Zombie Lake VS Burial Ground VS Zombi Holocaust

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Hellbilly, Oct 26, 2005.

?

vote!

1. Zombie Lake

3.1%
  2. Burial Ground

68.8%
  3. Zombi Holocaust

28.1%
  1. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Watched those three today and had a blast doing so. Not sure which one I enjoyed the most, so here's a little comparison test:

ZOMBIE LAKE (1981)

People keep saying this is one the worst (Zombie) movies ever made and I have to disagree. It's quite entertaining if you love the cheese and Zombie Lake offers plenty of that, plus...

...nudity - Girls get naked all the time for the silliest reasons :D Nude swimming galore, sex in a barn, topless in a pub, flashing thighs on the street - you name it!

Nude-O-Meter: 10/10

...gore - Almost nuthin'. The Zombies in Zombie Lake suck. Literally. They act more like Vampires and the bucket of blood used for effects looks like tomato soup.

Gore-O-Meter: 1/10

...zombies - There are a few I think. Soggy German WW2 Soldiers wearing fancy uniforms with painted green faces. It's either a bad case of algas or someone dumped toxic waste in the lake, dunno. Either way, not very convincing zombies.

Zomb-O-Meter: 1/10

...entertainment - Bad dubbing provides unintentional humor throughout. Highlights includes a slow-mo knife-fight between two zombies, a giggling horde of female basketball players making waves, a touching daughter & zombie-father reunion and a sizzling hot finale. Best line: "The zombies have declared war!" 7/10

Overall rating: 4.7/10

BURIAL GROUND (1981)

...nudity - There is some, not as saucy as in Zombie Lake but hey, who's complaining? ;)

Nude-O-Meter: 5/10

...gore - plenty! non-stop guts-ripping, liver-fu and even more bowels action.

Gore-O-Meter: 8/10

...zombies - the rotting type (a bit on the cheesy side) wearing potato sacks and sometimes pants underneath. A few have plastic eyeballs while others are covered with maggots. Yum!

Zomb-O-Meter: 5/10

...entertainment - Well, we all know Burial Ground is all about Michael (Peter Bark). He runs the show, has the best lines and the funniest dubbing. Highlights includes Michael making out with Mom, Mom chopping up two zombies with a machete, Mom getting her nipple pierced, Mom bashing zombie head in, Mom setting two zombies on fire. Best line: "Momma, this cloth smells of death!" 8/10

Overall rating: 6.5/10

Zombi Holocaust (1980)

...nudity - it's a one woman show but better then nuthin ;)

Nude-O-Meter: 5/10

...gore - should please the gorehound: eye-gouging, throat-slitting and lots of bowels eating.

Gore-O-Meter: 9/10

...zombies - are present, more or less. They have asthma though, which causes to scare off the local cannibals. Speaking of which, they seem to have a much bigger appetite then the undead.

Zomb-O-Meter: 4/10

...entertainment - Zombi Holocaust is a bit stiff and takes a while to get in gear. Sadly the dubbing ain't 'bad' enough but there are still a few moments of unintentional humor. Highlights includes a male nurse (dummy) jumping out of a building losing his (mannequin) arm when hitting the ground, brain surgery, scalpel-fu and one of the biggest poles ever used for impalement. Best line: "I'm anxious to perform experiments on a male caucasian brain!" 6/10

Overall rating: 6/10

My winner is:

[​IMG]

Which one is your fave outta those three?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2005
  2. 4Gotten1

4Gotten1 Guest

I'd have to say Burial Ground -- Nights of Terror. There's just something about this movie, on the one hand it's actually creepy in some parts, and on the other hand there are very funny moments like the teet sucking child/man. I actually own Zombie lake, cuz I got it for dirt cheap, but still have not made it past the opening skinny dipping sequence. I'll have to remember this next time in in the mood for some cheese. As for Zombie Holocaust, I'm a fan of this movie too but it's been a while since I've seen it, must check it out again soon to relive the many beautiful moments. I think another great addition to this comparison would be Nightmare City, which is a great cheese fest in and of itself. AKA: cheesville City.

3. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

Nice reviews, Hellbilly. Now these three movies get a lot of play on my DVD player for the sole fact that they're so damn fun!

Zombie Lake? Nazi zombies and barenaked ladies!
    Zombie Holocaust? Cannibals, zombies, a mad doctor, Ian McCulloch and a naked Alexandra Delli Colli!
    Burial Ground? Zombies with faces like wasp nests and Peter Bark!

Have to go with Burial Ground as my favourite. Peter Bark freaking rules.

4. de rossi

de rossi Guest

Holocaust all the way man!

5. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Haven't seen Burial Ground but I truly loved Zombie Lake. Great nudity, a slo-mo zombie knife fight, and you can see the pool lining in the background of what's supposed to be a lake. Plus, the zombie father/human daughter story is just so damn heart-wrenching! :cry:

Wasn't a big fan of Zombie Holocaust though. Too slow moving.

6. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Agreed. I like that there are two segments to this, the scenes in NY and the scenes on the Island. The gore is pretty good too. I really don't watch Zombie films to see naked ladies.

7. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

I say Burial Ground,but I also have a guily pleasure for Zombie Lake.

8. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

How dare you make me choose between these classics??:mad:

9. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

Think of it as an extra perk.

10. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

I hated Zombie Lake and I'd probably rank it as the worst zombie film I've seen, but the other two choices were tough to decide. I'd say "Michael" was the deciding factor that made me choose Burial Ground.

11. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I've seen BURIAL GROUND so many times now....it's probably my second favorite Euro zombie movie [HELL OF THE LIVING DEAD is still the champ.] I've just never been able to get into the other two for whatever reason. I think it's that ZOMBIE HOLOCAUST just has too much confusion about whether it wants to be a zombie film, a mad doctor film, or a cannibal movie. But then again, HELL OF THE LIVING DEAD is basically a National Geographic Special with zombie scenes inserted at random moments.

12. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Zombie Lake is one of the worst films I've ever sat through. The subplot with the main Nazi zombie having a daughter is ridiculous and funny as hell, but there's far too little of it to save the film. For the most part it's just incredibly boring and excruciating to get through. I was honestly surprised I made it through the whole film in just one sitting.

Zombi Holocaust, on the other hand, is nothing but fun cheese throughout. Pure entertainment.

Still, my vote goes to Burial Ground. It has its fair share of cheese, but its also rather creepy in a weird way, and the locations and atmosphere add to the film immensely. Great looking zombies too, and of course, Peter Bark.

I think the excluded Nightmare City trounces them all though.

13. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Burial Ground gets my vote, but Zombi Holocaust is just about as great. I thought Zombie Lake was crap.

14. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

Burial Ground all the way.

15. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I love all of these movies, but I went with Zombie Lake because it's the most entertaining and blatantly bad of the bunch. :D

16. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Burial Ground is one very creepy film, even with all it's faults.
    The ending theme is also spooky. And that final shot...

17. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Burial Ground. Although the
    throat slashing/eye eating
    kill in Zombie Zombi Holocaust was awesome, Burial Ground was just more exciting.

18. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

[​IMG]
    "Mama! We're kicking ass in this poll!"

19. Coverdale

Coverdale Guest

Haven't seen Burial Ground (but the trailer looks good). I picked Zombie Lake for the nudeness.

20. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Those three movies were oozing with nudity and sex - especially Zombie Lake - which hasn't anything to offer besides nudity so I just thought wth, lemme rate the skin as well.
    One thing I noticed though, the smaller the budget for a foreign zombie movie - the more nudity you get :D