Zombie on UK Blu-ray from Arrow

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Nailwraps, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

You gotta be kidding me?!...I just received this yesterday too. I can't believe they're making you pay for a replacement disc; I can't believe none of the reviewers caught it...kinda sucks for us oversea-ers. Luckily I didn't buy the Arrow BD for the transfer...just mainly the supplements that I thought lacked on the Blue Underground disc.

Man, just when I thought Arrow had the perfect release...better packaging, better special features, and what sounds to be a slightly superior transfer,... they find some way to muck it up. DISAPPOINTED!

2. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

It's like I said...

Nice extras, jerks!

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

And now everybody for 6+ months is gonna be like "Is Amazon selling the corrected disc yet?!?" :eek1:

But yeah, I was thinking of perhaps ordering this sometime... but now I'm glad that I waited. I'll just stick with the BU version for now, which is still a very solid release. I definitely don't want to go through the headache of getting a replacement disc from overseas!

4. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

While I don't have their Zombie release, I must say I think they are actually doing the right thing with their "replacement" program for Zombie Flesh Eaters.

First, I've ordered directly from their store, and being in Canada, shipping was quite reasonably priced and fast. So I don't see it being that much of a headache if ordering overseas.

And second, you don't have to pay to ship your own disc to them, so right there that, to me, justifies them charging for the "disc only" from their webstore. Plus it weasels out those forging "Proof of Purchase" as they mentioned. So either way you'd probably be spending that same amount of money just to get the replacement disc via the classic method. Plus you don't have to wait for them to receive yours, you just pay and they mail it right out. That to me saves a lot of hassle, time, and headaches if you ask me.

5. Katatonia

Yes MorallySound, but you still have to pay just to get the replacement disc. This could have been avoided with better quality control.

£5.00 is around $8.00 US. That would hardly make me happy being forced to spend more just to get the correct product.

6. MorallySound

I'm just saying you'd be paying either way to get the replacement disc with shipping. And the way they are doing it speeds up the process of you obtaining a replacement disc if you so choose.

7. Katatonia

Yeah I know, but I still find it lame. I ordered a CD from Europe about 6 months ago from a very small record label. There was a 2-second audio dropout/defect. They sent out free disc replacements the world over, no questions asked.

8. Chomp

Yeah, because that's what I want to look forward to every time I purchase an Arrow disc...the possibility I may have to buy a replacement disc.

Maybe you're just trying to be a "glass full" type of guy, but stop trying to justify the situation. They fucked up...again. Its a real hassle for the consumers because it keeps happening. Quality control over there is for shit. They are just lucky their packaging is so cool, otherwise I'd really rip them a new one.

9. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

a little disappointing, but i've got two other (complete) copies of the film in my library that i never had any intention of getting rid of. if it were shots of Auretta Gay scuba diving that were missing, i'd probably be a lot more upset ;) but as it is, i can live without a couple of seconds of sailboat. i'm not about to spend $8 for a replacement.

10. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

It's a wonderful transfer and I had no idea any footage of the boat was missing in the beginning. AKA, I don't give a rat's ass about a replacement. It's nice that they are offering a way for those that want it though.

11. MorallySound

Update from Arrow. Here ya go Chomp.

12. Katatonia

^^ Well kudus to them for doing that.

They need to seriously monitor the quality control of their titles though, to avoid snafus like this in the future.

13. Chomp

Wow...watched the Arrow disc over the weekend. It is definitely superior to the BU transfer. I was expecting a slight variation, but the difference was greater than I had anticipated...for the better. The colors "popped" more so on the Arrow transfer than from what I remember on the BU disc. It also didn't looks as soft. I noticed a lot more detail in facial features...and the zombies had texture, they didn't look like wax.

I was impressed.

I just also want to point out how much I love the Fulci zombie...just the mannerisms of them and such...head down, slouched over, and extremely slow moving...that's how you'd think a corpse being controlled only by its brain would operate. Its also extremely effective at being downright creepy. I think they may be my favorite "type" of zombie.

14. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

I agree with you. Fulci certainly knew what he was doing. He perfected the zombie. This is such a remarkable film and I certainly appreciate the work put in by Arrow. It is a shame however that they always seem to have an issue with so many of their releases. There is not one thing that I would change with this film. It is perfect in my eyes.

15. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Yeah, I hate to admit it, but I always loved this and ROTLD more so than even the Romero films.

16. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Sorry for the negativity, but for a company that galvanizes on spending 9 months of production time and a huge amount of money to make this edition perfect... to release and incomplete print just means one thing...lack of quality control.

Maybe Arrow can work the other way around and refund us for £5 for advertising an uncut edition that is actually cut.

I like when they justify their move as anything but commercial gain:
    "The idea behind the £5 replacement disc programme on ZFE was not for commercial gain but was conceived for 2 reasons. Firstly as a company with few number of employees it was a way of facilitating the replacement programme without the administrative need to handle each enquiry internally. Secondly, we ran a replacement programme on The Beyond that was systematically abused, we wanted to avoid this situation again."

01- 5£ from us saves an employee to do an administrative handle... so, one less task and more to gain from the employer.
    02- 5£ may justify the abused The Beyond replacement programme.

What´s not to gain with all this...

17. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Arrow listened and it's no longer £5, it's free. This isn't worth getting upset about anymore. I don't even think it's worth the postage to get a replacement the issue is so minor.

I'm tired of people calling it "cut" which is a misrepresentation of what happened. No gore was cut. No censorship happened. The digital marker was wrong and that created a glitch. Hell if you were so inclined you could rip the transfer off the disc and get a perfectly full "uncut" film out of it. It's all there, the disc just had a bug. Those seconds of a boat are not worth £5. In fact I'd be willing to pay £5 less for such a copy.

£5 or six seconds of a boat... Hrm... tough decision. :rolleyes:

Even with the mistake this is still the best thing Arrow has ever done and better than Blue Underground has done. It's a shame they're taking such a beating over it.

18. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Well, I bought the thing, and have to eat my words a little. This is easily the best ZOMBIE has ever looked. While there could've been a little more tweaking to the color timing, it frequently looks amazing, with a level of detail I didn't even think possible for this film. If you're on the fence, put aside any fears and take the plunge. I'm not even mad about the stupid boat footage.

Now why can't they ALL look like this?!

19. mlock

mlock Member

Hope this is the right section to post this question:
    I was looking for feedback from you guys, the fans, as to which commentary track you recommend I listen to on the Arrow release. I don't spend too much time listening to commentary tracks and want to make sure I choose a good one. My initial choice was to go for the Stephen Thrower and Alan Jones track. What do you folks think?

Dammit! I guess I'm too late to participate in the disc replacement programme. It ended March 31st. I wonder if amazon.uk would send me a replacement copy? Is there a way to tell on the packaging if you own a "fixed" copy?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  20. mlock

mlock Member

Update:
    I sent amazon.uk an e-mail about my problem with the disc and they promptly responded saying that my replacement disc is not only on the way, but I could keep my defective copy since the shipping costs would be too high to bother. Talk about great customer service! I bought it back in January and they sent me a replacement just like that. :banana: :cool: