ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS 2 DVD by Vipco

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by mazzariniuk, Mar 11, 2002.

1. mazzariniuk

mazzariniuk Guest

I posted this over at Mobius but decided to put it here aswell...

Having never seen the film before and only ever reading negative press about it, I decided to nip out and buy Vipco's DVD release, the film was enjoyable but lets talk about the DVD. Like many of their releases the picture quality is well behind Anchor Bay and not much better than Dragon Film Entertainment, but if you can get past the flaws it is actually not bad, the sound is very good and Stefano Mainetti's score comes through crystal clear. Also included on the disc are filmographies for Lucio Fulci, Beatrice Ring, Deran Sarafian and Ottaviano Dell'Acqua, trailers for PSYCHIC KILLER, CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST, MOUNTAIN OF THE CANNIBAL GOD and SHOGUN ASSASSIN, also there is a pretty poor gallery with stills from the film (where is the poster artwork from around the world?). The packaging states Region 2 but it is actually Region 0. The widescreen ratio jumps from 1.85:1 to about 1.78:1 after the opening credits and back again for the closing credits, the black bars are at a slight angle throughout the film and the edges of these are not well defined looking quite rough. If you haven't seen the film before and can't wait for Shriek Show to release it then pick it up, but you might find waiting much more rewarding.

2. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

My copy is on the way, can't wait to see how it looks - thanks for sharing.

3. mazzariniuk

mazzariniuk Guest

ZFE 2 DVD

No problem, my problems with the DVD didn't spoil my enjoyment of the film. Quite why I should enjoy this I don't know, but I think it has to do alot with the pacing which is extremely fast, it never becomes boring ... something is always happening. It is a shame that we don't know who directed which bits of this film, not knowing if one should praise Fulci, Mattei or Fragasso for certain scenes is a tad annoying. But it is a great little film and far better than I expected, I have watched it twice now and I think I will watch it again before the day is through.

4. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Is it cut?

5. Kieron

Kieron Guest

Having never seen this film I feel sure I'll pick up the Vipco disk at some point in the near future, as much as it pains me to do so. I don't like to encourage companies that treat their customers with the contempt shown by Vipco by giving them my hard earned cash. At least now they seem to have cottoned onto the fact that collectors want widescreen disks. Now if only they'd get the message that anamorphic enhancement is also a must have. I've never been able to fathom why so many European DVD companies seem to disdain anamorphic enhancement. Does anyone know if this is a costly procedure when mastering disks that greatly adds to the expense of producing dvds?

6. mazzariniuk

mazzariniuk Guest

Cut or not!

According to the sleeve it is uncut, and Vipco champion Jay Slater stands by this. Although the DVD is missing a prologue found on the Japanese release it looks to be uncut as their are no jumps etc.

I am sure Anamorphic enhancement costs more, but when you see that Warner budget DVDs are anamorphically enhanced and cost about £11, one does wonder why Vipco's non-anamorphic DVDs cost about £19.99. I know you can shop around but still at a RRP Vipco's DVDs cost a bit to much, especially when you consider the quality ... digitally remastered ... what bollocks!

7. slinker

slinker Un-Holy Force.

Is it nice and gory like the previous?? how are the fx??

8. skinnypuppy6

skinnypuppy6 Guest

I guess I'll be ordering it just to go with my growing Vipco collection

9. mazzariniuk

mazzariniuk Guest

Gore blimey!

I found the film to be more bloody than gory, in saying that I mean that there is not alot of close up flesh ripping but plenty of blood. The FX are OK, quite passable in fact we are not talking as good as ZOMBIE but they are certainly not as bad as HELL OF THE LIVING DEAD.

10. skinnypuppy6

skinnypuppy6 Guest

the flying head is pretty bad thow

11. mazzariniuk

mazzariniuk Guest

Heads Up!

I wasn't going to mention that, the first time I saw it I thought WTF, but on the second viewing I enjoyed its cameo, besides FX wise it isn't that bad. It all adds to the charm of the movie, it is certainly one of my favourite spaghetti splatter flicks, I never thought I would see the day that a film involving Mattei would become a favourite of mine!

12. crank

crank Guest

Don't tell me your dissing Bruno. Thats not cool.

crank

13. skinnypuppy6

skinnypuppy6 Guest

me dissing bruno? No way! he's my idol!(but I am my idea) and this film rocks But, it's no zombie flesh eaters/zombie/zombi 2/woodoo!
    any film no matter who made with a flying head and a Talking zombie starts to register on my cheese scale but its good cheese!

ps sorry about the eric von zipper reference(cheesy) (for those of you that got it:)[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2002
  14. Lindane

Lindane Guest

People I need help. Unfortunately, I am just starting to get into these kinds of films. I know that alot of them go by the same name. Iv'e seen (on the net) like Zombie, Zombi, Zombies, Zombi3, Zombies2, etc. Which ones are good? Which ones have the same titles? I just bought some japanese Zombi 3 movie. Is this the movie you guys are talking about? Man am I confuzed! I really want these movies but just don't know where to start. Help me please.

15. piggwinn

piggwinn Guest

The japanese disc of Zombie 3 is actually a nice disc, although it is still non anamorphic it has a ratio of 1.85:1 and has a very nice clean picture with the pre-credit sequence in place, the only extra is a trailer for the film.

16. Taube

Taube Guest

I heard that possible Shriek Show/Mediablasters would release this title, is there any truth to this claim at all?

17. Kieron

Kieron Guest

It's certainly slated for release by Shriek Show, but how far down the line it is I have no idea. The smart thing to do would be to wait for this release I guess.

18. Taube

Taube Guest

Ya Kieron, that WOULD be the smartest thing. But are we humans known for our intelligence ;-) Rellay want to see this again, especially now when I confused (and bought) Hell of the Living Dead for it LOL.

19. stone88

stone88 Guest

Is this DVD from Vipco PAL or NTSC??

20. mazzariniuk

mazzariniuk Guest

PAL.