. I loved the randomness of the first movie, completely thrown away in the sequel and all further films.

buck135 and zbinks like this.
  12. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I believe that when there's no more room in Hell, the dead shall walk the Earth.

wago70, Steel76, msw7 and 2 others like this.
  13. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

As all of the trailers for Return of the Living Dead repeatedly say ad nauseum, "They're back from the grave, and ready to party".

The fuck else you looking for?

baggio and Steel76 like this.
  14. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Fulci's zombie's tended to be more supernatural in origin. There's hints of voodoo rites in ZOMBIE, End Of Days warnings in CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD (zombies even seemed to teleport in that film) and the ever popular Gate To Hell of THE BEYOND. Ken Weiderhorn's SHOCK WAVES had living dead commandos intentionally created for use in the second World War returning to murderous action.

baggio likes this.