Zombie Physiology

Discussion in 'General' started by CasEjonz, Jul 12, 2009.

1. CasEjonz

CasEjonz Guest

This may seem pedantic but I was at a gathering of my girlfriend's family and she made a referance to her ethnic culture's love of a tenderized roasted meat, to which I said "Yeah, like zombies attracted to flesh." Then we got into a discussion of zombie physiology.
    Now, popular lore has given us that zombies are acting on a primal instinct to feed. They don't need the sustenance, but are only going through a base desire. That being said, what happens to all the flesh that a zombie would consume? Do they ever feel full? Probably not since their ability to feel any kind of sensation is no longer there. Do they break down the food? Do they have stomach acid to do so? If so, would they defecate like any body that processes food? If their organs do not work, would they not consume until they burst their stomachs? Good guess that Romero never thought that one through, but wanted to see other's thoughts on the concept.

2. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    If you think this stuff through too much, it all seems ridiculous! Think about rigor mortis and how the bodies wouldn't even be able to move (let alone run in newer flicks!).

3. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

Awww, come on dont ruin it for us!!!!Lmao.

4. CasEjonz

CasEjonz Guest

It would have made the most sense to reason that a fast movie zombie would be the freshly dead, and a slow moving zombie was one in state of rigor mortis. But there have been cases where the plainly obvious has been stated rather than ignored. Case in point "Night of the Living Dead (90)" When Barbara points out the fact that the zombies are so slow, that they could escape by walking right past them and it is exactly what she did. Granted, it would deflate the entire seige aspect of the movie if it is pointed out early on Though they are not considered zombies, in 28 Days Later, it was great to see how the rage virus played itself out by
    having the infected starve to death.

As far as zombie physiology goes, how about if a person was a vegetarian when they were alive, would the be dissuaded to eat meat as a zombie?
    Now granted it is overthinking,but they publish "research" and "self help" books in dealing with a zombie apocalypse, they even meld Jane Austen with a zombie outbreak, so I guess in some way, someone else had to have thought of this, just not goofy enough to beg the question in a public forum.

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Tsk. Tsk. Romero addressed all of these questions directly in Day of the Dead. Food is not digested, they do not eat to satisfy. You may need to brush up on the original trilogy and stop watching remakes of them. ;)

6. CasEjonz

CasEjonz Guest

Sorry I could not remember one small tid bit of information that Romero stated. Have not watched the special features of Day in quite a long time. I merely suggest that every action has a reaction, but of course if the body is dead, then it will not react in the same manner that a live body would. If you give a Zombie an Ipecac, it will not vomit. So therefore, if it ate for the sake of eating, it would gourge itself until it physically could not contain any more matter, and burst.
    I understand that my statement would come across as some fanboy overthinking of the obvious "suspend reality." Just as it would be alike response to point out a small iota of information hidden on a DVD somewhere, I just wanted to take a step and say if it really happened...what would happen?

I know there is some website that take pleasure in punching holes in "Hollywood Science" and how most things hollywood portrays cannot be done base on the law of physics, and its a bunch of eggheads that basically rip Michael Bay?Roland Emerich films to bits, so I imagine they would have a field day with this topic.

7. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I remember reading a short story once where over a long period of time, the devoured flesh produced gas that would occasionally make a zombie explode!

It was one of those stories that was about the zombie world, after the living had all been eaten. Those were always more amusing to me.

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

It's several scenes in Day of the Dead, when Dr. "Frankenstein" is first introduced and when Bud is first introduced. I'm not talking off hand remarks buried in an extra. These are plot points in the actual film.

You don't remember, that's fine. Not like this is a pop quiz and if you fail we kick ban you from the horror community altogether.

Anyways, Zombie Survival Guide also addresses this, mentioning how zombies bellies will burst when gorged. Haven't read his fictional narrative yet, so I don't know if he ever mentions it there and if it'll make it into the film adaption. Would be cool if it did.