zombie(here we go again)

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by zombi3, Sep 15, 2001.

1. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

anyone notice that anchor bay have yanked the re-release of zombie off their future release list? what's the deal? ANOTHER rights discrepancy?

2. skinnypuppy6

skinnypuppy6 Guest

basicly the zombie remastered version is DEAD

3. dotgain37

dotgain37 Guest

Yes, it has been pulled/pushed back. Just came back from the chat over at HTF, with Michael Felsher from Anchor Bay. He said that they couldn't re-master it the way they wanted, so they decided to push it back (he didn't mention any time frame). AB may re-release the old disc at a lower price though.

Let's hope that ItalianShock's version will be good enough for now.

/Dotgain

4. Eibonium

Eibonium Guest

Besides, the R2 release entitled "Woodoo" is an allright version of the film.

5. mgfred

mgfred Guest

Woodoo is R0 not R2 but is in PAL, very available as well, if AB releases their previous version again it will sell just as well.

6. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

I'll bite the bullet and buy the lower priced disc from AB. I missed out the first time:( It'll tide me over until the remastered one shows up.

7. dlundh

dlundh Guest

For thos of you still undecided on which version to buy, Japan Shock Video (or Italian Shock Video) has yet another release of the film on its way:
    Zombi 2 Announcement

I think their releases so far (Japan/Italian Shock) has been OK so I'm gonna get their version of Zombie although I have ABs old disc.

8. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

I don't think the Italian Shock version is available yet. I'm still waiting. I read it was delayed. If the transfer is anything like their NYR, the pic should be pretty good.

9. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

I'll definitely pick this one up.

10. mazzariniuk

mazzariniuk Guest

Why Oh Why

does everyone give the AB release of ZOMBIE such a hard time. I for one was very pleased with the quality of the DVD. Granted the picture quality wasn't up there with the likes of THE BEYOND and THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY, but it was still far better than other DVDs on the market. I also get the impression that I am the only person in the world that enjoyed the commentary (granted Jason Slater came across like a child in a sweat shop) but Ian McCulloch had some interesting stories, although I still can't spot him in WHERE EAGLES DARE (any ideas at to what part he played?). A friend of mine purchased the UK extreme version of ZOMBIE aka ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS here in the UK, and after viewing the AB version he told me that the picture and sound were far better than his trimmed UK version.

11. mgfred

mgfred Guest

I'm very happy with my AB copy of Zombie as well, I won't look for another one unless somebody comes up with a edition that blows the doors off of it with goodies like the soundtrack etc.

12. ian

ian Member

i agree. it's not perfect, but it's certainly not total shit either.

13. skinnypuppy6

skinnypuppy6 Guest

has any one compared A.b's zombie to the zombie flesh eaters disc?

14. Fredson

Fredson Guest

Isn't the Zombie Flesh Eaters UK disc cut???
    That's at least what I heard!
    Fredson

15. I've had various prints of Zombie Flesh eaters, and by far the best I've ever seen was the widescreen Danish Vipco release - on VHS & under the title 'Zombies 2' - which blows the Anchor Bay print away. There's none of the grain or print muddiness of the AB print, and the transfer is the cleanest I've ever had the pleasure to see. I stil have this VHS version & won't buy the AB disc until a substantially better print is available. The German 'Woodoo' is a decent print too.

16. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Its a shame that AB can't cut the mustard remastering this bitch, the original DVD was horrible (quality-wise) as far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't settle for crap. Re-releasing the original disc would be like putting a fresh coat of paint on a turd.

17. who can argue with that?

18. Zombie

Does the AB DVD look very different from the laserdisc? 'Cause my laserdisc looks pretty good to me (and, yeah, the commentary's dope).

19. mgfred

mgfred Guest

The AB dvd is the same transfer as the laser, however compared side by side, the laser's color is stronger, similar to comparing Elite's Maniac & Re-Animator's lasers to the dvds, the lasers look a little better. AB used the same transfer Roan did on the laserdisk with the same commentary and extras.

20. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

Just got a Zombie LD off of e-bay. I'm curious to see how it looks.